Culture Taipei! - Yea or Nay?

Culture Taipei?

• Treasure
  • Trash
  • No plans to read it

0 voters

Not sure if this belongs in this section or in the books section. I’m sure the managers of this website will know where it really belongs.

I just heard about this book in today’s paper, “Culture Taipei!” Here is a link to the supporting website - culturetaipei.com

Has anyone bought a copy?

Books about Taiwan belong here in Culture & History.

I know who wrote this. Can’t believe it’s finally out.

I’ve bought the book. There are a lot of good things to be said about it. Unfortunately, its usefulness is severely constrained by its inconsistent and downright ridiculous approach to romanization.

I think a tighter focus on cultural matters would serve it better. The book is trying to do too many different things.

And to set an entire book in sans serif? What were they thinking?

The Web site is offline. My mother is here in Taiwan with me and i am looking for things to do with her!

You can check Google’s cache for the site. Go to Google an search for
taipei site:.culturetaipei.com
And then click on the cache of the page you’re interested in.

Yingge’s ceramics festival might interest her. There might be more info at the museum’s Web site: www.ceramics.tpc.gov.tw

And don’t forget to check Forumosa.com’s own events section.

Where can you buy this book?

Brian

I notice that the first page of the website refers to Tihua Street, which is a non-official romanization of Dihua Street. Tihua is a romanization belonging to a discarded romanization system that is no longer used in Taiwan. Dihua is both Hanyu and Tongyong. I wonder what their rationale is for using flawed/discarded romanization systems, and if they do so throughout the book.

Edit: I just checked, and indeed, all place names and addresses use romanization systems/flawed spellings that will never be reintroduced to Taiwan.

Who is the author? Why is his/her name not on the book?

I’ve seen it in Eslite. As it’s published by SMC (Nantian), you could always pick up a copy of it at the publisher’s store near Tai-Da.

Most of the Taiwan books in English seem to be published by SMC. Where’s their store? Someone told me, but I forgot.

Brian

Some things are in MPS2 and some in bastardized Wade-Giles, which, as you noted, are the only systems that definitely are not going to be used in the future. And some are just mistakes. Also, Ev Ery Thing Is Di Vi Ded In To Bro Ken And Cap I Tal Ized Syl La Bles. :noway: :raspberry:

Such a shame. The whole thing needs to be redone.

The authors are Christopher Logan and Teresa Hsu. Their names are on the cover, the spine, and the copyright page.

You haven’t been there yet? :astonished: You’ve got to go. You’ll love it.

Map of SMC’s location. Basically, it’s in the lane parallel to Xinsheng South Road, across from Tai-Da. I don’t think the store is labelled in English or romanization. Just look for the nan tian characters.

And while you’re in the neighborhood, be sure to stop in at the “Taiwan” store. It’s a little to the north of SMC, and in a lane perpendicular to Xinsheng South Road. If you look on the map I’ve linked to above, the Taiwan store is a little to the left of where the “lu” character is in Xinsheng Nan Lu 3 Duan.

Go today. Really.

SMC’s hours are 8:30-5:30, Monday through Saturday. Closed on Sundays.

taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003077889

Bradley Winterton reviews it here.

What does publisher’s name SMC stand for in English?

Thanks for the SMC adress Cranky. That’s just down the road.

I searched for that review Lane 119 provided too, but couldn’t find it. I see why now. Nowhere in the text does the name of the book actually appear!

Brian

“Southern Materials Center,” I think.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Thanks for the SMC adress Cranky. That’s just down the road.

I searched for that review Lane 119 provided too, but couldn’t find it. I see why now. Nowhere in the text does the name of the book actually appear!

Brian[/quote]

I had the same problem earlier today. Had to punch in the reviewer’s name. Funny!