Cure for Yellow Fever

Its a catchy title yes, and intended to be just that. I just came back from almost a month of holidays in Eastern Europe. I went to Krakow, Prague, Cesky Kremlov, Vienna, Budapest, Ainet (Austria), Bratislava and other mysterious places. I must say people in Europe are simply better looking than the West. They don’t get fat for some reason. Not sure if its junk food (lack of) or 4 months skiing per year or both. (I’m not picking on women here as its the same for both sexes…not that I’m paying attention)

IMHO, Polish girls are wonderful. Traditional, intelligent and beautiful and yes…they beat the Czech girls. I’ve not been to Croatia yet, bu I’m yet to be invited! :smiley:

I’ve met so many great girls in Taiwan during my time there, but there has always been a cultural divide that is difficult to cross. I spent a week with about 50 Hungarians on a Ski trip in Austria and although they took some time to adjust to my bro and I (we became known as ‘The Kangaroos’), they felt like family after 3 days. It really felt like a cultural connection after such a short time, even though my family is Dutch. After these experiences I realise that I probably can never feel truly at home in Asia. Its weird. These people aren’t even Dutch, yet so much feels familiar.

I suppose that we are all expected to conform to some degree to the place that we choose to live, but how many people here can agree to the local morality. Isn’t morality the biggest issue for all foreigners living in Taiwan? Of course the issue of morality is that we all belive our own morality to be superior to that of our those around us (or we wouldn’t hold those views!!). All of the rants on the Forumosa website attest to this very issue.

This then of course leads to the philosophical debate of whether morality is subjective or objective and I think most people here would argue that it is subjective. But this brings a new dilemna. Every person I’ve met who believes in subjective morality experiences moral outrage which is a contradiction no?

Although it sounds very confusing I assure you that I am less confused than most of you because I doubt anyone can give a reasonable response to this particular topic.

This very issue has been occupying my mind for the past 3 weeks since I am considering to go into business with my brother, but its unlikely we can succeed in this venture without giving up some of the morals that we were brought up with.

I realise this post covers various topics, so I encourage responses from everyone, but non-sensical / idiodical responses will be toasted appropriately.

regards,

Tyc00n

Another good cure for yellow fever is to go to Communist China for a while. If you still fancy Chinese birds after a year or so over here then you can call yourself a bona fide fetishist.

A place either works for ya, or it dont. Keep it simple and it all works out better.

You’ve got a few problems with your cure:

1. Cool Asians who travel abroad who pick up on Western values and culture, whether they come back to Asia or not.
  2. ABC’s/CBC’s (or their counterparts) who embody all the best of both worlds, as opposed to those that embody all the worst of both :smiley:
  3. Moral Chinese who embrace traditional cultural values and remain moral and upright
  4. Ugly, overweight, close-minded, ignorant, scheming, ethnocentric people of whatever country you go to

I think “yellow fever” is about 1) a preference for a certain look and 2) a desire for something different and exotic. Neither of which are bad in and of themselves, but that’s a really shallow reason to pursue a person. Of course, so is most initial reasons for pursuing someone.

As for relative morality, I think there are some absolutes that can be drawn, and that a person can only judge others by ones own standard of morality. What another person’s own beliefs are should inform such a judgment, but should not preclude it.