Current mask situation (July 27, 2022)

My wife and I have been talking at length about moving to Taiwan. We have come to terms with a possible quarantine (although not very long at this point with 3+4). The biggest issue that we have right now is the mask outside situation.

Now, I realize that there have been many “adjustments” to the mask rules. What are the real, on the street situations with mask wearing outside? Now that walking is considered exercise, and exempt to mask wearing, when is everyone wearing masks outside? And when are most people not wearing masks outside? We really interested as to what the real life situation is with this in Taiwan.

1 Like

Outside mask rule is effectively scrapped though many people still voluntarily follow it.

Basically walking down the street is considered exercise, and so you do not need to wear a mask.

It’s confusing as hell but it is what it is…

1 Like

If you don’t like masks don’t come.

8 Likes

It’s already being discussed/complained about endlessly in like three other threads, and who knows what it’ll be like when you actually get here.

Depends on what the CECC’s Magic 8 Ball tells them to do, and/or whose orifice they pull their quota of rules out of this week, next week, the week after that, and so on.

2 Likes

In no way did I say that I have issues with masks. When they make sense to wear, I am completely fine with it.

I really just wanted to know what the situation outside is like, in real life, in Taiwan. The amount of confusion with all of the changes to the rules makes it very confusing to know what real life is like in Taiwan right now.

1 Like

I didn’t really intend that this be a complaint thread - just more me being interested to know what exactly the case is in public right now - we may end up in Taiwan sooner rather than later.

1 Like

This appears to be from the Central Epidemic Command Center, on July 19:

This is a tweet from cookiebandit, who apparently was present at or had other access to the relevant CECC press conference:

I live on a fairly well-traveled street in Banqiao District, New Taipei City. The sidewalks on either side of the street get a pretty good deal of foot traffic, and the streets themselves get a good deal of vehicular traffic, including scooters. So far, since (1) the CECC’s apparent relaxation of the mask rule for exercising, coupled with the CECC’s apparent inclusion of walking in the definition of exercising, and (2) the CECC’s apparent relaxed mask requirements for scooter drivers and some scooter passengers, I’ve been occasionally looking out my apartment window at the pedestrians below, and it’s been quite unusual to see a pedestrian without a mask. If I’ve seen something like that, I’m guessing it might have had something to do with smoking or eating. But so far, what I’ve mainly seen–almost exclusively seen–is just about everybody wearing masks. And that goes for scooter drivers and passengers as well, bearing in mind that it has sometimes been difficult for me to tell whether a helmeted scooter driver or passenger is wearing a mask.

But those are just my observations, so far, of my little area of my street in Banqiao District, in New Taipei City.

9 Likes

There is no “right now”. It changes every day.

And that is why I used “if” instead of “since”. And I never was bothered with masks until I spent two summers in TW’s heat being masked up.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

4 Likes

It’s not indoor outdoor sports, it’s exercise. And the CDC has said if you believe you’re exercising, you are.

1 Like

I gently refer you to this, from that same post of mine to which you have taken exception:

But in keeping with my recently-adopted policy, I stipulate that you are right and I am wrong.

1 Like

A week ago they lifted the requirement to wear masks while on a scooter. Right now in Taipei, I guess 96% of riders still wear masks up on their noses, 3 percent wear one just below the nose, and one percent have one on their chin. Behind buildings, you see people smoking (without masks).

2 Likes

What the hell are you talking about? We’re on the same page…Cookie is mistranslating 運動 as sports

Now I’m really confused:

https://twitter.com/cookiebandit/status/1549277224259399680

Maybe I missed it, but at least in the above tweet, I don’t see where cookiebandit uses the word sports.

I got the word sports from this announcement, which is part of series of announcements which I think @MalcolmReynolds has been posting on a daily or near-daily basis.

The particular announcement in question contains an image of the above tweet by cookiebandit, but I don’t see where cookiebandit mistranslates exercise as sports.

But your point is taken, that this thread is definitely too rich for my blood. In the future, I’ll do my very best to confine my role in these kinds of threads to that of a reader.

Oh yeah it was from Malcom’s post. Let’s blame Malcolm and leave it at that. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

As I interpret it, you’re now allowed to go maskless outside as long as you can maintain social distancing, which means you’re technically supposed to still mask up nearly everywhere in Taipei City because there’s so much population density.

3 Likes

I post an attempt to be helpful. In response, you mischaracterize my post. I post a clarification. In response, you pretty much cuss me out. I post a further clarification. In response, you appear to be accusing me of blame-shifting.

I must say, you’re in exceptional form today.

Edited to add:

Google Translate’s translation of the above:

However:

https://translate.google.com/?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&text=運動&op=translate

The original notice/bulletin (as far as I can tell):

Over the years, I’ve noticed, because of some of my students’ answers to questions, that at least some of them seem to think of sports and exercise as meaning (or encompassing) the same thing(s) or at least as meaning something similar (which is understandable). I never gave it much thought until today.

But that’s Taiwan. Asking people to change habits is always Tai Ma Fan.

Jesus man, chill.