Current working status and permanent residency

My problem is rather complex. I’ve been here almost 9 years now, but mainly as a student. For the past year or so I’ve been working 12hrs at an academic government body without a student-working visa. This is not the first time that I’ve worked illegally at a government body, as most of them would rather hire you illegally because applying for a work visa is a hassle. With a student visa, they did not think it was necessary… I’m about to graduate (or be expelled! ) , and apparently I have to work 15 hours to get a real work visa. My old director refused to try to get me a work visa, but my new one is considering to look into it. Assuming that they try to get one for me, unless they lie on the application forms, I’m afraid that I’ll be denied a work visa, as I don’t work the required number of hours.

I was wondering if I could apply for permanent residency, but I haven’t been working for (all of) the past 3 years and I don’t have the assests required. Have these requirements also changed, considering the fact that permanent residency now confers the legal right to work anywhere? Will receipts proving that I exchanged money amounting to more than “twice the amount of the basic wage, set by the National Labor Union” be accepted in lieu of salary?

If I can apply for permanent residency, will I get into trouble for working illegally (now and/or in the past) for a government institution? Quite the mess, huh? Any advice would be appreciated!

RE: Applying for permanent residency

In the Immigration Law, there is no specific requirement that you produce evidence of previous years’ work permits in order to apply for permanent residency.

Assuming you are a single foreigner . . . . . . . from your above description it seems to me that you will have trouble meeting the “five years continuous residence with an ARC” requirement.