Custody Child : Who can help to find a female attorney in Ka

Hi there,

i dont know, if somebody could help me, but i hope someone may have an idea how to solve my probs.
Im a 27 ys old foreign mother of a Taiwanese child and im fighting now for the custody child. After nearly 2 years now and after the first meeting at the court, i may have a realistic chance for success. But now i need to hire a lawyer for continue the proceeding.

Thats y im urgently searching for a female lawyer in Kaohsiung, hopefully also mother and having experiences with such cases. My mainprobs is, i need an attorney who knows how to speak English and who has time to adopt my case immediately, because of next appointments.

Anyway thank you all for reading this lines and your help.

eisokey

Why a female and why a mother? Surely you want the BEST lawyer your money can buy. Seems odd to limit yourself in this way.

Sandman,

The OP is not OJ Simpson, i.e. does not need the “best lawyer money can buy” to convince the judge and jury of the impossible. She is simply looking for an effective lawyer who can, hopefully, empathise with her position (as you must know, empathy/ sympathy is a rare quality here) and with whom she can communicate with effectively.

Perhaps, as someone who presumably has been here a long time and with vast experience, if you are going to make a post on this topic then your energy might better be spent PM’ing her with the details of a lawyer that you can recommend ? She is obviously someone in a difficult situation and just needs help and positive suggestions.

I’m not remotely interested in this woman. I AM interested in why, given that she needs legal help in a hurry, she’s still stipulating irrelevant conditions upon who she’s prepared to hire, that’s all.
She has already stated VERY clearly that she’s NOT interested only in an effective lawyer. She wants a mother and a female.
I can’t PM her because the two very effective lawyers I know personally are male. :unamused:

More intelligent. :bow:

[quote=“sandman”]I’m not remotely interested in this woman. I am interested in why, given that she needs legal help in a hurry, she’s still stipulating irrelevant conditions upon who she’s prepared to hire, that’s all.
She has already stated VERY clearly that she’s NOT interested only in an effective lawyer. She wants a mother and a female.
I can’t PM her because the two very effective lawyers I know personally are male. :unamused:[/quote]

So given that you are not remotely interested in this woman, and clearly are not in a position to help her, what are your motives for making the post ?!

You say that she is stipulating irrelevant conditions, well clearly they are relevant to her (whether you agree with it or not). We can safely say that she did not make the original post to have the relevancy of her assumptions commented on. She is not asking for a lecture in logic, she just wants help and I am sure that you know that very well :wink:

I’m interested in the whys and wherefores. Why would someone be desperate enough to post to a bunch of strangers on the internet, yet not so desperate that she’d accept a male attorney? Not an earth-shattering interest, I admit. More mild curiosity, really. Whatever. It’s why they’re called “discussion boards,” y’know? I don’t REALLY know where to find sour cream, either, but that doesn’t stop me whiling away the boring desk-bound working hours posting about it.
Just like you haven’t answered my questions, either, or hers, for that matter, yet here you post, willy-nilly.
I don’t really care if she responds or not, either. Or rudely, or whatever. It’s the posting that’s the thing. The responses are secondary, unless they’re from my friends. Because for me, that’s what the flob’s all about.

I’m interested in the whys and wherefores. Why would someone be desperate enough to post to a bunch of strangers on the internet, yet not so desperate that she’d accept a male attorney? Not an earth-shattering interest, I admit. More mild curiosity, really. Whatever. It’s why they’re called “discussion boards,” y’know? I don’t REALLY know where to find sour cream, either, but that doesn’t stop me whiling away the boring desk-bound working hours posting about it.
I don’t really care if she responds or not, either. Or rudely, or whatever. It’s the posting that’s the thing. The responses are secondary, unless they’re from my friends. Because for me, that’s what the flob’s all about.[/quote]

It’s clear that the OP didn’t make her original post in order to put her comments up for “discussion”, or to be more precise- to be put down.

You say that for you the “posting is the thing”, which sounds kind of existentialist. Well now you have justified your existence, even though we already knew you exist :wink:

Sure, everybody’s entitled to hold their views and vent their frustrations if only purely for the sake of venting them and Forumosa is a good a place as any for that, but the divorce subforum is not the right place for that, don’t you agree ? People, like myself, have put postings on there because they find themselves in genuinely difficult and desperate situations, and maybe have tried other lawyers already without success.

I have actually PM’d the OP trying to provide some assistance- surely a better use of time and energy …

Its a goddamn discussion board. And I most certainly did not “put her down”, either. I simply asked why she was limiting herself to a much smaller cache of lawyers than she’d otherwise have at her disposal.
But thanks for putting your words in my mouth. They taste quite nice.

Its a goddamn discussion board. And I most certainly did not “put her down”, either. I simply asked why she was limiting herself to a much smaller cache of lawyers than she’d otherwise have at her disposal.
But thanks for putting your words in my mouth. They taste quite nice.[/quote]

Well there we must agree to differ. on whether your comments were in fact a put down (to me, a comment which does not contain any positive suggestion, for instance “a male lawyer would be just as effective in your situation as a female lawyer, I will be happy to recommend you one that I know …” is a good candidate for a put-down), and on the function of this subforum.

Up to other members and the moderator to have their say on that, I guess …

It’s a discussion board, so people will have their say, and their fun. The Internet is a lousy place for overly-sensitive types. If all replies were just straightforward answers said in all earnestness, where would the fun be? That being said, it’s also important to make sure that the signal to noise ratio isn’t too lopsided. And in a while, most of this conversation will also get temped, leaving only the useful stuff.

FWIW, I also wondered why the lawyer had to be female and a mother. It’s a strange requirement. I’d hire an effective gay bachelor male lawyer over a less competent female mother-lawyer any day. :2cents:

I guess she’s just frustrated with being patronised and dismissed and is looking for someone she can empathise with and who can empathise with her, as she thinks this kind of bond will help, more than simply money. She’s also not a native English speaker, and maybe doesn’t speak much Chinese either (I don’t know) and is looking to appeal to someone who can help her in a hurry. She’s looking for someone who will ‘take pity’ on her, to a certain extent. Someone who has been through something similar may be more willing to take this on.

You see this in teaching. Some adults don’t want to ‘bond’; they call their teacher an ‘instructor’ and want a very business-like relationship. Others want a teacher they can establish similarities with because they think it enhances their learning. Maybe it does?

It may seem dumb to you, but there’s evidence of this kind of bias in every part of the service end of things. It seems pretty understandable in what must be a difficult time. Me, I’d pretty much always choose to deal with a single, 30-something British female, if a choice were there.

But wouldn’t you hire an effective lawyer you had something in common with over an effective lawyer you had nothing in common with, especially over child custody? (Sorry, I mean ‘you’ as a general example)

[quote=“Buttercup”]I guess she’s just frustrated with being patronised and dismissed and is looking for someone she can empathise with, as she thinks this kind of bond will help, more than simply money.

You see this in teaching. Some adults don’t want to ‘bond’; they call their teacher an ‘instructor’ and want a very business-like relationship. Others want a teacher they can establish similarities with because they think it enhances their learning. Maybe it does?

It may seem dumb to you, but there’s evidence of this kind of bias in every part of the service end of things. It seems pretty understandable in what must be a difficult time. Me, I’d pretty much always choose to deal with a single, 30-something British female, if a choice were there.

But wouldn’t you hire an effective lawyer you had something in common with over an effective lawyer you had nothing in common with, especially over child custody? (Sorry, I mean ‘you’ as a general example)[/quote]

Good point Buttercup.

The woman in question is actually a Filipina. Too right she needs all the empathy and help she can get, given how South East Asian “foreign brides” are viewed and treated in Taiwan.

Don’t know anyone, though.

I don’t know how helpful this will be because I don’t have the direct information any more, but there is an organization in Kaohsiung that helps with women’s issues, specifically issues with leaving abusive men, I think, but they would have information about good lawyers. I don’t know if any are female, but there are a lot of women working with women who understand women’s issues. I don’t have their information, but I know that they have the information at Kaohsiung AIT. The op not being a native English speaker, she’s not likely and American, but I bet they would still help out with giving the contact information for that organization, if she asked. Kaohsiung AIT is very different from Taipei AIT in that they actually try to be helpful and even friendly. This is the number for Kaohsiung AIT: TEL: +886 (07) 238-7744

[quote]But wouldn’t you hire an effective lawyer you had something in common with over an effective lawyer you had nothing in common with, especially over child custody? (Sorry, I mean ‘you’ as a general example)
[/quote]
Personally I’d hire the best goddamn lawyer I could find. If that happened to be male, female, empathetic, sympathetic, outright antagonistic, green, from outer space wouldn’t really concern me. Handling my case in a court. That would be my ONLY concern. But what do I know? I’m a man.