Customs warning: ANY meat might cost you 10,000 NTD fine or more

Likely story !

Just before immigration gates they setup another check where they x-ray all your carry-on bags. It’s a right pain in the arse.

Must be a timing issue so, I flew in quite a few times in the last few months and never had to queue, I mostly get in in the early afternoon.

Sounds like an opportunity for the Donald to push US pork products to China (and Taiwan)

Worse. Ham on a 15 hour fight…with 2 hours wait plus drive… hope she did not eat it!

BTW they are fining also if they catch you with food from the plane. Pesky greedy Taiwanese customs officials! :laughing:

As to Japan, it seems their contagion must have started from buns brought by travellers:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201904030035.html

Their exports were affected:

More bun trouble:

Passengers carrying raw or processed foods to Japan from Vietnam must have a certificate of safety, failing which they face three years’ imprisonment or a fine of 1 million yen ($8,900).

And their security is up because of the Rugby Cup and Olympics, the luggage will be double checked, so I guess it is better to play it safe, even if it is just food:

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201909090026.html

In summary, I wouldn´t game it. Try not to play with fire and check that you may not be carrying stuff that will relieve you of your hard earned cash.

1 Like

European dry cured hams can be stored up to a year at room temperature. Google it.

What don’t you believe? And exactly what would the point of lying about this be? There was an euro=meltdown heat wave with temps into the mid-40s. My friends came back to Taipei just after that.

It’s a joke dude. :grin:

Somebody came from France to visit Taoyuan in June.:smile: If you look thru the posts here there’s a lot of ribbing about Taoyuan. You still had to make clear they ended up in Taipei though. :sunglasses::joy:

I know, like the whole legs my Spanish friends used to smuggle. Problem is once it went in the fridge, it ain´t kosher no mo, and it will easily get spoiled. It is dangerous for one´s health to play with food and transport it for long time not refrigerated.

And I understand people travel with weird foodstuffs. When I worked at the airport, I got a lady with preserved radish…wrapped in newspapers, yucky. It went to the bins.

South Korea has fallen. Wild boars migrating from North Korea could be the carrier.

2 Likes

Should have programmed Samsung sentry guns to kill North Korean boars on sight, not only NK soldiers.

I arrived on Air Canada in my flight to Taoyuan China (per email update)., they mentioned it in French and English, at the gate the gate agent mentioned in Taiwanese/Chinese the million dollar fine. Also about the bypass cards. Just a note going into Canada they asked about nuts and other foods, coming from Texas into Toronto.

Aussie now can and did expel a person for bringing in Pork. It’s long ban.

I guess @Dr_Milker is worried

I’m a domestic breed. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 kilos does not look like much but again, why? Raw squid and pork and quail on a flight? Why?

1 Like

My aunt in LA once put me back on my flight to Chicago with a huge Tupperware full of kimchi.

I love her to pieces, but I had to throw it out or else it would’ve been me getting chucked out halfway over the Rockies.

Technically speaking kimchi is kind of cooked/cured, at least, manufactured. I can understand that, like cookies or any other handmade item with a bit of processing. But raw?!

Indonesia has fallen.

African Swine Fever has killed over 28000 pigs in Indonesia. Wait, why are there domestic pigs in Indonesia anyway?

Except for Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Brunei, Singapore and Malaysia, African swine fever has now spread to most East Asian nations. It’s also in many Central and Eastern European nations.

Thank God it’s not transmissible to humans. Auntue Panic would have a reason to Panic!

1 Like