Customs warning: ANY meat might cost you 10,000 NTD fine or more

Why would Chicken have a carton of milk and not just squeeze it out of Cow?

Poor economical reasoning there. I expect better from a 90s kids cartoon

Who wants warm milk on their cereal?

Perfect for Porridge. Maybe Flem O’s are better crunchy

Yes. Wouldn’t want them getting soggy.

Soon…

Seriously, haven’t you seen Contagion?

1 Like

It can mutate any time and become transmissible to humans. The more it spreads the higher the chance. It is still fairly low, but I would not take any chances.

1 Like

Passengers carrying pork products from India to Taiwan will face a fine of NT$200,000 (US$6,688) for the first occurrence and NT$1 million for subsequent violations.

So you guys knew about the virus in December and didn’t tell WHO?

2 Likes

I told you guys!!!

3 Likes

If you are fan of carrying pork onto an airplane (!!!), please don’t do this from Bangladesh (!!!) to Taiwan. Authorities have warned you will be fined NT$200,000—and if you cannot pay up then and there, you’ll be denied entry and deported.

Guy

Just came back from Manila and they searched/x-rayed the bags in Taoyuan airport for meat as well. Never seen that before.

1 Like

They’ve been doing that for several years already. Not just meat but also any unprocessed food.

2 Likes

Me too, from Thailand. Though I don’t think that X-ray station is particularly new. They were definitely doing it last December and I seem to remember them doing it before COVID too.

I didn’t find them particularly thorough tbh. There was a unidentifiable splotch on the screen from my bag and the guy just pointed at it and asked me what it was, guessing “do you have chocolates or snacks or something?”. I told them it was coconut toffees and they let me go without checking.

(It was coconut toffees, and I was impressed they could guess as close enough as “chocolates” from the images.)

I’m even less sure how thorough they are with checked baggage behind the scenes. I had a load of coffee and tea and stuff in mine and it seems like anything unpermitted there would be considerably harder to detect.

Everytime I fly back from SE Asia to Kaohsiung they go nuts with the dogs and the signs and people running around, you’d swear people have ebola in their luggage.

3 Likes

It’s SOP, unless you are arriving from Japan or some other place deemed to be disease free. Then you get a little bookmark like card to present to workers to bypass the x-ray step.

Guy

1 Like

I’ve wondered about this. I’ve heard of them using dogs but never seen them when landing in Taoyuan.

Oh I’ve seen the dogs, regularly in Terminal 2, especially focused on arriving luggage from Indonesia, where it seems packing fruit is time-honoured tradition (and also forbidden in case this is unclear).

Guy

1 Like

There’s lots of dogs in Taoyuan as well and in Taichung. But Kaohsiung is the craziest I guess cos they aren’t that busy and they get all jazzed up waiting…they think flights from Vietnam or Philippines are like your Columbian drug run it seems …

2 Likes

They also train the dogs in Kaohsiung, I was invited to do spot training with one of the young dogs once, it was quite fun and got a free mechanical pencil with a dog on top for my 10 mins of time.

2 Likes

How long is this African swine fever stuff going on? Has it always been illegal to cross borders with any meat? Or is this the new normal? They treat this African swine flu like it’s some nasty stuff to justify such harsh penalties.