Cycling Apparel

The golden rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

I spent 5000NT so you don’t have to turn away. Do me the courtesy to spend at least half of that :smiley: :rofl:

Does anyone have any experience with patching up jackets after crashes or just…patching up holes in jackets?

I’m reluctant to wear the jacket that I crashed with because I’m concerned that the wind going through it will make the hole bigger.

No difference to patching up normal clothes, but to avoid further tear I would use a patch instead of just sewing it close with thread.

No experience in shops that do it for you, and I certainly am not proficient in that stuff.

Jackets OK. Patching lycra, especially shorts: not such a good idea.

Over-sewing as a means of reinforcing seams on shorts, when the overlock begins to fray: also cool. Use a wide loose zig-zag and a polyester (not cotton) thread).

Thanks @urodacus

I’ve actually found an ah-yi over in Taoyuan that does repair work on cycling apparel. I would rather have someone with experience do it then screw around with a 3000NT+ jacket.

I haven’t had the time to get a quote, but I will report back here when I do!

Looking to purchase a summer rain cycling jacket. Does anyone have any domestic gear they would recommend, or should I get something imported?

I buy most of my cycling apparel there: https://shop.santinisms.tw/ , love the look and quality.

Otherwise there are plenty at pchome: https://24h.pchome.com.tw/store/DEAOF5 , or go to Decathlon.

1 Like

What’s your budget?

Need a gift for a cycling friend. Is there anywhere they have apparel or gadgets with “Taiwan” prints on them? Would love a t-shirt with Taipei cycling club or something like that.

Check those:

Ideally, I’d like something in the range of 3000-6000. But quality is important, and I worry I may have to bite the bullet and go higher. I’m planning on doing some touring this summer, so I need something dependable.

I had a pair of these bibs from Heroic 1 for my round the island tour. They’re better than my Rapha bibs that are twice the cost. A good bit over your budget for the entire kit, but if you buy anything, buy just the bibs.

If you’re in Taichung, my friends shop carries it. You can try them on.

Velostudio
No. 292號, Dadun 14th Street, Nantun District, Taichung City, 40862
04 2323 0699
https://maps.app.goo.gl/HQrrkH6226hnvSLr7

1 Like

I recenty replaced my bike seat to Bontrager Aeolus Comp as previous one giving me a bit of pain, not 100% sure I’ve got right one for me.

However I desperatly need some new shorts, mine are old I lost weight so loose.
I’m after recomendations on good brands and where to buy.
I looked in Decathlon seem OK and fair price.

3 Likes

Decathlon is good for the budget, but I recommend buying something in the 2500-3500NT range. It’ll last longer and much better quality. Brands like Lameda, VM design, Atlas, Wast, Frontier and Heroic1 are brands to look at in that price range.

You could also look into bib shorts. A bit weird at first, but it’ll be a bit more comfortable in the long run.

1 Like

I really like Atlas. It’s a local brand. For their shorts (and not their bibs), well under 2,000 is very easy to find, especially when bought on sale. I bought some cheaper ones before and I agree they don’t last as long (the material gets thin very quickly). And the chafing. Man, my rear really hurts after Saturday’s ride. Those shorts are now for only very short rides.

http://www.atlas-sport.com.tw/product.php?id=1&id2=2&lang=tw

Shorts recommendation: wear bibs.

Castelli, Ale, Pearl Izumi.

Yes I’m bib fan, I bought a pair of insulated full leg bib with me from UK, tooo hot to use even winter here.
So I shortened them to shorts, still to hot to use, now working on fixing padding to a standard pair of combat shorts.
Seriously looking at Atlas at moment.

there are some adverts for cheap cycling ‘underpants’ from light in a box kicking around online. maybe spurge a few NTD on a set of those under some light shorts? they seem aimed at MTB riders, not roadies.

essentially a chammy stitched on outside of lycra undershorts. no idea why you could not just wear regular cycling shorts. but there must be a market.

Yeah, I have seen those!

A bit more of a higher end brand, but for 129USD, why not just buy the bibs?

because they go under MTB shorts… not roadie bibs. Which you can only wear off-road if you are hard tail XC racing… according to the Rules.

:slight_smile: