Cycling etiquette question

There is nothing more fun to me than exploring new spots on my bike. I’d like to try the north coast (closest to the ocean, not the mountains) without ever touching the main #2 road that goes around. I hate doing the same path everyday.

I wanted to know the etiquette or exploring in Taiwan. I come from Texas, where going on someone else property is big no-no (high risk of being shot). What is it like here? If I were to find myself cycling through a farm or close by a house just to pass through, is this frowned upon? What have your experiences been like?

1 Like

same everywhere

If it’s gated, obviously shouldn’t enter. Nobody’s gonna shoot you like they might in Texas though. The problem is the dogs. I once came face to face with two bull mastiffs and haven’t gone off the beaten path since.

8 Likes

Your a foreigner smile and say sorry if they are mad… tw is so nice such a small chance you will get in trouble .
They may think your lost…

Some places give off a dark vibe. Sealed off sheds with heavy locks. Could be doing something nefarious. You’ll know it when you see it. Avoid. Those are usually the one’s with the scary dogs. Most back roads are OK but they will often have groups of less threatening dogs as well.

95% of tw dogs are all bark
but the 5% are found in the rural lands

I’m having trouble picturing what you actually want to do in the north coast areas. It’s like … there’s road. Or there isn’t. “Cycling through a farm” makes me imagine a bike perched precariously on the edge of a rice paddy, which certainly sounds like a bad idea for rider, bike, paddy, and farmer.

I certainly wouldn’t go through someone’s gate. Will that put you in physical danger here, no, but “Hey, nobody will shoot me!” isn’t the same as “Totally acceptable!” Once in a while it can be a little unclear if something is a driveway or road, and sure, there I guess it’d make sense to try it out.

For big stretches of that area, the main road IS the coast; there’s no way to get closer to the ocean unless you’re slogging your way over or around the tetrapods in the splash zone. There is a moderately lengthy cycling path from Sanzhi to Jinshan, and that’s one of the few “coastal” (as opposed to mountain) areas.

Note that dogs are definitely going to be an issue on smaller roads and alleys. I’ve never been bitten, but it’s not that unusual for me to look at several baying dogs in front me, decide “OK, they win”, and turn around and try a different route.

5 Likes

There are some paths that unoffically connect through a field or two and it looks possible though satellite view.

My advice would be to just send it and report back if your survive. :slight_smile:

My etiquette recommendation is to be careful who you say 加油 to when passing them on a mountain. I once had a girl kick my butt on a mountain after doing this to her. Saying 早 or something similar seems to be more appropriate.

9 Likes

Hello to a fellow Texan!

I’ve ridden through backroads that went across farms without a problem (google maps likes to take me to the tiniest roads). If you’re just passing through I don’t think people would care.

I would definitely have to agree with the other that dogs are the biggest problem. Some come out of nowhere while you’re on a nice ride and can scare the hell outta you. I’ve been told that some cyclist attach a long stick on the front of the frame or carry a rock or two in the bib just to scare the dogs that want to bite away.

Happy exploring and don’t get bit by a dog.

I’d say stay on the route and stop your adventure when sun goes down so you don’t get bitten by the dogs. Unless your VERY sure it’s safe.

Speaking of dog bites, does anybody know where they offer the pre-exposure rabies vaccination series here in Taiwan and roughly how much it costs?

I hear ya. Jiayou, while it’s complimentary, has the connotation that I’m better than you, I’ve been there, and that’s why I’m entitled to cheer you on. Most people will say jiayou back when you say it to them, but you never know. I’ve also gotten silence and even dirty looks after I said it to other riders.

2 Likes

I regularly get the jia you from runners coming down the road while I’m ascending. I normally give it to those sidelined by the steep gradients as it’s very clear that they are having a tough time.

I normally don’t give it to those that I pass while ascending, that’s a very passive aggressive way of saying that I am better than you. Unless it’s a mate and you deliberately want to sabotage them.

6 Likes

Ha, ha. That’s funny.

In local parlance, the term is 刷卡, or swiping a credit card. The imagery is you pass someone like you swipe a credit card through one of those old fashioned card swipe machines, yeah not very friendly.

2 Likes

Already went on the ride. I am well aware of the dog situation here in Taiwan, been cycling here for over 5 years now. Thank you for the tips and concerns. I was able to find some paths that do link up to each other, but its a shame that it isn’t one long path yet. I really hope that will make some sort of coastal bike path one day. I know that the coastal highway is also a path, I’ve cycled around Yangmingshan many times, but that is just too noisy and stressful for the type of cycling I want to do now. If anyone wants information on the two paths I was able to find, I can link them below. They are very peaceful and have stunning views, most of all, its nice and quiet.

1 Like

Another cycling etiquette question.

I rode the #2 to Baishawan beach and back today. Along the way I encountered some cyclists who were slower than me. How do you guys approach overtaking on your rides?

Question 2, when you encounter a fast rider is it okay to sit behind them in their slip stream? Or is that frowned upon?

Question 3, do you ever challenge yourself vs other riders (in a safe manner) and try catch them when they are pushing it in front of you and if you do catch them do you overtake them?

I absolutely smashed a Pinarello today (it looked old like 10-15 years) but on the uphill he came past me like I was a child lol.
After that I caught up to him again as he was taking it easy. Maybe he used up all his reserves.

I must say the #2 is a fun ride.

1 Like

“General” etiqutte, I’m not sure, but my reactions:

I overtake, although if it’s a big crowd the overtaking can be tricky! Sometimes I’ll say 早 or whatever, depending on how many cyclists I’ve seen that day. I don’t warn them I’m about to do so, unless there are two or three abreast, and then I’ll say 不好意思 or perhaps ring my bell if it’s a noisier environment.

I’ve had strangers stay in my slip stream once or twice (to my surprise! I’m not fast!), and it made me uncomfortable. “Gee, thanks guy, I can’t suddenly brake if there’s something I want to look at”. The sudden braking isn’t something I often do - and never without quickly checking behind me - but if cycling bumper stickers saying “I stop to gawk at kingfishers” existed, I’d use one.

Challenge myself to keep up, yes, but always at a distance behind them: to compete with “myself” and not them, if that makes sense. Now that I think about it, some of my best segment times have probably come from this. I won’t make an effort to pass them, unless they slow down a lot.