Cycling Taiwan

Anyone interested in touring Taiwan by bike in 2006? I’m thinking about either in february (to avoid the heat) or july-september (plenty of time, no rush, but do sweat quite a lot) or maybe both of them thinking that I might not have the money to go abroad next summer. Will camp as much as possible and probably cook as well.

Am still working on the route, round the island or the east plus the mountains. I’ve done several countries but not my own backyard so think would like to do so. Oh by the way, I live in Shalu, Taichung if your in the neighbourhood would be good to meet up.

[quote=“Schwamie”]Anyone interested in touring Taiwan by bike in 2006? I’m thinking about either in february (to avoid the heat) or July-september (plenty of time, no rush, but do sweat quite a lot) or maybe both of them thinking that I might not have the money to go abroad next summer. Will camp as much as possible and probably cook as well.

Am still working on the route, round the island or the east plus the mountains. I’ve done several countries but not my own backyard so think would like to do so. Oh by the way, I live in Shalu, Taichung if your in the neighbourhood would be good to meet up.[/quote]

Bike camping, ugh! (just kidding).

Don’t go around the island! East + mountains much better. Why not make a grand tour of the cross island highways? You could end up with a grand hairy-legged version of the boring, ugly, and hot round-the-island trip.

Put your bike on the train to Chiayi.
Ride Chiayi->Sanmin->Jiaxian->Baolai-southern cross->Chihshang->Donghe (via Donghe to Fuli Rd.). Now you are on the East Coast.

Route 11->Hualien->Hualien->Taroko->Lishan->Wuling Farm->Yilan

Yilan->North Cross->Baling->Shimen->Hengshan->Wuzhi->Miaoli.

Then put your bike back on the train. Now that would be an around the island trip!

Hi Schwamie,

Welcome to Forumosa.com!

There’s a chance that I could be interested in riding part/s of it with you. It would depend heavily on schedules, routes, and weather.

I agree with the general advice to cycle the east coast and cross island highways versus the west coast. The only reason I’d do the west coast is if I simply wanted to claim that I’d really been totally around the island. The west coast is highly industrialized, noisy, dirty, very busy, and boring.

Weather: Rainy in the north in winter, but still pleasant in the south often. I was in Kending riding in January and it was actually sunny and hot. I’d recommend avoiding riding long distances with heavy loads in the bottom half of Taiwan in the summer time.

Take a look at my write-up of my trip around part of Taiwan on bike. I camped and cooked from my bike for a week. It might give you some good ideas on places to go and planning info:

[Bicycle trip in Southern Taiwan

Seeker4

Jusr re-read your post about your trip last spring S4. To those of you who haven’t seen it, it is an epic well worth the time to read.

I would interested in doing the trip this spring.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions people.

Seeker4, I just finished reading your tour report, well written, very interesting and packed with informations. I wrote a fact sheet on my trip to Iceland (geocities.com/reveriecollides/), think maybe you would be interested to take a look.

Yeah, I know what you mean with the west coast, the only reason why I wanted to do it is that so I can claim that I’ve done the circumnavigation, but maybe it’s not necessary after all. As a matter of fact, I bought a respro mask just for that reason, thinking that I might get suffocated on a loaded bike in the middle of the traffic. Think I would go for the east.

As for schedule, I’m a grad student so I only have time to get away during winter and summer vacations. I’m ok with both, which one would suit you better?

Don’t like the humidity, but it doesn’t really put me off, nor the cold. The rain does, never fancied riding in heavy rain, too dangerous for me.

By the way, I was quite surprised to see that you have a Rhino tent as well, I love mine, cheap and gets the job done, well I guess probably it’s common in Taiwan, just that I’ve never seem another person using it on my tours. And the links to the pics are not working.

Discovered that the photo links were broken in my trip report post. Fixed them. Too soon for me to plan anything, except to say that I’ll likely be busy over winter break. If you go then, good luck. Sure you’ll have a blast.

Well ok, thanks for the suggestions anyway.