D&D in/near Taichung

Howdy. I posted in the Taipei thread about tabletop RPG’s, but I thought that a separate thread would be warranted as well. I’m interested in finding a game to join in the Taichung area. I’m near the art museum, so closer is better, but I’d be happy to make a commute as well. I’m highly interested in a 3.0+ D&D game as well as d10 Legend of the Five Rings and Shadowrun. I’d highly prefer a more mature gaming group. Please reply or PM if you have any leads, tips or are interested in recruiting some players. Thanks.

Well, I think I’ll take the initiative on this.

I’m looking for a head count of people who would be interested in playing D&D 3.5 in Taichung. PM or reply if you can show up CONSISTENTLY Sundays from 3:00 to 9-ish. Previous D&D or tabletop RPG experience, as well as core rulebooks, are a plus. A mature attitude is a MUST.

[quote=“pissedpookie”]Well, I think I’ll take the initiative on this.

I’m looking for a head count of people who would be interested in playing D&D 3.5 in Taichung. PM or reply if you can show up CONSISTENTLY Sundays from 3:00 to 9-ish. Previous D&D or tabletop RPG experience, as well as core rulebooks, are a plus. A mature attitude is a MUST.[/quote]

Sir,

Mature. Does that mean drinking beer, eating chips and making fun of the GM all evening is not possible?

I guess what stops one from doing roleplaying games in Taiwan is that the rule books, etc are so hard to get. Do Taiwanese actually do AD&D or alike? Are there any RPG stores? I don’t think so :frowning: I think you’ll have a hard time making a group. Could you be more precise on ‘mature’?

Mature in the sense that you won’t argue every last point with the GM, stalling gameplay for at least half an hour each session and then continue to mope through the sessions letting party members get killed because of sour grapes.

Mature in the sense that you won’t do stupid stuff like rub your ass over an evil altar and then act surprised when there’s ramifications for such actions WHICH EFFECT THE ENTIRE PARTY.

Mature in the sense that you aren’t simply trying to take everything the party finds simply because you have a Sleight of Hand of 10 at first level.

Mature in the sense that you won’t gripe for two months because the GM didn’t let you play an +4 level adjustment race in a campaign that starts at first level.

Mature in the sense in which you won’t play another person’s character which they had spent months in building and advancing to 5th level only to pointlessly suicide the character off because you can.

Mature in the sense where you won’t wear two suits of armor and then bitch and moan when the GM stacks their armor check penalties after you dive into a swamp to retrieve a rotten head on a pike you think is boss to wear around but is attracting things which attack your party.

Mature in the sense that you don’t roll a “natural 20” every roll no one is looking.

Mature, most importantly, in the sense that you are there to have fun, but not at the expense of the other players.

Christ. I could go on forever about all the selfish, lame, party-ending plays I’ve seen which the player explains as “playing the character”. Beyond these definitions of “mature”, I think I just want a group of people past their teenage years to play with. More in common, stuff to talk about at the table beyond the game. ~shrug~

Woo. Just got a full 3.5 core book set. :smiley: Also, nearly thirty issues of Dragon and about 5 issues of Dungeon are on their way from home. :slight_smile:

As far as what you said, engerim, you are completely right. I looked for the D&D miniatures and was told that the only place on the island that sells it is the Sogo in Taipei. Furthermore, I checked all the major bookstores in Taichung for D&D swag and none of them carried anything. Only the Caves near Mei Tseun Rd. carried anything D&D. They had one issue of Dragon for 320 NT. Yikes. Needless to say, I forked over the money, but I wasn’t very happy about it, considering I routinely picked up last month’s Dragon for a buck at my friendly neighborhood game store.

In any case, still looking for a game. Had a few e-mails from a guy, but then he disappeared. Furthermore, TEALIT SUCKS A BIG FAT C0CK. I started a D&D thread there, stating my desire to find a group and instead of being heavily edited by the mods like 95 percent of the posts there, they just straight up deleted it. I guess gaming isn’t an acceptable pasttime in Taiwan. Who the fuck runs that place anyway?

[quote=“pissedpookie”]
Christ. I could go on forever about all the selfish, lame, party-ending plays I’ve seen which the player explains as “playing the character”. [/quote]

Yeah, I think playing with bards suck too. “I don’t want to hear your new song. Just shut the f**k up and swing the goddamn sword.” :laughing:

Hey. I had an absolutely brilliant/worthless gully dwarf bard. Only non-evil character in the party. Even though gully dwarfs are absolutely worthless, he survived thanks to his racial bonus to pleading for his life and his cooking ability. Kobold stew never tasted so good!

He even had a +1 longsword which had a glamour cast on it so it seemed like it was nothing more than a child’s stick weapon.

Found a game in Taichung. If anyone is interested in getting in, feel free to PM me.

New D&D game! Also, is anyone here interested in playing the Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures game? I’ve heard the Sogo in Taipei actually sells DDM!