Damp marks on clothing

Thanks for that. Every bit of info helps!

The one issue I have left is with the living room and study, both of which have a lot of books in them. While at home, I run the air con. Good enough. At night, though, I turn it off and use the smaller air con in my room.

What I’m thinking of doing is getting a third machine and running it in the living room (with the adjacent door to the study open) while I’m not home and at night. But I also want to leave some windows open, to keep the air fresh.

I’ve heard you should close all windows while running the machines, to reduce the amt of work they have to. But that would make the air really stuffy. Do you open windows and run the machine while you’re out?

[quote=“Jefferson”]Thanks for that. Every bit of info helps!

The one issue I have left is with the living room and study, both of which have a lot of books in them. While at home, I run the air con. Good enough. At night, though, I turn it off and use the smaller air con in my room.

What I’m thinking of doing is getting a third machine and running it in the living room (with the adjacent door to the study open) while I’m not home and at night. But I also want to leave some windows open, to keep the air fresh.

I’ve heard you should close all windows while running the machines, to reduce the amt of work they have to. But that would make the air really stuffy. Do you open windows and run the machine while you’re out?[/quote]

I always close the windows when I run the machines. And I have never felt it makes the air stuffy. In fact, it makes the air dry and comfortable (unless it is a small room and he machine heats it up). Most dehumids also have air filters built into them to take out larger particles in the air.

I did find though that for the first week my new dehumid let off a slightly oily smell. This went away after a week and has never returned. Probably the machine was just burning off a bit of lubricant left over from when it was first made.

Do let your rooms air out though regularly. Yes, this means letting them get wet again but this isn’t a problem if they are dried again soon. If you are concerned with stuffy air on days you have to keep the windows closed buy a hepa air filter. I know it soudns like a hassle but you get used to such measures soon enough.

The other thing to consider is that you probably don’t need to keep the room bone dry at all times. If you run the air con or dehumid for a few hours and then close the doors the room will remain dry enough for some time afterwards. Even if it gets a bit wet no harm will come to your books as long as they are dried out eventually.

When you go out, set your living room aircon on dehumidfying for 3 hours. If you want to ensure your study is kept extra dry, put the dehumid in it and close the door. When the tank is full it will stop but the room will remain dry with the doors closed.

You need to be vigilante in Taiwan but not fanatical. Let your fingers and nose be the judge of how well you are keeping your environment dry.

I hope this helps:

www.comforthouse.com/comfort/moisture.html