Dandruff problems: what works?

When Head n Shoulders became available, I found it very helpful but as time went by, it lost its effectiveness. I started using something else containing ketoconazole and found it very effective. What’s even better is that you don’t have to use it daily. I use it twice weekly and sometimes I forget to use but there has been no recurrence of the problem. What works for you?

The Body Shop sells a very expensive small bottle of shampoo for irritated scalp. My head gets itchy from sweating in the motorcycle helmet and I find it works well.

Apple cider vinegar, or diluted hydrogen peroxide.

I have a few bottles of Selsun… which is generally the medical standard in Aus. You could buy one off me

apple cider vinegar works best! it’s cheap and there are no chemicals…i used for a while when i had some flakes, and it helps a lot :wink:

[quote]apple cider vinegar works best! it’s cheap and there are no chemicals…I used for a while when I had some flakes, and it helps a lot Wink
[/quote]

I’ve got o look into this apple cder remedy. Two people cannot be wrong!

Definitely try all the above first. If all of them really fail you can try a Ciclopirox Olamine solution, is marketed for example as Stieprox, but a 150ml bottle is $500. Works extremely well.

Flax seed oil in my diet, as well as olive and grape seed oil consumed in salad dressings and such.

A general healthy diet.

Frequent good workouts where I sweat a lot helps too.

Huha Man I have a question for you re grape seed oil. Could one take that instead of grape seed extract or has the active ingredient already been extacted from the product on the shelf?

Which one is better for dandruff, ACV or Unfiltered ACV? The latter is costlier. (@Stray_Dog)

‘Dandruff’ could be a fungus that can only get rid of with a medicated shampoo.

anyone?

I had tried a dermatologist, he gave a Japanese cream to apply on head. It was only temporarily effective. So I want to try ACV method.

Nizoral 2% anti-fungus shampoo. Contains ketoconazole, so any shampoo containing this could help you get rid of fungal dandruff.

It’s like HK feet, but then on your head.

" How does this medication work? What will it do for me?

Ketoconazole belongs to the family of medications called antifungals. It is used to treat fungal infections of the skin (ringworm, athlete’s foot, and jock itch) and nails. It is also used to treat “sun fungus” ( tinea versicolor, pityriasis versicolor ).

The shampoo is used to treat and prevent conditions such as dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis . Ketoconazole works by preventing the fungus from making normal cell walls, thereby stopping fungal growth."

1 Like

It might be caused by dermatitis. Go to a dermatologist