Dangerous local Fauna

So I was just out on the Promenade Deck, enjoying a high quality domestically produced tobacco product, as one does, and one of those fucking humongous brown Nippoese wasps was hanging around, as they do, there being a shit ton of plants and flowers growing there. Anyways, it was just sort of minding its own business, I didn’t really pay it no mind, they don’t tend to be much for invading one’s personal space.
So I go back inside, and realize there’s a funny sort of tickly feeling on the back of my neck. So reach back there, and the little bastard has hitched a ride inside. Naturally, I grab it and the fucker goes and stings me on my index finger.
Needless to say I instinctively exercised my genetic superiority and put its earthly struggles to a quick end forthwith.

Sting hurt like a motherfucker, though, and started swelling up immediately.
Fortunately, some Polysporin took care of it lickety split.

Never happened to me here before, ever.

(Mod: nazi symbol removed. don’t do that, please)

Wasps are shite. “Oh they are part of the ecosystem” yeah screw the ecosystem then. Like ticks and all that sort of nonsense.
In my area we don’t have many wasps, but rove beetles can be a problem. Our neighbor’s kid had to rush to the hospital due to a burn next to an eye.

Friggin wasps have no respect, attack without a reason. They bit my poor Toto once.

Bugs here, from micro gnats to beetles to wasps and most stuff that flies are a summer pest that can really leave you in a lotta pain.

BASTARDS!
Glad I killed it.

cobras !!! for petes sake

2 Likes

Sometimes I go on youtube and watch videos of people destroying wasps nests for fun, just because I hate them so much. I like seeing them and their homes and their filthy squirming maggots burnt to a crisp or shot up by some redneck with an airsoft gun.

1 Like

I did dig them out, sold the larva too bait shops. It had some risk to it tho.

What are you supposed to do if you’re hiking alone and get bitten

Um, yes. But you lived to tell the tale.

Actually, the wasps do a good job of keeping other critters down. So long as it’s in balance…

From the article above.

Locals have started to encounter the snakes in toilets

:runaway:

That’s the stuff of nightmares and horror movies!

1 Like

Those large wasp/hornets have incredibly yummy babies. Pull them out, few seconds from a blow torch on a rock and they are amazing. Pull the stinger out for good measure.

Though there are lots of snakes here, cobras and banded raits seems pretty flighty and avoid you. Vipers are more problematic as you dont see them and they dont always move…though often not super aggressive.

Though i find the most problematic living organisms are small. Parasites (especially worms), freshwater, snails, rats etc all host them frequently. Rove beetles can hurt. I still have a 3inch scar next to my eye from one last year.

Seems to me food and water are easy routes of infection of some really not fun things. Ticks, mosquitoes etc also carry problems. Snakes are generally a far lesser issue than any of those. Just easier to see and identify, thus report upon.

1 Like

Them cobras are native species here and very plentiful. Easily seen slithering around mountain areas and -gulp- riverside parks in Taipei.

Taiwans cobras are generally nervous and skittish. So fairly safe as they nearly always take to running away. Saw one today in our driveway but too fast to catch and relocate.

I wonder though abiut rat diseases and more specifically about things like fleas and ticks. Especially for pets, but us as well.

Yep. Poor snakes…
https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/EC2WzB_WsAAYAPg.mp4

I can’t believe no one has made a crack about Taiwanese girlfriends/wives yet in this thread.

1 Like

Probably because they don’t want to get a shit kicking from their Taiwanese girlfriend/wife.

2 Likes

The dinosaurs are back.

Common in Australia . :grin:

One can only imagine the chaos.

must make soup! catch it!