Danshui

Yup, the countryside around Jiayi is really nice. Otherwise, I guess Taoyuan is not a lot different.

Life’s what you make it though, innit. How “boring” a place is depends a lot on the company - your circle of friends, acquaintances, colleagues, and whoever shares your bed. Manila thwarts every attempt anyone might make to rise above the chaos; it’s a major discovery if you find a restaurant that doesn’t serve third-rate food, and you can get to/from that restaurant inside of two hours without choking to death on fumes. Taoyuan does at least have places where you can have a nice meal or a good coffee, and it’s quick and easy to get out of if you get really bored.

[quote=“finley”]Yup, the countryside around Jiayi is really nice. Otherwise, I guess Taoyuan is not a lot different.

Life’s what you make it though, innit. How “boring” a place is depends a lot on the company - your circle of friends, acquaintances, colleagues, and whoever shares your bed. Manila thwarts every attempt anyone might make to rise above the chaos; it’s a major discovery if you find a restaurant that doesn’t serve third-rate food, and you can get to/from that restaurant inside of two hours without choking to death on fumes. Taoyuan does at least have places where you can have a nice meal or a good coffee, and it’s quick and easy to get out of if you get really bored.[/quote]

I accepted the job so I will be moving to Taoyuan the weekend after Christmas, the company is giving me free accommodations so right now I am thinking that will help me save some money and motivate me to move (if I feel inclined ) the location is walking distance to Far East Dept Store and Taoyuan Station so I think escaping the city on my days off is a possibility. I have some friends in Taichung and HSR is fairly quick down there if I want to go to Xito (spelling) Nantou, or Puli. I also can’t remember the place I went that was about an hour north of Taichung where we made homemade green tea ice cream and they had an old abandoned train tunnel that you can walk through. It wasn’t far from the town they make all the bird carvings. I just remember a few Haka places to eat.

I probably won’t be moving to Danshui but if doable I may try and save up to move to Banqiao, I think I would really like that area.

And yeah Manila has it charms for sure, just today I was walking down the street and had to prevent myself from throwing up as I inhaled the smell of 2 day old garbage that had been torn open by rats and the open sewer project they were working on. There is actually this Middle Eastern/African place that has really good food in Burgos and it’s walking distance, of course Burgos is also the red light district but that isn’t my thing. We also have a South American place that has some really good Puerco Asado and papusas.

Ahh, if you’re near the department stores it shouldn’t be too bad. The train station is right there, so Taipei is just 40 minutes away really. Do consider purchasing a cheap bicycle or even a scooter, though, otherwise you’re going to find yourself unhappy when it comes time to get food or find a supermarket.

Yeah I’ve got a hookup for a scooter that I hope comes through for me but they are in Taichung. I can’t imagine that would be a fun ride especially for one who has always just been a passenger on one.

Pro-tip: If you’re on a late night in Taipei after the buses and trains have stopped, there are usually people at Taipei Main Station who grab taxis out to Taoyuan in groups and split the cost.

If you really want to live somewhere else while working in Taoyuan, you can also consider Sanxia by the National Taipei University; it’s a nice area planned from scratch with all new buildings, and I think there are a lot of empty apartments, so the rent should be low. It’d be perfect for commuting by car. There is a train station nearby (Yingge) but perhaps it’s not very convenient to get to.

Congratulations on getting hired!

Well done :slight_smile: Sounds like you’re in a good location, too.

Banqiao is very “convenient”, in the Taiwanese sense, but the traffic noise and fumes are awful if you’re not well away from the main roads. It nearly drove me crazy; that’s why I moved to Danshui.

That’s a long drive on a scooter from Taichung. Budget a whole day for it and take it easy (plenty of breaks).

Yeah I was wondering about that, I will be in Taiwan for NYE and I can’t imagine I’ll wanna spend it in Taoyuan. Does the MRT run late that night or normal shut off at midnight? I know I’ve seen fireworks near Taipei 101 on the TV but what would be a good vantage to watch them and photograph?

I’m just bummed I left my Elephant Brothers shirt at home in Vegas complete with my name 巧克力 on the back. I’m guessing the kids in my classes will get a real kick out of Mr 巧克力

I also think I’ll probably be spending most of my weekends in Taipei so should I invest in a Metro Card ? When my lady comes from Manila there are plenty of things to show her but I already told her my story of what happened to me when I tried to take a picture of the Jade Cabbage and why it’s not a good idea.

If you really want to live somewhere else while working in Taoyuan, you can also consider Sanxia by the National Taipei University; it’s a nice area planned from scratch with all new buildings, and I think there are a lot of empty apartments, so the rent should be low. It’d be perfect for commuting by car. There is a train station nearby (Yingge) but perhaps it’s not very convenient to get to.

Congratulations on getting hired![/quote]

Thank you,

Just googled Sanxia and the old street looks very cool. My thought process is this is a one year commitment and all I’m really trying to do is to experience something new and interesting and pay down my student loans. At my current rate my 7 year old will already be out of college before I’m down paying mine off. If I come home with no money in my pocket but manage to at least make a dent in those loans I win. I won’t have a car though, just a scooter although depending on if I like Taoyuan or not I may not even get one being so close to the train.

Personally I would live close to work and travel 30-60 minutes for entertainment. I find the grind of a long daily commute to be a PITA. Commuting from Danshui to Taoyuan would be hell imo even if it’s only 38 minutes.

There’s a lot of great stuff in Taoyuan, Hsinchu and miaoli counties (and parts of Xinbei) that should make great day trips. Add in taking the HSR to Taichung and visiting your friends and you could be busy for entire year. If you like the outdoors then get Richard Saunders Taipei Escapes 2 (NW Taiwan). I also have a few spots marked in my waterfall guide but I don’t get to that area too much so not much of the good stuff is in there yet.

you can get the scooter delivered to the Taoyuan train station, no need to ride the scooter from Taichung!

[quote=“Abacus”]Personally I would live close to work and travel 30-60 minutes for entertainment. I find the grind of a long daily commute to be a PITA. Commuting from Danshui to Taoyuan would be hell imo even if it’s only 38 minutes.

There’s a lot of great stuff in Taoyuan, Hsinchu and Miaoli counties (and parts of Xinbei) that should make great day trips. Add in taking the HSR to Taichung and visiting your friends and you could be busy for entire year. If you like the outdoors then get Richard Saunders Taipei Escapes 2 (NW Taiwan). I also have a few spots marked in my waterfall guide but I don’t get to that area too much so not much of the good stuff is in there yet.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m gonna try living in Taoyuan and see how I like it, I think being close to the train station where I will be living when I get there should give me options if I want to get out. Most of my days will be spent at work anyway so it’s not like I’ll be sitting around for days with no agenda.

I’d really like to check out the area north of Taipei, Keelung is really the only part of the island I’ve never seen. I know the train goes up there so that will likely be one weekend.

Keelung is not without its charm, but you have to work really really really exceptionally hard to find it. However, I find the areas of New Taipei around Keelung – Ruifang, Pingxi, Wanli, Jinshan – to be some of the most amazing in Taiwan.

Last time I was on the island we traveled to some hot springs near Taitung and then spent the night near Xitiping and did the lame reverse flowing river and the bat cave but I really like the Cave of 8 Immortals and the bridge that looks like a dragon’s back. That area was amazing and the little island made me feel like I was Goonie.

If you visit Keelung it is best in summer. Because it basically rains all winter long ! There is a little park you can walk to that you can see the whole harbor.

There is a tiny road that goes around the harbor that is right on the ocean heading towards Wanli and there is a spot or two that you can swim at.

Very easy to reach by train from Taoyuan. It is best to take in Keelung as a stopover on your way to the beautiful coastal road that goes from Keelung to Fulung and points south.

IF you are not driving your own car. A suggestion would be to take the train up to Keelung early in the day (in summer preferably) and have lunch in Keelung. Take a quick cab ride up to the lookout point where you can see the whole harbor. There is a statue of KuanYin close by there IIRC correctly so should be easy to find.

After lunch take the bus next to the train station to Fulung. That goes the scenic route along the coast. Have a swim at Fulung. Bus or train back to Keelung. Go to the Keelung night market (if you like that sort of stuff). And then proceed via train or bus back to Taipei (Train probably better if you are heading back to Taoyuan).