Darlie toothpaste to rebrand

Seems owner is American company (colgate). Seems odd they did not change it before.

You’re confusing it with Mrs. Butterworth’s, two different deals.

Mrs Butterworth only ever talked like an old lady.

They did try to soften Aunt Jemima’s plantation-based appearance over the years

The last upgrade was 89, when they removed her head covering and lightened her skin tone.

1 Like

The backlash you see now is exactly why they didn’t do it before. Renamed in English, kept the traditional name everyone is used to in Chinese. People will boycott the change and of course they’ll lose money. Just need to wait for SJWs to find a new issue to be enraged about and forget about Colgate. The twitterverse has a short attention span.

1 Like

Is there some stereotype of black people and maple syrup? I think of a Canadian when I see syrup.

It was originally a pancake flour brand, though you could ask the same question there I guess.

I can’t think of any connection between pancakes and black people.

I believe that you’re thinking of Mrs. Butterworth.

They are considering changing due to the Aunt Jemina uproar.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/consumer-products/conagra-reviews-mrs-butterworth-brand-following-racial-backlash

Not specifically, but there was a stereotype of house slaves making comfort food.
I thought you lived in the States?

Granted, that last one leans heavier on the black railroad cook stereotype, but same idea.

3 Likes

I didn’t really consider pancakes comfort food. To me it’s breakfast, although I don’t really enjoy it all that much besides on occasion.

I have really really vague memories as a little kid of my one Grandma having a Mammy cookie jar

And she never set foot in the US her entire life.
She was, however, flat out racist as all fuck.

Damn they even got “mammy” printed on her body. Cringe…

Pretty hard to imagine how accepted that shit was.
I deffo recall reading (at that same Grandma’s house) a Little Black Sambo story book
And I even recollect my big sister dressing as a Pickaninny for Halloween

And we practically had a picture of MLK on the wall of my house when I was growing up.
Go figure :idunno:

Oh, and GWTW was me sainted Ma’s (may she rest in peace) favourite all time movie.

We’re you aware that Sambo’s was a restaurant chain? Ate there as a kid. They had the abbreviated “Little Black Sambo” story printed on the place mats.

The Santa Barbara restaurant continued business under the Sambo’s name until 2020. The George Floyd protests against racism in the United States resulted in the owner of the restaurant changing the name of the establishment.

https://www.sambosrestaurant.com/

Peace & Love? WTF?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I ate there more than once, and I remember the placemats.
My impression was that they all turned into Denny’s, but that appears to be only partly true.

I did see the article about the name change this week.

Unca Billy Possum
Bobby Coon
Ol’ Mistah Buzzard

We read loads of those Thornton Burgess stories when I was a kid. As you can see, they imbued a lot of the forest creatures with broad attributes of turn-of-the-century black stereotypes.
And there were a fucking bazillion of them

1 Like

Is the White Man handwash reverse racism?
“Even if you’re as dirty as a white man, our product will clean you up.”
Could be a good ad for a deodorant brand.
It’s like those breath mint commercials you see in Asia, always featuring a white person as the one with bad breath.
And let’s not get started on “Hong Kong foot”.

That’s it! There were TWO plantation slave themed syrups?!?

Controversy

In 2020, following protests over systemic racism, Conagra Brands announced that it would review the shape of their bottles, as African-American people viewed them as an example of the “mammy” stereotype.[5] Some reports have indicated that the character was originally modeled on Thelma “Butterfly” McQueen, who appeared as the maid in Gone with the Wind (1939).[6][7]

Butterfly_McQueen

1 Like

Dixie is the new four letter word. Did the south want to secede only because of slavery?

Was everything about the South bad? Or just slavery?

South = bad
North = good

the whole way of life in the south was bad for all then? Everyone was either a white plantation owner or a black slave (or a chinese rail road worker) ?

1 Like

So they’ve had those bottles up until now? How did it take them this long?

I heard that and started singing Dixie to myself, but I got to the part after buckwheat cake and stopped. I just looked and Wikipedia says it came from minstrel shows. Written by a Yankee. That’s history for you.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/06/25/cgb-victim-of-apartment-shooting-identified-as-dixie-state-university-student-football-player/

I had to share this unrelated post, first thing that came up when I googled “dixie”. A black student at Dixie State University was shot (not police) and treated at Dixie Regional Medical Center. In Utah. He was from Corona, CA.

1 Like