Dashcam footage

oh, no :dizzy_face:

Found it on Reddit. I post those for educational purposes, so we can avoid such a nightmare.

Mind the old people on the roads they are irrational.

2 Likes

Agree. But please remember to add a warning on the more graphic videos.

2 Likes

Lot of people drive with the “best case scenario” in mind, like everyone acts correctly all the time, which leaves no room for error.

Need to always account for those who act incorrectly, hence it’s better to lower your speed, look around, keep a distance to the vehicle in front of you etc.

3 Likes

He was on the phone, couldn’t bother.

Actually in this case, I’d put 90% of the blame on the silver sedan. They should have pulled to the right. What they did do is block the pedestrian from both view and attention, because the driver of the 2nd car has to react to some idiot in a silver sedan whipping into his lane. Crisis aver-OH, SHIT!

When I see someone here change lanes, I assume it’s to avoid death and/or inconvenience, generally in that order. Everyone else on the road be damned. And they call it a communal society.

The cammer drove 8km/h over the speed limit and did not slow down before flashing yellow intersection (as the other car).
But the guy in the electric wheelchair did not even look for the two fast approaching cars and did not have the right of way to cross 4!!! lanes of a road. There is a safe zebra crossing just like 25 meters away!

btw. dashcam is a must in Taiwan

3 Likes

From the video, you can see there was no way for the silver sedan to swerve right, as they were on the rightmost lane already, and no time to brake.
Blame is on the electric wheelchair, who tried to cross traffic without any concern for the traffic!

Second that!

1 Like

Dashcam and asscam!

3 Likes

Because most damages were with the old guy in the wheel chair, the car driver is probably on the hook for at least 50% of his medical bills. Probably will also be privately sued for pain and suffering. Years of litigation if they can not come to an agreement.

2 Likes

On top of that, Taiwan has a weird law that the large vehicle is always at fault. Or so I heard.

What I experienced from family member getting hit: if your vehicle was on the move during the accident, you will automatically be partially at fault (10%-20%). No matter if you were following all traffic rules.
Reasoning is you must be aware of all surroundings and stop before a collision occurs.

1 Like

I think it’s hard to blame anyone here, except for speeding if that was the case. The silver sedan had almost no time to react. The scooter man is probably old and senile. You could perhaps blame whoever is his guardian, but this looks like a very common accident in Taiwan, especially on highways outside the big cities. People drive faster, more old people on scooters, worse road conditions, one thing adds to another.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

In most European countries that’s covered by INSURRANCE, unless you’re drunk or high on drugs or speeding.

It is a legal requirement in Taiwan for all drivers to have third party liability insurance. The compulsory insurance provides people with basic protection for injury, dismemberment, disablement and loss of life in traffic accidents.
Any further cover is taken at an individual’s discretion.

A lot of people in Taiwan are not insured against damages to vehicles at all!

"Police said that, early yesterday morning four Ferraris were parked outside the parking lot of the Danlan Suspension Bridge in New Taipei City’s Shiding District. All four of the Ferraris were different colors, with the front vehicle painted red, followed by models in blue, white, and yellow, respectively."

Really? Do they call this reporting news? Does the color matter?

Look at who published it.
Are you really surprised?

1 Like

And the Ferrari dudes were furious: “We were going to have a blast wrecking our cars on the Beiyi Highway; then this happens!”

2 Likes

47-year-old man was convicted after he pursued two men in a vehicle southbound on the M1 Motorway at Ewingsdale, near Byron Bay, in August 2021 before threatening the other driver with an axe and ramming his car several times. The South Grafton man pled guilty to predatory driving, and being armed with intent to commit indictable offence among other offences; he was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment, with a non-parole period of 10 months.

:australia:

4 Likes