Data gathering on-site for Master thesis legality?

Hello, I’ve been looking around a bit but couldn’t find anything specific to my situation neither on Government websites or forums, so I’m trying a post, sorry if I’m just bad at searching. Also, wasn’t sure if I should put it here or at work.

So I’m writing a thesis on free trade ports in Taiwan, economic impact and how they operate etc, and I have the opportunity to travel and do some on-site research. I’d primarily observe and do structured interviews with business managers and workers. Now it’s still ways away, and the current COVID-19 situation might make it unrealistic, but barring that I’m trying to figure out the legalities of it.

Basically, what I’m wondering is if I’d need to get a specific type of visa to do this? I’m not gonna be hired by anyone in Taiwan, earn money(other than a scholarship from my research group post-thesis, after I’m long gone from Taiwan) or work with a University there. I’m an EU citizen that can stay for 90 days easily if I don’t need a research visa or research permit, which I couldn’t find anything about by googling, but I don’t want to breach any laws related to data gathering.

Hope this made sense. Any experience or input is very much appreciated!

1 Like

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-149-4486-7785a-2.html

The site says

Those who have entered Taiwan visa-free for purposes that do not require a permit—such as engaging in tourism, visiting friends or relatives, attending social events, conducting business, attending exhibitions, and engaging in fact-finding missions or international exchanges—who then intend to engage in activities that, according to the laws and regulations of relevant agencies, do require a permit must still obtain such a permit. Those who intend to enter Taiwan for purposes that require qualifications, such as religious work, must obtain a visa from an ROC overseas mission before entering Taiwan.

Though I think your activity is included in “engaging in fact-finding missions”, where you can confirm it is TECO in your area.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, fact-finding missions is pretty much as far as I’ve gotten on my own. I’ve attempted with the Teco but my local one is experiencing a bit of a storm, lots of covid-cases and lots of Taiwanese exchange students here, so the lines have been kind of busy… But I’ll keep trying, thanks!