Dealing with out of control dogs

I was out one morning last week with young Brian, when we met an old guy out walking his beast.

This is in a rural area with not many people around. Both dogs were running free. Before I knew it the other dog had mine pinned down and he was yelping in pain. The old guy was shouting at it but it took no notice. Fortunately I was close by and it ran off as soon as I got near enough to be threatening.

The same thing happened again yesterday. This fucking beast dodged around me - I was swinging the lead I was carrying and yelling at it to try and send it back to it’s owner - chased Brian and ran him down, it wasn’t just a little scrap and Brian was definitely trying to keep out of the way.

Again it ran off when I got close to them, which is fortunate as I’d grabbed an umbrella from a passer-by and was in a seriously bad mood. The old guy started giving me all that ‘bu yong pa, dui bu qi’ rubbish and I was sorely tempted to give him a smack but that wouldn’t really help the situation any.

So far there’s no serious harm done, but I’m really not happy about this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m taking a big stick with me today and will keep my dog close to me. If the thing comes close enough, whether or not it wants to have another go, I’m going to do my best to beat the fuck out of it.

This drives me absolutely nuts. I don’t know what to tell you… other than scream bloody murder at the dumb-ass owner and take a stick with you.

At the risk of inciting Mucha Man’s ire, I too would take a swing at the dog were it to come near again.

Loretta,

This is a common dog walkers problem. Can you put Brian on his lead until ‘monster dog’ has safely passed? As the former owner of a monster dog myself, ( R.I.P. SnoopDog) I am sure the owner feels shame about his animals’ behaviour. Mine used to try to eat, rape or crap on most other animals he encountered. Otherwise, when monster dog comes in to view have Brian walk to heel (Can he do that?) or sit him down and pet him until the beast has gone. Avoid the fight.

Either that or teach him Kung-Fu. It worked for Daniel-San and he had a whole Do-Jo on his case!

Tom, an early riser.

For the sake of a happy and a politically correct forumosa.com community I suggest you give monster dog a big wet sloppy lick on the ear and tell it, “Hey, I love you despite your faults”. I think that would be such a granola bar thing to do.

Even bad dogs needs good lovin’.

I don’t think ‘beating the fuck’ out of the dog does anything for the situation.

I’ve kicked dogs away from attacking mine (not kicked them), but why this sadistically vengeful attitude towards badly trained animals, Loretta?

You should have been a gladiator. :notworthy:

In the spirit of having a happy and politically correct forumosa.com I think Loretta needs to sit down with monster dog and try to draw out why monster dog has these feelings of aggressiveness. Try to understand where monster dog is coming from. I think we all need to step away from the anger. Embrace peace. If we can do that then we all earn the right to dance naked in the meadow.

I say let monster dog BE monster dog.

Peace, flowers, and love.

Maybe you could walk your dog somewhere else? Call animal control, if such a thing exists in this country, or abduct the dog and deposit in the back of a Fragrant Meat Shop (Dog Meat) :wink:

:slight_smile: Thanks guys.

Keeping MY dog under control is not the issue. This is an animal that dodged around me and chased my dog down the road. Had Brian been on a lead the other dog might have decided to keep a respectful distance, or it might have resulted in me being bitten because I was in between them.

It’s the other dog that needs to be on a lead. If Mr Stupid wants to go up to a dog that’s under control and get himself bitten then that’s his problem. But being attacked by an uncontrolled dog when he’s minding his own business is not acceptable.

The owner is a doddery old guy, and we don’t speak any of the same languages. I don’t have a lot of options there, and I’ve never found reasoning with people who don’t appear to care to be very effective anyway.

I think the dog needs to learn that it doesn’t want to come near to me, then my dog will have a safe place to stand when we pass. He gets his side of the road, and we get ours. No problem, but first he needs to learn.

I don’t really envision getting the dog cornered and thrashing the life out of it, but I can see me getting one good whack in and then chasing it down the road. Repeat this process every time we meet and it’ll start keeping a safe distance, n’est ce pas?

Can you get someone to write a note in large Chinese characters that you can give to the owner of monster dog? I know at home some owners got angry with me when Old Snoopy took a chunk out of their dog, so I think your anger is justified. Maybe something along the lines of…
“Your animal is causing a nuisance to me, and I would appreciate it if you put your dog on a lead if you ever see me walking my dog in these parts. Otherwise I will beat the living crap out of YOU for being so irresponsible.” Possibly ommiting the last sentence as a safety precaution…

Camera Loretta. Take a pic or two, and get someone to write a message telling the old guy that with the evidence you have, ONE phonecall is all it will take for the dogcatchers to come. He’ll know exactly what’s going on when he sees you with the camera, anyway.

Or pepper spray. Most dogs don’t like that much at all. A bit of vinegar in a squirt bottle can also be a pretty good deterrent.

I did the camera thing to my next door neighbour a few years ago, who had one of those great big white Japanese husky/wolf-like things that she totally couldn’t control. One day it bit my dog and penetrated right through its snout, so that blood was bubbling through the hole when she breathed.

I grabbed Kali, shoved her in the downstairs door and ran upstairs for my camera and a baseball bat. The owner was still there when I got down as she still couldn’t control the dog. I took some pics of my dog’s injury (pretty spectacular-looking by now) and of the other dog, which looked like a polar bear that had just been eating a seal – horror movie stuff – And told the woman that either she keeps the dog leashed at all times or I pursue the thing through legal channels, or I batter fuck out of her dog with the baseball bat (which I would never have done, as he was always totally friendly with humans and I actually really liked him).

She chose to leash the dog and everything was fine after that, until I brought a silent dog whistle over from blighty and would blow it from my balcony sometimes – did I say the dog was very big and the owner was very tiny? Boy, when that dog heard the whistle and took off, the woman really couldn’t keep her feet at all. CHildish but soooo funny.

I ended up owning that dog eventually and with just a bit of work he found he was able to get on with Kali pretty well after all.

[quote=“sandman”]Camera Loretta. Take a pic or two, and get someone to write a message telling the old guy that with the evidence you have, ONE phonecall is all it will take for the dogcatchers to come. He’ll know exactly what’s going on when he sees you with the camera, anyway.

Or pepper spray. Most dogs don’t like that much at all. A bit of vinegar in a squirt bottle can also be a pretty good deterrent.

I did the camera thing to my next door neighbour a few years ago, who had one of those great big white Japanese husky/wolf-like things that she totally couldn’t control. One day it bit my dog and penetrated right through its snout, so that blood was bubbling through the hole when she breathed.

I grabbed Kali, shoved her in the downstairs door and ran upstairs for my camera and a baseball bat. The owner was still there when I got down as she still couldn’t control the dog. I took some pics of my dog’s injury (pretty spectacular-looking by now) and of the other dog, which looked like a polar bear that had just been eating a seal – horror movie stuff – And told the woman that either she keeps the dog leashed at all times or I pursue the thing through legal channels, or I batter fuck out of her dog with the baseball bat (which I would never have done, as he was always totally friendly with humans and I actually really liked him).

She chose to leash the dog and everything was fine after that, until I brought a silent dog whistle over from blighty and would blow it from my balcony sometimes – did I say the dog was very big and the owner was very tiny? Boy, when that dog heard the whistle and took off, the woman really couldn’t keep her feet at all. CHildish but soooo funny.

I ended up owning that dog eventually and with just a bit of work he found he was able to get on with Kali pretty well after all.[/quote]

:bravo: :laughing: :notworthy:

I

I think Dofu needs some protection too. I am considering bringing back one of these guys when I next go to the States:

Please note: I do not in any way imaginable condone dog fighting.

[quote=“Tigerman”]I think Dofu needs some protection too. I am considering bringing back one of these guys when I next go to the States:

[/quote]

I would love to have a second dog, a large menancing beast :taz: that terrifies all passerbys simply by appearance, who could serve as a playpal/bodyguard for my current dog. Unfortunately, my current apartment is too small. One of the problems with my dog is that she is on the smaller side and quite timid. Most other dogs take an immediate dominant role with her and she just stands there helpless as I scare them off. I think her size and timid behavior also attracts the occasional idiot who wants to tease her.

One of those fellas above would surely dissuade any future shithead from scaring my dog. :smiley:

[quote=“smerf”]I would love to have a second dog, a large menancing beast :taz: that terrifies all passerbys simply by appearance, who could serve as a playpal/bodyguard for my current dog. Unfortunately, my current apartment is too small. One of the problems with my dog is that she is on the smaller side and quite timid. Most other dogs take an immediate dominant role with her and she just stands there helpless as I scare them off. I think her size and timid behavior also attracts the occasional idiot who wants to tease her.

One of those fellas above would surely dissuade any future shithead from scaring my dog. :smiley:[/quote]

You know, smerf… I was actually only half serious in my above post. However, the daily hassle of dealing with other people’s dogs frequently has me thinking of this in a half serious way.

I met a guy here who returned from the States after grad school and brought with him his two dogs… a Sharpei bitch and an American Pit Bull Terrier dog.

The bitch is smallish, as Sharpeis can be… maybe about 35 pounds. And as Sharpeis tend to be, she was somewhat timid.

But the APBT dog was a whopping 80 pounds of muscle and teeth. I asked him if he had any problems walking the APBT what with all of the unrestrained dogs around here. He said that indeed he had, but only when the other dogs attacked or behaved otherwise aggressively toward his bitch and then, never again with those particular other dogs.

I love APBTs, but even though I am often tempted to desire one for here… I don’t think I ever would bring one back. Those APBTs are all business when it comes to fighting and they just don’t quit. I’d actually be afraid to have one here.

And I wouldn’t want one actually for the purpose of attacking other dogs… Its just that poor Dofu is such a wimp, and he always backs down… when all he need do is stand his ground… that would resolve most of the problems we have with aggressive dogs on our walks.

In any event, when out with your doggie, it is very important that you protect her… she depends on you and she trusts you. While I wish Dofu would stand up and growl once in a while, I would never egg him on and always am there to step between him and the other dog.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
I love APBTs, but even though I am often tempted to desire one for here… I don’t think I ever would bring one back. Those APBTs are all business when it comes to fighting and they just don’t quit. I’d actually be afraid to have one here.[/quote]

I wouldn’t go for a pit bull, I think a German Shepherd would do nicely. Any dog that is bigger and has more self-confidence would work fine. There’s a guy near my home that has 2 dogs, a little fluffy white dog (no idea on little fluffy white dog breeds) and a Golden Retreiver. The Golden is very protective of the little dog and barks rather agressively at all other dogs that go anywhere near the little white one. The owner always has the Golden on a leash.

But, for now, I am stuck with the big dog enforcer role. :taz:

Well, my problem with wimpy Dofu is that he is afraid of any dog that acts aggressively toward him, regardless of size. An APBT would not fear any dog, regardless of size.

Maybe we can find you a nice spiked collar… :wink:

You could always consider a Great Dane. Great Danes are big lovable giants with a very deep-throated bark. They’re not suitable as attack dogs at all, but they make good watch dogs. They are also big dopes. And, surprisingly, they do not need a lot of room, or more exercise then most average size dogs and considerably less than a lot of other breeds. They also do not eat more than your average Labrador Retriever, despite their size. I hope to get a companion for Gustav in the next couple of years, and I will be seriously thinking about a Great Dane. I have already had some discussions with this breeder, as well as this one.

[quote=“Maoman”]

[/quote]

I think I could fit him in my apartment, I could throw out the couch and use him instead! :laughing:

What a gorgeous dog!

Naaah! What you want is a Scottish deerhound.