Dealing with out of control dogs

[quote=“sandman”]Naaah! What you want is a Scottish deerhound.
[/quote]

Is that photo from the family archives? You were quite the strapping wee bairn, weren’t ya now?

:laughing: Yeah, those pooches in that pic look menacing. Did those five hounds kill that mean bunny? :wink:

People used to use APBTs to hunt bear… but, they had to stop using these dogs because the APBTs would not simply corner the bear and then bark until the hunter with the gun arrived… they would attack the bear, oblivious to the risk and danger of doing so, and too many dogs were killed in this way.

APBTs will not back down from anything. They are like Samurai warriors with other dogs and animals… but, a good APBT is great with people, especially children. A good APBT does not necessarily make a good watch/guard dog.

How would you say Rottweilers fit in to the large menacing dog pantheon? Similar at all to APBTs?

Rottweilers are large and menacing. But they’re easy to train if you have a firm hand. My neighbour had a massive one who liked nothing better than to lock his fangs around your fingers and allow himself to be spun around and around off the ground, growling and snarling in a most ferocious manner.

Rottis are wonderful dogs. But, for gameness (willingness to complete a task, including a fight), nothing… nothing beats an APBT.

See this for info on the temperment of the APBT.

Naw, don’t use a club. Just get one of those high-powered water guns, and fill it with vinegar with cheap yellow mustard and/or a little capsicum added. Hit that mean dog at a distance until he learns to steer clear of you and your dog.

It won’t really hurt him, but is just noxious enough to be a deterrent (as is getting wet).

Vinegar spray works on kids too. But water’s probably enough for that purpose.

Another solution – next time buy a Rottweiler and take both dogs together. My parents walk with three Rotties. Nobody comes near them, not even their relatives.

[quote=“smerf”]
The kids

we’ve got a german shepherd here, biggest beast you’ve ever seen - if you think you’ve seen big shepherds in taipei, this one is about 1.5 times bigger…our shepherd is old and gots bad back legs(hip dysplasia[sp?]) but no dogs/adults/children/scooter punks ever mess with us when we’re out walking…a lot of times ppl choose to walk off the sidewalk and on to the road when they see us coming…i agree that size is indeed a factor our dog’s got a good personality(grew up playing with lots of children)and has never bitten another being(human or animal)…he’s pretty much just a big ol’ baby who doesn’t know just how big he is…

Rottweilers are definitely the ticket. My parents’ Rottie Gunther killed the neighbor’s dog. Sad, really. My dad didn’t have the strength to stop him. My parents said the neighbor’s dog was being mean to him and provoked the attack. What worries me is, what if it had been a kid or something? But they seem sweet to kids, and my parents have raised the three Rotties with good discipline otherwise. I guess I actually have mixed feelings about them though. The first time I visited, the dogs did not really welcome me, even though dogs generally love me. In fact, the would growl sometimes, and they can be quite menacing. After three days they had not accepted me yet so I told my folks to let me be the only one to feed them or give them snacks for two days straight. By the fifth day I was their ‘best friend’. Gunther is funny. He likes this one particular dog in a commercial, and even though the dog doesn’t appear until 20 seconds into it, the moment the commercial start he jumps to attention and becomes totally engrossed, eager to see the dog.

[quote=“smerf”]I

[quote=“mungacious”]
we’ve got a German shepherd here, biggest beast you’ve ever seen - if you think you’ve seen big shepherds in Taipei, this one is about 1.5 times bigger…our shepherd is old and gots bad back legs(hip dysplasia[sp?]) but no dogs/adults/children/scooter punks ever mess with us when we’re out walking…a lot of times people choose to walk off the sidewalk and on to the road when they see us coming…I agree that size is indeed a factor our dog’s got a good personality(grew up playing with lots of children)and has never bitten another being(human or animal)…he’s pretty much just a big ol’ baby who doesn’t know just how big he is…[/quote]

I’ve always been a big fan of German Shepherds. Size is a great way to keep people away. I used to have a German Shepherd/Golden Retreiver mix, a big lovable lug, but he sure would scare away any potential animal teasers here by his size alone. Plus, he had a ferocious roar of a bark. He’d be the perfect bodyguard for Buddy. :smiley:

[quote=“smerf”][quote=“mungacious”]
we’ve got a German shepherd here, biggest beast you’ve ever seen - if you think you’ve seen big shepherds in Taipei, this one is about 1.5 times bigger…our shepherd is old and gots bad back legs(hip dysplasia[sp?]) but no dogs/adults/children/scooter punks ever mess with us when we’re out walking…a lot of times people choose to walk off the sidewalk and on to the road when they see us coming…I agree that size is indeed a factor our dog’s got a good personality(grew up playing with lots of children)and has never bitten another being(human or animal)…he’s pretty much just a big ol’ baby who doesn’t know just how big he is…[/quote]

I’ve always been a big fan of German Shepherds. Size is a great way to keep people away. I used to have a German Shepherd/Golden Retreiver mix, a big lovable lug, but he sure would scare away any potential animal teasers here by his size alone. Plus, he had a ferocious roar of a bark. He’d be the perfect bodyguard for Buddy. :smiley:[/quote]

with proper room to let them roam, shepherds make great pets. plus no one ever messes with you, ever. ‘Wah, hao ke pah!’ :wink: