Dear ambitious, motivated, and adventurous people, living in a foreign country:

Please share how you made that next step to move abroad. And some of the obstacles you’ve had to overcome.

I’ve been desiring to move from the US to Europe for a year. The pandemic has given me more time to plan.

For the most part, my USA life has been cushy. I’ve got a stable federal government job and fun side gigs. My siblings work for top tech companies in San Francisco. My parents are the typical Taiwanese graduate school emigres, and they’ve transferred most of their wealth to their four children.

The only thing missing is in the women department. I don’t like how long I have to wait for intimacy or romance. I had heard the grass is greener abroad for Asian men, where women are less brainwashed by Hollywood’s influence. Furthermore, classist Europe blunts any racial disadvantages conferred on status. I visited Europe last year, and largely confirmed what I heard (I’ve posted about my time in the Czech Republic and Poland here).

UK and probably Germany are leading candidates for emigration, since the only other language I know is a little Spanish. Some here have shared that Brexit leveled the playing field between those from the continent and those not in vying for jobs.

I know data science, and can code in R and Python, so I guess that that would probably be my best ticket. People here have told me that I should at least get an interview with the UK company before going over there. Which is perfect, because I’m on the risk-averse side. I’ve looked at some job listings for data science online and they say that I need to be eligible to work in the UK.

I have a couple of properties in the US that I might need a property manager for if I leave.

1 Like

With your skills, you should be able to get a good job here in London no problem. But this is not the place to come to for women. No idea what gave you that idea.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input. I just need to get to Europe. And I don’t need easy women, I just need slightly better conditions than in the United States.

Agree with alankaz. I can’t possibly imagine how living in england would be better for women. or better for anything, than where you are. But hey, you should find out for yourself? why not? The experience of moving to another country is fantastic.

2 Likes

Larger firms are usually more willing and able to get you a work permit.

Rather than just applying for posted jobs, see if you can connect with companies through your LinkedIn contacts. Referrals boost the chance of success significantly and you’ll almost always get an interview.

2 Likes

Come over to the UK. It’s nice here. If you make it out here, I’ll take you out for a drink or food.

As for women, don’t worry, there are far more options than British women in the cities here. I can confirm I’ve found European women far more open to Asian men IME.

Like others said, big firms will be able sponsor you. Go through your contacts, and maybe look for US firms that have branches in the U.K.

2 Likes

Exactly, if you don’t like it, you can find a way to move back. I guess going to a new country seems like no big deal to me since I left for the US as a kid and moved around a bunch.

1 Like

Find a job, find a place to stay, go there. Pretty much the same as moving to a new city within your own country, save for a few extra visits at the embassy / local offices for the immigration formality. Obviously it helps a lot if you know the local language, but in English-friendly places (say Taiwan) you can get away with knowing just the basics.

Though I hope you’re not just doing that for the women. Europe is pretty much the same in terms of dating standards, and your best bet to improve in that domain is to work on yourself, the way you reach out to women, the way you dress and so on. But as others have said, moving to a new country is a nice adventure.

Just hope you can advertise yourself better than that when applying, cause there’s hundreds of thousands of people out there claiming the same (usually after having crammed two Coursera over a weekend). Put your past projects forward and let your achievements speak.

Also, as you’ve mentioned, sponsorship is tough to get. I got companies reject me too quickly after glancing at my CV and seeing I’m a student at a US uni; had to reach out to let them know I’m European and don’t need sponsorship.

If you can speak Mandarin tho, look out for specialized groups (LinkedIn or whatnot) that advertise bilingual jobs. I’m doing this for Japanese and it got me a few interviews.

OK, thanks. That’s great to know. Fortunately, I have technical papers and a peer-reviewed article in my portfolio.

1 Like

IS the grass greener on the other side? I dunno. Sounds like you have it pretty good over there.

Probably greener in england due to all the rain.

4 Likes

You could also consider a job in the Netherlands, germany or Sweden. If you have an European aprc, you’ll have the whole EU as a job market if you wish to search for another one later. You could also work for a company in country X and live in country y. You have the freedom of residence.

2 Likes

What is an aprc and how do I get one?

Alien Permanent Resident Card. Work and live for more than five years in the EU and you can basically live there without needing to always renew your visa Tec. You maybe have to stay in one country for the first five years but I’m not sure about that.

1 Like

For women have you tried dating apps?

As it’s the 21st century what about venturing as a digital nomad?

Be aware, that if you choose a non-english country, you’ll have to learn the local language to some extent. Germany requires A2 CEFR. It is extra work that you wouldn’t need in GB (even the you’d have to get used to british english), but it can pay out in the long run.

1 Like

Not sure if people are less influenced by Hollywood here but other than that, come on in, come on in… :smile: At least you can manage with only English here.

Whenever I ask Scandinavians why they talk like Americans, they always say “we watch American movies.”

1 Like

It’s true, and we also listen to American music! I’ve also heard Sweden being labelled as “little America” a few times but anyone who has been to Sweden know that’s false advertising. :joy: