Death at Longtan Motorcycle race

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]It boggles me mind that San Fran tommy starts a thread about an event, tragic indeed, in my neck of the tea groves.
Here I thought he only trolled the surf for flotsam about Taipei.

I hope this will be a lesson to all the rollers that cause no end of consternation as they weave and roar through Gaoyuan on their way to that shoddy track. Speed junkies need a place to let loose, but lots of them have no regard for the cardinal rule of safety first on public roads. I’ve had to reprimand a few of them at the nearby gas station after a few of them have roared past me and my kids on our bicycles. God knows what they get up to on an unlicensed, ill-kept track.

Doesn’t anyone know how to just go for a soda anymore?
[/quote]

I don’t understand anything you said! Can you please speak English![/quote]
I would try and dumb it down for you, but in essence it would fail.
That track attracts road hoggish vermin, and living in that community, I am of the firm opinion that it should be shut down.

Maybe I will see you at the gas station next time?
:imp:

Um…because you think they’re mad. :s

heres a thread of previous fatality. Id forgotten there were previous ones:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4&start=20

Um…because you think they’re mad. :s[/quote]
If I’m going to limit my discourse to people I don’t think are mad, I’m going to find myself in a mighty lonely place very soon. :laughing:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]
I would try and dumb it down for you, but in essence it would fail.
That track attracts road hoggish vermin, and living in that community, I am of the firm opinion that it should be shut down.

Maybe I will see you at the gas station next time?
:imp:[/quote]

Ok, you can have your opinion! That track has some problems for sure, but I have been racing out at that track for over 3 years now and I think it is great. I don’t mountain ride here because it is too dangerous for me. I really appreciate that track and it has given me hours of riding that I would never get to do if it was gone!

I consider myself to be a pretty good rider and I would say that 80% of the riders out there are too. There are the other 20% that are new or don’t know what they are doing, but I have been racing since I was a little kid and no matter what country or track you are on you will always have punks! Anyway, that track will never get shut down. Sorry, so you are just going to have to deal with it.

[quote=“tommy525”]heres a thread of previous fatality. Id forgotten there were previous ones:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4&start=20[/quote]

This was very sad! It had nothing to do with the track itself. It was human error! The guy who operated the gate to the track thought all the riders had come off the track and he allowed a car to enter. The motorcycle rider who was killed also didn’t notice the checkered flag and that the practice session was over and that is was time to get off the track. So this was just a terrible situation. It was so sad!

Yes and it points out that there should not be an illegal race track. Because its even more unlikely to be run properly.

IF there is to be a track it should be a licensed and proper track. I think there should be a track. And it should be licensed and designed properly and maintained as such, with the proper facility or at least well equipped transport to a proper facility to treat accident victims. Standby helicopter for example.

[quote=“tommy525”]Yes and it points out that there should not be an illegal race track. Because its even more unlikely to be run properly.

IF there is to be a track it should be a licensed and proper track. I think there should be a track. And it should be licensed and designed properly and maintained as such, with the proper facility or at least well equipped transport to a proper facility to treat accident victims. Standby helicopter for example.[/quote]

Like the one in center Taiwan…

[quote=“omerojs”]

Like the one in center Taiwan…[/quote]

Dapeng Bay is actually down south in Pingtung! It sucks because they make it almost impossible to get on the track if you aren’t rich. If you just want to start practicing, you need to buy a yearly membership for 25,000nt which you need to pay every year. Also practice sessions are 1000nt for a 20 min session. I would love to get on that track but since I live in the North I can’t justify buying the membership.

The only other way around it is if a club rents out the track for the day and you are affiliated with that club than you can practice without buying the membership.

You’re cool.

Oh.

Please don’t make my ego bigger than it already is! :roflmao:

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“omerojs”]

Dapeng Bay is actually down south in Pingdong! It sucks because they make it almost impossible to get on the track if you aren’t rich. If you just want to start practicing, you need to buy a yearly membership for 25,000nt which you need to pay every year. Also practice sessions are 1000nt for a 20 min session. I would love to get on that track but since I live in the North I can’t justify buying the membership.

The only other way around it is if a club rents out the track for the day and you are affiliated with that club than you can practice without buying the membership.[/quote]

You are right, its in Pingdong…
well up to some point i understand your feelings about that track… but hey. that is the price for safety… its a hobby and its not cheap and the risk to race in poorly maintained and designed tracks is your life… if you are willing to risk your life way more than you should then don’t care and race in longtan or other go-kart tracks… but honestly i think that the pingdong track is really cool… they invested lots of money to build it, now they are trying to stay open for some time till the racing sports become more popular… by then prices will drop and maybe they will even open a 2nd track…

this gos for all you guys who race in longtan…
how much money do you spend in 1 year fixing and maintaining your bike? how much do you spend in bars (it applies to general public who goes out for a few drinks every weekend)… how often do you practice?
if its such a good hobby for you then why dont you get a better bike, maybe a 250 or over and make it worth it to go down to pingdong to practice and race from time to time… get in a good club, i know WRS in Hsinchu goes at least 2 times per month… they race 600cc and bigger but who cares…
25k per year plus 3 sessions twice a month makes around 100k per year… leave the bike down there or find a club that will transport them every time… 100k is only 3kUSD which for a serious hobby is not much at all… and that is nothing compared with the safety and good fun that you will get…

Just in case… i dont intend to offend anyone, this is by no means personal with anyone, i only want to make you guys realize that your life is worth more… if you want to practice a “dangerous” sport then do it the right way…

[quote=“omerojs”][quote=“rk1951”][quote=“omerojs”]

Dapeng Bay is actually down south in Pingdong! It sucks because they make it almost impossible to get on the track if you aren’t rich. If you just want to start practicing, you need to buy a yearly membership for 25,000nt which you need to pay every year. Also practice sessions are 1000nt for a 20 min session. I would love to get on that track but since I live in the North I can’t justify buying the membership.

The only other way around it is if a club rents out the track for the day and you are affiliated with that club than you can practice without buying the membership.[/quote]

You are right, its in Pingdong…
well up to some point i understand your feelings about that track… but hey. that is the price for safety… its a hobby and its not cheap and the risk to race in poorly maintained and designed tracks is your life… if you are willing to risk your life way more than you should then don’t care and race in longtan or other go-kart tracks… but honestly I think that the pingdong track is really cool… they invested lots of money to build it, now they are trying to stay open for some time till the racing sports become more popular… by then prices will drop and maybe they will even open a 2nd track…

this gos for all you guys who race in longtan…
how much money do you spend in 1 year fixing and maintaining your bike? how much do you spend in bars (it applies to general public who goes out for a few drinks every weekend)… how often do you practice?
if its such a good hobby for you then why dont you get a better bike, maybe a 250 or over and make it worth it to go down to pingdong to practice and race from time to time… get in a good club, I know WRS in Hsinchu goes at least 2 times per month… they race 600cc and bigger but who cares…
25k per year plus 3 sessions twice a month makes around 100k per year… leave the bike down there or find a club that will transport them every time… 100k is only 3kUSD which for a serious hobby is not much at all… and that is nothing compared with the safety and good fun that you will get…

Just in case… I don’t intend to offend anyone, this is by no means personal with anyone, i only want to make you guys realize that your life is worth more… if you want to practice a “dangerous” sport then do it the right way…[/quote]

Yeah that would be awesome, but easier said than done. Maybe one of these days when I can afford to spend money on a full 600cc race bike and have it parked down south. Some day maybe. Right now I have a full race bike that is pretty much finished, so I will just keep using that for now. I have been cutting my racing down a bit though and have not been out there like I used too a few years ago. It was costing me just too much money. I will probably just keep my racing now to 2 to 3 races a year just for fun!! If you guys are ever going down to that track down south, then please let me know. I want to go and just check it out!! :smiley:

Sure!!!
Just be safe at Longtan!!
Tony goes sometimes to race his cars… next time i go with him ill let you know, maybe you can join us!!

[quote=“omerojs”]Sure!!!
Just be safe at Longtan!!
Tony goes sometimes to race his cars… next time i go with him ill let you know, maybe you can join us!![/quote]

Yeah I am always safe out there…thanks. Let me know if you or Tony goes out, it would be nice to catch up!