Death of Kaohsiung resident Karen Schmitt's husband the other day

I heard from a friend in Taipei about the sudden death of Kaohsiung resident Karen Schmitt’s husband the other day. He was a US Navy guy working in Tainan, I think. Karen was a Kaohsiung mover and shaker who started several magazines there and really helped the expat community in south Taiwan. Alot of my friends there say she was a phenomenon, lots of energy, great lady. Her husband, around 65, died suddenly, I guess. Maybe heart attack or something.

I thought might be nice here to offer a communioty board where people who knew Karen or her husband could leave messages of condolence. I do not know her email address or tel number, I guess that is private.

I just want to say I am sorry to hear the news, Mrs. Schmidt, and my condolences to you.

Well I don’t know either one of them, but I want to offer my condolences as well. When did this happen?

This note was forwarded to me today, for those of you who want to know more about the funeral, etc. The Schmitt family wrote:

"Please excuse the informal nature of our note.
However, this is the easiest way to provide you with details concerning arrangements made in honor Jack Schmitt who passed away on March 29 here in Taiwan.
Your thoughts and prayers provide us comfort at this time, for which we are genuinely grateful.

Memorial for Jack Schmitt
A non-denominational service led by Fr. Bruno Ciceri
April 3 (Thursday), 3pm
Holy Rosary Cathedral
#151 Wufu 3rd Road. Lingya District. Kaohsiung
(near the Love River Bridge)
(07) 223-1341

An Irish Wake
will follow courtesy of the Pig & Whistle British Pub
199 Ssewei 4th Road. Lingya District. Kaohsiung
(07) 330-1006

Burial Service with full Military Honors
May 7th, 3pm
Arlington National Cemetery
Washington, DC
For directions, please see: www.arlingtoncemetery.org
Further details regarding visitation and plot location to be announced

A fund is being set up in Jack’s memory through the
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) for those
wishing to make a donation. Information will be provided upon
request and once details are finalized.

Thank you very much.
We are genuinely happy to hear from you at any time."

Karen Schmitt and children:

Kathrine (Schmitt) Simon
Brandon Schmitt
Nicholas Schmitt

My condolences to Karen Schmitt and her family. Although I personally do not know Mrs. Schmitt, I have read some of her artilces in a variety of publications. Her vitality, curiousity, and love for Taiwan came through in each one. My sympathies are with her and her family during this difficult time.

Fee, and Jeff, acutally, Mrs. Schmitt was, …i recently learned, …a member of this online community as well, as often particiapted under her own username (which I don’t know). So she was a member of this oriented.segue.forumosa community since the beginning…