Death penalty: a good thing?

Do you support the death penalty?

• Yes
  • Yes for certain crimes (1rst degree murder, spying)
  • Yes, but only for Taiwan and countries other than my own
  • No

0 voters

Over the last few weeks, several posters have made approving reference to the death penalty with regards to hit and run accidents, reckless driving, child molestation and spying.

It made me curious which countries still have death penalty laws.

Amnesty International’s list of countries that still retain death penalty for ordinary crimes is surprising for which countries are included. Strange bedfellows indeed:

AFGHANISTAN
ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA
BAHAMAS
BAHRAIN
BANGLADESH
BARBADOS
BELARUS
BELIZE
BOTSWANA
BURUNDI
CAMEROON
CHAD
CHINA
COMOROS
CONGO (Democratic Republic)
CUBA
DOMINICA
EGYPT
EQUATORIAL GUINEA
ERITREA
ETHIOPIA
GABON
GHANA
GUATEMALA
GUINEA
GUYANA
INDIA
INDONESIA
IRAN
IRAQ
JAMAICA
JAPAN
JORDAN
KAZAKSTAN
KOREA (North)
KOREA (South)
KUWAIT
KYRGYZSTAN
LAOS
LEBANON
LESOTHO
LIBERIA
LIBYA
MALAWI
MALAYSIA
MONGOLIA
MOROCCO
MYANMAR
NIGERIA
OMAN
PAKISTAN
PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY
PHILIPPINES
QATAR
RWANDA
SAINT CHRISTOPHER & NEVIS
SAINT LUCIA
SAINT VINCENT & GRENADINES
SAUDI ARABIA
SIERRA LEONE
SINGAPORE
SOMALIA
SUDAN
SWAZILAND
SYRIA
TAIWAN
TAJIKISTAN
TANZANIA
THAILAND
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
UGANDA
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
UZBEKISTAN
VIET NAM
YEMEN
ZAMBIA
ZIMBABWE

I don’t support it. Even though I don’t like the idea of paying for someone to sit in jail either. And, I get the occasional urge for vengenace when wronged.

Studies I’ve seen don’t bear out the idea that it acts as a deterrent to crime. Here’s a collection of good studies on the topic of deterrence.

How do you feel about the death penalty?

My main problem is in what to do when you find out someone was wrongfully executed. :s

I support the removal of proven nasty people from society. I’d set them down on some awful, isolated island with a tin cup, packet of matches and a blunt knife. They could then eat each other or create an anarcho-syndicalist commune or whatever. I’m not comfortable with strapping someone down and poisoning them or gassing them because I couldn’t do it myself. Cases of wrongful execution of mistakenly convicted people gives me the heebie jeebies.

Set death row inmates up in the swankiest hotel in town, room service all weekend…then say, Monday morning, it’s back to death row. Suicide may just solve the problem.

Anyone have the numbers on the put to death but were innocent cases?

I am a dirty hippie. I think killing is killing. No matter who does it.

Certainly lessens repeat offenders.

The death penalty does not deter crime, but then again, I don’t know who the hell ever suggested it did. IMHO, it’s a retroactive thing…not a proactive one.

Rooftop, you can add another country to your list, as far as i remember the UK still has the death penalty, but only for commiting high treason or something like that.

I do support it, but only where the person has openly admitted the crime, force signed confessions would of course not count.

Thanks Traveller.

If you follow the link to the Amnesty site, you’ll see the list in the original post is of countries who have the death penalty for ordinary crimes.

There’s another list there that includes the countries that still retain the death penalty for capital crimes but, in practice, almost never use it or have effectively abandoned it. I believe the UK is on that list.

All for it, where the offender confesses to the crime. Where not, life should mean just that. I’d also support a duty roster, like jury service, where members of the public are called to throw the switch.

i don’t have a problem with it when someone has killed and there is no doubt they have done so. i mean that in the purest sense, NO doubt. if that standard for whatever reason cannot be met then i am against it.

Absolutely. Wi

I think for normal crimes, they should bring back the stocks and public humiliation. Perhaps a tatoo or something on the forehead like “I rob old ladies - stay away from me.”
That’s a deterrant.

[quote]
I think for normal crimes, they should bring back the stocks and public humiliation. Perhaps a tatoo or something on the forehead like “I rob old ladies - stay away from me.”
That’s a deterrant.[/quote]

People wear hats. :slight_smile:

In most cases, I oppose the death penalty. But every once in a while you come across sadistic bastards and psychopaths for whom I wouldn’t lose any sleep if they were to be executed. Canada has one Clifford Olson, as an example. I could live with the death penalty being applied in extreme cases of cold blooded violence. Only problem is the justice system in most countries is far from perfect and cannot assure every person found guilty was, in fact guilty.

The Bernardo fiasco was as bad. And Robert Picton and his pigs and prostitutes. Canada’s justice system sucks. Life really means 25 years and less with parole. At least the Americans know how to punish their criminals. Some of the States do anyway.

Well, right off the bat, let me say that I don’t like penalties of any kind, even small ones like parking fines.

And I really don’t like death, even though, as Tigerman has pointed out, it allows you to get away with a lot of stuff, such as missing work, etc. That’s just not enough upside for me.

But death as a penalty, wow, I wouldn’t like that at all. None for me, thanks.

I am against it even in in cases like you suggest. This is for two reasons.

1. I don’t think the state should be involved in unecessary killing, and if you are in custody then i don’t see the necessity.

2. I think you are creating two classes of guilty which seems a dangerous thing to do. You are guilty murder and youare guilty of murder too (but we are not sure enough to hang you, and so because we may have made a mistake, we are only going to deprive you of your freedom for a damn long period).

As a loyal Republican, my main concern about the death penalty is,
we really should hold them without legal rights for several years,
then torture them for a while.

[quote=“Shenme Niao”]As a loyal Republican, my main concern about the death penalty is,
we really should hold them without legal rights for several years,
then torture them for a while.[/quote]

aha

yet another one chumming the waters this evening. :slight_smile:

good luck!

I’ll give anyone the benefit of any doubt in a death penalty case but if the evidence is clear that they’ve wantonly murdered someone in cold blood they better hope I don’t get on the jury. I’ll be volunteering to pull the switch, pull the trigger, trip the trapdoor. They be gone.