Death Penalty for Foreigners under ESA

Employment Services Act
evta.gov.tw/lawevta/employee.html

Article 76

Any person that has been noticed yet still fails to pay fines under this Act is subject to compulsory execution.

I think ‘execution’ should be added to the 1000 words list. There’s going to be some finger pointing when the big brass realise this one.

[quote]An employer shall pay the traveling expenses and detention fees for the foreign employee that is legally deported by a police authority.

The said fee is prepaid by the Employment Stabilization Fund The competent authority of this fund shall give notice to the employer to reimburse the amount within prescribed duration. In case an employer fails to pay the fee in question, the case may be referred to compulsory execution.
[/quote]

Hey, I had to pay my own expenses. Does that mean I can have the employer executed?

WOW so serious! I wonder if they will actually enforce it…

you people really think this means “execution” as in here is your blindfold, last cigarette, please go and stand in front of that wall?

“Compulsory execution” is a term of art which means that the relevant authorities will enforce an order (e.g. of a court), or some other administrative obligation whether you cooperate or not, for example, by selling off your assets, taking money from your bank account, etc.

While the translation of the Act to which the link above goes is pretty bad, they got the term “compulsory execution” correct.

Line me up and shoot me… I think the original post was tongue in cheek…

Whoops! Guess who forgot to take his funny pill this morning.

Jeff, you crack me up really!

Excerpt from the Criminal Law of Taiwan:

. . . . Any person that has been found to be trafficking in heroin is subject to compulsory execution.

SAME WORDING!!!

Forgive me, but I’ve never seen that term used in an Art book before. Perhaps we might pull it out though if Cristo really tries to swathe Central Park in 2005.

I’m glad because that was my point all along. :smiley: I guess I just have a very twisted sense of humor. God, where can I find someone who is as sarcastic and cynical as me? :laughing:

Mayberry, RFD? :stuck_out_tongue:

I wasn’t sure if Amos’ post was tongue in cheek or a serious question, so I was just trying to be helpful.

“Term of art” in the legal context means specific words used to describe a course of action, rather than writing out the whole thing. For example, the phrase “compulsory execution” is used rather than saying “the sheriff will auction off the losing party’s assets to raise funds to pay the judgment that such defendant has lost.”

Richard Hartzell: Frankly, I think you know very well what compulsory execution is, especially considering that you hold yourself out as being quite familiar with R.O.C. laws and regulations. I previously admired your knowledge of the R.O.C. legal and regulatory system but it appears that I was mistaken.

Mayberry, RFD? :P[/quote]

Funny that you would reference Mayberry RFD. I have a T shirt with Andy and Barney staring at their hands and Andy is saying to Barney:

“Say Barney, did you ever REALLY look at your hands”

The caption is “Mayberry, LSD”.

Why does it matter what I know? Can the average foreigner who is picked up by the police argue with them based on what I know? No! Obviously, he/she can only argue with the police based on what his/her own personal knowledge of the law is!

And what about the police themselves? How would you rate their English language knowledge? So, when they see this “compulsory execution” terminology, will they know what it means???

I note that many of the police now carry around English language versions of the law . . . . . so if you get picked up and they give you “compulsory execution” . . . . . DON’T SAY YOU WERE NOT WARNED!

YES, YOU SAW IT FIRST HERE ON SEGUE.COM.TW !!!

I agree with your first paragraph Richard. For the average foreigner in Taiwan who doesn’t use Segue, I think they would be baffled by this terminology and probably feel very very scared!

As for the police carrying around around an English version of the law, oh dear God, I would love to see a copy of this. I think it would be a great party starting topic/joke!

I think the police will refer to the Chinese language version of the law, and in doing so, I am fairly certain that they will understand what the term means.

More and more policemen are carrying around the English versions of the laws now . . . . . and carrying loaded guns too!!!

So, be careful for “compulsory execution”!!!

Regardless of the definition of “compulsory execution” in both cases, I hope the poor foreigner has a right to trial first.

Unless… the police officer confuses “compulsory” with “summary”.
:shock: :?:

English question… since I’m sitting here in a smokey internet cafe, away from my dictionaries…)
Growing up… I always thought a summary was a condensed version of something such as book report. But then you sometimes hear… “looters will be subject to summary executions”.

From the American Heritage Online Dictionary:

1. Presenting the substance in a condensed form; concise: a summary review. 2. Performed speedily and without ceremony: summary justice; a summary rejection.

Here, next time you find yourself without a dictionary you can use this:
bartleby.com/61/