Debit cards from the Post Office

Check it out, fill out the forms if you already have an account and presto: debit card.

You get a discount at local department stores. They said yes, it can be linked to Pay Pal.

What stores accept debit cards in Taiwan? What net work is it on? I remember using a network that sounded like Master Card, Mastero I think, but my new cards and supermarkets since dropped that logo and service.

can you use the card online/at amazon?

It works anywhere visa/mastercard is accepted. You can use it online for amazon.com purchases as well as paypal and anyone else with a merchant account to accept credit cards.

Even on sites based outside of Taiwan? That would be great! I have a debit card from Huanan Bank, but since it can’t be used internationally, they said that I can only use it online if the company/site is based in Taiwan…

Yeah, there are some funny credit cards here that says only for use in Taiwan, wtf is that all about?

This article answers some of the questions that have been posted here:
“Post office to offer Visa debit cards”
taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xitem=64672&CtNode=415

Even on sites based outside of Taiwan? That would be great! I have a debit card from Huanan Bank, but since it can’t be used internationally, they said that I can only use it online if the company/site is based in Taiwan…[/quote]

You need to apply for the function to work overseas. In addition they don’t issue pins which is a big problem if you want to use it to pay for something overseas!

OK.

About the only time you need a PIN is when you want to use an ATM for a cash advance - in all other cases you can sign the slip.
So this card still looks like a good option for people who live in Taiwan and want to have a card they can use where they live and for internet shopping. :sunglasses:

Even on sites based outside of Taiwan? That would be great! I have a debit card from Huanan Bank, but since it can’t be used internationally, they said that I can only use it online if the company/site is based in Taiwan…[/quote]

You need to apply for the function to work overseas. In addition they don’t issue pins which is a big problem if you want to use it to pay for something overseas![/quote]

I’ve got a Visa debit card from First Bank that works online in TW but not overseas. I can use it in ATM overseas no problem. The bank said that that is standard for most banks. Fortunately, Taishin Bank offer a proper debit card that works online anywhere, so I have that as well.

OK.

About the only time you need a PIN is when you want to use an ATM for a cash advance - in all other cases you can sign the slip.
So this card still looks like a good option for people who live in Taiwan and want to have a card they can use where they live and for internet shopping. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Yuli, you always need a PIN when you buy anything in Europe. You key the PIN in on a machine that they have at the checkout.

No you don’t, but they go all funny if you want to sign, but it’s still possible to sign for things, it’s just that they rather want you to use the pin code.

We have those machines here, too, and the staff usually asks customers whether they want to punch in the PIN or sign the slip. Maybe staff in European shops is just less willing to serve their customers than Japanese staff? For some odd reason :wink: i’ve never had any problems anywhere with my cards, and i never use the PIN. But i take note of this comment:

I think i understand now. Having the number will make using the card more convenient (if not for the customer at least for the staff of the places where one goes shopping), but not having it won’t make using it impossible.

Useful information - thank you, Smith-san and Sweden-san.

The pin code is apparently to prevent fraud, or so they say, but it’s a load of crap imho, as it’s not exactly hard to look at someone entering the code and it could in fact make fraud easier.

Some places might refuse you to sign in the UK these days and then there are those parts of Europe that are still stuck in the stone age that just don’t accept cards at all…

so, which card works from a Taiwanese bank/PO that means I can use my locally earnt NT $ to buy stuff online like a normal debit card from the UK allows you to do?

Answer 1)
According to several reports on Forumosa (you may want to search for “Taishin Bank” to find those posts), the cards issued by Taishin Bank are said to work both online and in shops in other countries you may visit while traveling.

Answer 2)
About the card issued by the post office:

Here is the source of that information on the web: “Post office to offer Visa debit cards”
taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xitem=64672&CtNode=415

One open question about the VISA debit cards from the Post Office:

So how would one use the card with a Post Office ATM if there is no PIN. Any details, headhonchoII-san?

Different PIN … in Taiwan they use 6 digit PIN in Europe only 4 as I know …

The bit about Taishin Bank is here. They do require that you have an ARC that is valid for more than a year, so if you are lucky enough to have an APRC, JFRV, or an ARC valid for more than a year, you are good to go. If you are on a one year ARC, you might want to give it a try but you might get a “computer says ‘no’” situation.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Mega Bank appears to offer VISA debit cards, as well, and, like with the Post Office, it looks like one needs to apply to get the card to work outside of Taiwan:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4&start=31

Yeah, Japan has a strict residence requirement, as well, and so have the UK and many other countries.

However, orientexpat.com/taiwan/banking suggests that there are some banks that at least do not require an ARC to open a bank account. And according to page 24 of
proj1.sinica.edu.tw/~tigpcbmb/CB … ndbook.pdf
it sounds like the Post Office, too, lets people open an account with a passport only.

Does anybody have first-hand information?
(I am interested in opening a Post Office bank account myself after moving to Taiwan.)

6- to 8 for the standard PIN, but you can put a 4 digit PIN on your card for use in Europe.