Debit cards from the Post Office

[quote=“digiboy”]What a joke! Yes, you can get one. Yes you can use it in shops, and withdraw money OS. (you have a 4 digit pin)

BUT you cannot use it online or link it to paypal (I just tried…)… :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:[/quote]

afaik Paypal requires the billing address of your linked cards to be in the United States, so i’m not even sure why you’re pinning this one on the post.

[quote=“jashsu”][quote=“digiboy”]What a joke! Yes, you can get one. Yes you can use it in shops, and withdraw money OS. (you have a 4 digit pin)

BUT you cannot use it online or link it to paypal (I just tried…)… :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:[/quote]

afaik Paypal requires the billing address of your linked cards to be in the United States, so I’m not even sure why you’re pinning this one on the post.[/quote]

I use linked Paypal, Amazon etc with a Taishin debit card with no problems. Their only regulation seems to be that you must have lived in Taiwan at least one year before applying.

Do you have to romanize your address when you use Paypal with your Taiwanese credit cards?

You can set it up as English…if that’s what you mean…?

Yes.

so i should go on down to Taishin bank CFI?

Paypal will not let me change the country if I attempt to key in a new card? (The “United States” is just hard-coded into the webpage. It’s not a drop-down box or editable text box) :s

I’d rather link my Chinatrust credit card anyway. Have had no problems using it to charge purchases online and in person in the states. See no good reason to use a debit card as long as I’m not carrying a balance.

Yes.[/quote]

Do I need to worry about spelling discrepancies on record with the bank vs. the address I fill in with websites? Some sites only ship to addresses on file with the card issuer, and local banks most likely don’t file my addresses in pinyin.

[quote=“cfimages”]
I use linked Paypal, Amazon etc with a Taishin debit card with no problems. Their only regulation seems to be that you must have lived in Taiwan at least one year before applying.[/quote]
Actually, the requirement is an APRC or ARC that is valid for more than a year. I qualified for one (APRC) but my friend who has been here for 5 years and has a one year ARC, didn’t.

I am registered on PayPal with my Taishin card, no problems. It shows location, Taiwan and language, English. No problems!
I’ve also been doing (a lot) of buying on Amazon. No problems there either.

Can’t hurt to try.

Paypal will not let me change the country if I attempt to key in a new card? (The “United States” is just hard-coded into the webpage. It’s not a drop-down box or editable text box) :s

I’d rather link my Chinatrust credit card anyway. Have had no problems using it to charge purchases online and in person in the states. See no good reason to use a debit card as long as I’m not carrying a balance.[/quote]

I just selected Taiwan when I registered with Paypal.

Yes.[/quote]

Do I need to worry about spelling discrepancies on record with the bank vs. the address I fill in with websites? Some sites only ship to addresses on file with the card issuer, and local banks most likely don’t file my addresses in pinyin.[/quote]

Not that I know of. I’ve never had any problems.

[quote=“A-ha”][quote=“cfimages”]
I use linked Paypal, Amazon etc with a Taishin debit card with no problems. Their only regulation seems to be that you must have lived in Taiwan at least one year before applying.[/quote]
Actually, the requirement is an APRC or ARC that is valid for more than a year. I qualified for one (APRC) but my friend who has been here for 5 years and has a one year ARC, didn’t.

I am registered on PayPal with my Taishin card, no problems. It shows location, Taiwan and language, English. No problems!
I’ve also been doing (a lot) of buying on Amazon. No problems there either.[/quote]

I think they recently changed it. When I got my card the regulation was APRC/JFRV or ARC with more than one year validity, but a friend tried recently and they told him to come back in 2 months after he passes his first year of residency and they’d give him one then. I know at least one other person on a one year ARC who got one ok.

OK, I don’t know how recently your friends got theirs, but in Taoyuan City my friend was declined without even looking at his application 3 months ago.

They changed the requirements and now issue Visa debit cards to ARC holders on March 16, 2010, or six weeks ago.

They changed the requirements and now issue Visa debit cards to ARC holders on March 16, 2010, or six weeks ago.[/quote]
Thanks, I will let my friend know! :thumbsup:

Ahh… probably can’t change the country after registration then? Too bad.

Well, after excessive amounts of drama, I got my card today! Apparently they can be ready in much less than a week, since I only applied on Wednesday. There does seem to be some confusion about the PIN though - the lady told me that I must enter a 6 digit PIN, and that there was no way that I could have both a 4 and 6 digit PIN. I tried to tell her (repeatedly) that overseas ATMs require a 4-digit PIN, but she was not budging, and maintained that it was just not possible… I’ve only ever used 4-digit PINs before (on American cards), but looking online there seems to be all sorts of conflicting information about how many digits are possible/necessary in various places. I guess I’ll find out in a few days…
Has anyone actually used this card overseas yet?

[quote=“zyzzx”]Well, after excessive amounts of drama, I got my card today! Apparently they can be ready in much less than a week, since I only applied on Wednesday. There does seem to be some confusion about the PIN though - the lady told me that I must enter a 6 digit PIN, and that there was no way that I could have both a 4 and 6 digit PIN. I tried to tell her (repeatedly) that overseas ATMs require a 4-digit PIN, but she was not budging, and maintained that it was just not possible… I’ve only ever used 4-digit PINs before (on American cards), but looking online there seems to be all sorts of conflicting information about how many digits are possible/necessary in various places. I guess I’ll find out in a few days…
Has anyone actually used this card overseas yet?[/quote]

The six-digit PIN they refer to as the ATM PIN, and the four-digit PIN they refer to as the VISA PIN.

Not exactly related, but here’s Google’s automatic translation of the postal VISA Debit Card terms and conditions:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwebcache.googleusercontent.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcache%3ApGBgYVRElS4J%3Adownload.post.gov.tw%2Fpost%2Fdownload%2F98-04-40-93H%25E9%2583%25B5%25E6%2594%25BFVISA%25E9%2587%2591%25E8%259E%258D%25E5%258D%25A1%25E7%25B4%2584%25E5%25AE%259A%25E6%25A2%259D%25E6%25AC%25BE–9809.doc

hmm… It’s been pretty clear that so far, the people in this bank have not really had much of a clue. The lady seemed quite opposed to the possibility of having two PIN numbers on the same card, but I was talking about it in reference to ATMs, not in reference to buying things, since I’m not so familiar with that (we can always sign in the US), so maybe I will give her the (very slight) benefit of the doubt…
Too late now anyway, since I leave this weekend.
I don’t have terribly high hopes that it’ll actually work over there, but it would be a pleasant surprise. I’ll report back in a few days…