Debt collection for a debt that's not owed

Hey guys,

Ok two years ago I moved to Kaohsiung from Taipei. When in Taipei I returned my router and closed my internet bill with Chunghua Telecom. It’s not even a question that I did this, like I 100% did this and remember the whole situation. The service person must have not scanned in the box or the router. Part of me might know why because when I initially went there, I had to leave the box with the woman because I had to go to the ATM to get cash and come back. But she knew and told me to leave the box with her and then come back. When I came back she already had the router and equipment and I paid everything to close the account. Left without thinking anything of it.

Anyway shortly after moving to Kaohsiung I get a call from the Taipei office claiming I never returned my router and that I owe them money. At that time, I was livid because I just did it a week prior. So on the phone, I was like no I did this on x day, go back and check your cameras etc etc. Anyway, they said it was a mistake and not to worry about it.

Now nearly two f’in years later they send me a bill in Kaohsiung saying again that I owe them money for this router. I’m livid. It’s not much money, but I don’t think I should have to pay them money that I do not owe them. Basically for their incompetent workers messed up on closing the account. Anyway, the letter they sent me is threatening to take me to court over a 2 thousand NT bill.

Can they do this? Won’t it cost them more money to go through all this? And do I have any legal recourse? I don’t have any documentation seeing as it was nearly two years ago. Thanks in advance

I highly doubt they will sue over 2k. But unfortunately you will have to go in or call in again to debate with them to get them off your back

Get a match, burn it.

:rofl:

Technically, yes they can.

If they keep it up, consider sending them a legal deposit letter threatening to report them for harassment. :2cents:

Bad for the environment, man! :no_no:

Fareastone did the same thing. Erroneously sent a bill after everything was said and done.

Call every day and argue. Threaten going to the media. Go to the NCC.

Worked for me.

Just simply send them a copy of the receipt that you received from the lady when you turned in your gear and paid your final bill. Simple.

Remember that this is two years later, he might not have the receipt.

Bad habit not to keep your receipts for at least 2 years.

Tell THEM to provide proof that you didn’t return it.

Just a joke to lighten the mood. However, it does work sometimes…

1 Like

Right, but I am not responsible for everyone else’s habits. :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be unfortunate.

I have kept every single bill I’ve received while living in Taiwan in a nice filing cabinet. Someday I plan to pull out some old electrical bills or phone bills and compare with the present. It’s kind of fun to pull out old pay slips and realize that I got paid $3 USD per hour when I was a kid and thought I was raking it in because minimum wage was about $2 USD per hour. I have old carbon receipts showing $.60 a gallon for gas, which are interesting to look at as well. $12 USD to fill up my pickup’s tank! Those were the days. It would probably cost me about $100 USD for that same tank now.

4 Likes