Decent Earl grey tea

I am a fan of Typhoo brand, strong, fragrant. Alas, it is really elusive.

I have tried most brands at City Super, Mitsukoshi, even local organic. Allegedly British, Sri Lankan, etc. Nope, not hitting the spot.

Winter is coming and I need my breakfast stash. I got Darjeeling from India to drink with milk, local ginger sugar tea for cold days, but I want my Earl grey to wake me up.

2 Likes

We get Twinings from Carrefour

I was about to say so: no Twiggings. It is like Tien Rea, too commercial, too fake.

I know the put synthetic Bergamot in it here (Bergamot flavoring ) , not actual Bergamot

And this is the main problem: even if it is not fake, it does not taste right. It is like Starbucks for ā€œcoffeeā€.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t Twinings supposed to be the gold standard for Earl Grey? Personally, I canā€™t stand Earl Grey, butā€¦

5 Likes

we found it at Jasonā€™s. Typhoo brand too. or try shopee!
https://shopee.tw/ļ¼Šé˜æęå”Anikeļ¼ŠTYPHOO-č‹±å€«ä¼ÆēˆµčŒ¶2gx20å…„-č£ø包(共40g)-i.3424504.453900508?sp_atk=27188f8b-a738-4904-b127-d2e5779fe069

1 Like

Taylorā€™s of Harrogate, loose leaf is the real deal. 1919 Italian Coffee Company on Tiding blvd Neihu.

https://24h.m.pchome.com.tw/prod/DBCO0I-A900BUXIC-000?gclid=CjwKCAjwiY6MBhBqEiwARFSCPmiFVRn2MLIJJX5Avc_eLVQNoUdyf7snYr_ayUPXfsDw_w7sLGxTBxoC_l4QAvD_BwE

4 Likes

Twinings is pure pish.

2 Likes

Accompanied with a slice of Yorkshire Parkin in Bettys

But to be honest I prefer a strong builders tea.

Well, better than Lipton I suppose. But Iā€™m a java junkie, so what do I know?

I like Twinings Earl Grey and I have an exceptional palate.

3 Likes

Soft or hard? :thinking:

1 Like

Same company also sells Yorkshire Gold, the best builders tea ever.

2 Likes

Do you like Kusmi?

Which Jasonā€™s? I recently dared to go to the one in Q Square and they were out of Typhoo Earl grey.

No Shoppe for me. I boicot China company.

Isnā€™t from Singapore?

Too many China merchants.

TWG. Not Twinings. T. freaking W.G. No, they arenā€™t the same company. TWGā€™s earl grey is the best earl grey tea Iā€™ve ever tried. I was taken aback by how complex the taste can be. So many varieties of earl grey they have(french, smoked, breakfast). Iā€™m surprised you havenā€™t checked that out?

I disagree I think Twinings non export is far superior.

Liptonā€™s can be good if brewed right.

And drowned in whole milkā€¦

1 Like