Decent pubs in Taipei?

Heading back to the island for a few weeks in October/November. It’s been a few years so I’ve no idea where to get a decent beer and a feed. Any recommendations?
Hope to see some old faces in the big smoke.!
Cheers, Dazz

Clearly no decent pubs then…lol

1 Like

On Tap is the biggest expat pub in Taipei.

For a more interesting option check out Beer Geek. Also the boys from Redpoint brewing have opened their own taproom, called, Taproom, which has their own outstanding locally brewed beers on tap plus some great food.

Facebook will give you the addresses.

Also Speakeasy for craic, Brass Monkey for sports.

1 Like

Thanks mate, I don’t mind a decent Craft Beer so I’ll give those places a look. Cheers, D

1 Like

Redpoint has a new beer called Hazy Platypus. Their food is good.
received_280426942568843_1 received_316870385785922 received_319041425315598
received_720537334990044

1 Like

How dare you taunt me like that…
…can’t wait to try that Platypus.

1 Like

It’s very similar to the Disco Macaw. I’m afraid they’ll have to increase their prices. The tuna tataki was about 340NT. Happy hour is from 6-8 and most beers are 100-160… I haven’t tried it yet but I hear the reuben is quite good. The owner said they will be adding tomahawk steaks soon. Many of the craft beer pubs here have “popups” for food because they don’t have a kitchen.

Beer Geek is the best pub pub in Taipei

1 Like

Pubs? We are grand, aren’t we? Off to play the grand piano?

What’s wrong with huddling outside a 7-Eleven trying to figure out a way to get out of buying a round of 42NTD Tsingtao, eh? The real expat experience. You pub drinkers don’t know you’re born.

3 Likes

You might wanna check out the new offerings on The Brass Monkey food menu. Bob Marshall is working some magic over there. The Shrimp Curry is not to be missed.

1 Like

If you’ve been in Taiwan longer than six months, and/or are over the age of 25, EVERYTHING is wrong with that!

SOP for the hockey boys.

1 Like

Good point. You can get Bar Beer cheaper.

1 Like

7/11

Only reason I’d go there I suppose, never was a fan of the place. I know Bob does great things with his culinary skills- and i do love a good curry. It’s a maybe.

1 Like

Pretty sure I can afford a decent pint:). 7/11 for all its booze bargains lacks atmosphere, and it’s too bright for my photosensitive eyes

Yeah I don’t think brass monkey is a good pub. In fact I think it doesn’t say much for Taipeis nightlife scene that it’s one of the most popular ‘pub’’ pubs. The place is basically a large room with outdated decor (I guess every Asian city has similar but at least you may have more choice).
But the food that Bob Marshall cooks up is pretty damn good!

1 Like

I heard Brass Monkey manager Bob is no longer there. Where did he/you go?

Asking him now…please stay tuned.

Yup. He’s out. Sad. He made the place edible.