Decent rain suits?

Are decent rain suits available? What can I expect to pay for one? I need something that will actually keep the rain off in a downpour so that I don’t get to work with a soggy butt and wet shirt front. :fume: I understand some condensation on the inside.
Leg zippers and a roomy waistline (38-40") are a definite plus.
I’m willing to pay for it if I can find it.

99% of rain suits for motorcycles are for small amounts of rain. If you get caught in downpours and want to stay dry, go to a outdoor/hiking store(all over the place) and buy a jacket shell and a pair of breathable waterproof pants, and stuff a pair of slippers in your seat. probably run you about 6 K.

Feet/shoes aren’t the problem. In heavy rain I wear long, zip-up over boots. I bought a shell and pants at an outdoor gear store for about $2500 that soaked up water and leaked even after an extra coating of spray on silicone. I guess I’m going to have to spend a lot more. Do bigger scooter shops carry rain gear, or am I relegated to what I find elsewhere?

You need to buy gore-tex stuff if you want to keep dry. Jacket and pants from europe cost me around 400e, dont know how much those are in here. Tested those in typhoon few years ago… i was dry after 17km of riding still :smiley:

I bought a gore-tex jacket at one of the shops near TP main station (don’t remember which one). It was pricey - around 5000 NT I think. But that and some rain pants bought in the US kept me dry riding my bicycle around today.

2500 NT for both jacket and pants is not going to get you great quality :2cents:

God invented taxis. Use them and forget about the f’ing raincoats!

8x 500 NTD = a decent light weight goreyex Columbia or North Face Jack / pants . Economically more advisable.

Can’t take taxis on a hiking trip neither :slight_smile:

8x 500 NTD = a decent light weight goreyex Columbia or North Face Jack / pants . Economically more advisable.

Can’t take taxis on a hiking trip neither :slight_smile:[/quote]

The hell I can’t! Best hike in a rain storm is a bottle of scotch and a smoking taxi driver!
Forget the rain suits and BTW, who in the hell would even think of going hiking in a rainstorm? Not me!

Take a taxi 16 km one way to work, twice a day, 5 days a week? Umm…no. I’m thinking I might try the police/military supply store, and if they don’t have anything worth buying I’ll head to the outdoor gear shop.

My wife and I bought ~2,500TWD Polar Star rain suits from a camping store last year. Hers seems to be okay, but mine leaks. I had one that I bought six years ago for ~1,500TWD. It lasted 5 years. I wish I could find that brand again.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

[quote=“SlowRain”]My wife and I bought ~2,500TWD Polar Star rain suits from a camping store last year. Hers seems to be okay, but mine leaks. I had one that I bought six years ago for ~1,500TWD. It lasted 5 years. I wish I could find that brand again.

Anyone have any other suggestions?[/quote]

What was the brand of the other one that you bought?

I can’t remember. They were black and red, but I think they came in a couple of color combinations. They certainly didn’t look expensive like the Polar Star ones we have now, but they were certainly better. Not perfect, but better.

After years of the PVC crud they sell here that last only one or two years I upgraded. Brand called ‘RoadMaster’ that I got from a online place in the States and then had shipped over. Well worth the price and in addition to lasting longer than two years they are also not made of PVC and are somewhat breathable, which is helpful for sure in this climate.

Have a couple Columbia jackets also that I use when the weather is cold enough, as well as a low price Columbia ‘rain jacket’ that works great as well (2000nt is not cheap for some users but for a decent rain jacket it is low price in my opinion).

So two options pay for good gear and stay dry or buy the local stuff that wont work very good or long, plus the local stuff made of PVC will add more sweat to the ride.

Road Master is the brand I mentioned and I recommend it highly. Purchased it from ridersdirect.com.

Went to the outdoor gear store.
Previously bought a jacket/pants set there called Litume that was supposed to be a rain suit. Don’t buy this brand name. You will get wet. The fabric absorbs water then starts leaking. I tried treating it with spray on silicon and it still leaked. :fume:
So now I have a suit by Mont-Bell made with Gore-Tex with sealed seams and sealed zippers. For what I paid they BETTER keep the rain off.

Any updates to this thread?

is this worth it? $400usd, but looks kick ass and way less bulky.

vimeo.com/44092133

Here’s a doozy… accommodates two, doubles as a tent, and a porta-potty!!

*skip to 1:40

Several people in this thread have mentioned Columbia rain gear. Are they still working out fine? Did you buy them in Taiwan?

I have a set of Helly Hansen. Well worth the investment.

Columbia gear is still working great, onto winter Columbia gear now. Replaced my set since the other half took my gear when she realized how good it was. It costs a bit, but it will last.

Even with high end or pvc crap, you need to let it dry. Hang it up overnight, that will help any gear last longer.