Decorated trucks with lights and music parading in the streets of Taipei

Good evening all! This evening around 30-45 minutes ago, sounds of firecrackers and music coming from the street lured me to the balcony. A parade of vehicles, some decorated all over with lights, some with parade like sculptures (what looked like animals and deities), and some with drums and drummers on the back, made its way through our Nangang neighborhood. We are kind of high up and it was hard to see exact details. The music reminded me of Indian music.
Anyone know what this is?

Normal temple parade.
Usually moving a God from one temple to another. Or other reasons.

1 Like

Delightful - have not seen this before and it was quite enjoyable to observe. Thanks for filling me in.

Wait till it comes by at 6AM on a Sunday morning. Won’t be anywhere near as delightful then.

1 Like

Maybe the Dream Parade people were rehearsing?

I heard that it was about ‘ushering’ Matzu. Probably a temple had a new statue.

Without skimpily-clad pole dancer, no one had died.

It is for Matsu’s birthday

Some of them will be going to China for reunion tomorrow.

Matsu sect is highly politicalized pawn of CCP.

1 Like

Yeah, apparently co-opted

Keep your eyes open and camera ready, it happens frequently, probably daily, all over Taiwan. Just not in the same place all the time and not easy to find schedules.

1 Like

I love these things. They’ve got god-puppets, and temple statues mounted on sedan chairs. The bigger ones add ba jia jiang (kung fu guys in demon makeup), lion and dragon dances, drumming troupes, marching bands, and all kinds of cool stuff.

Yes, this is what it was! It was awesome and I can’t wait to see more.

1 Like

Well today is the Big Day: Matsu`s birthday.

Ha ha, probably not!

Also, if the parade is blocking your intended route, just push your way through

They love that

It’s pretty funny you can just walk right in the middle of these parades anytime any point and they don’t even notice. There could be a priest dancing around fireworks and channeling a local God and you can stand beside him and no one cares.

The sensory consequence of beinng in spiritual Darkness.

Yeah, I was pretty much bullshitting there, I’ve seen numerous times where anyone who even nudges in gets the living fuck beat right out of them by the 8 Generals thugs.

I have never experienced anything like that. Usually they’re saying go go or pushing or pulling me to get in the middle of it. Maybe they think I’m a good luck ghost or something

Maybe you just look like a badass.
Or they were just deferring to the superior voodoo of the Great White Monkey Deity…