Deep Purple Concert May 8th discount tickets

No, but a decent sized crowd. Surprised me. I liked the guitarist Steve Morse; he was, like, shit-hot.

Ian Gillan’s stage presence hasn’t waned a bit over the years.

No, although I don’t honestly know what the final attendance tally will be. Funny, the group of 15 that Taffy and I were a part of had $800 tickets way in the back, but just as the show got underway we all booted it up front and were basically 10 feet from the front of the stage for the entire show. Had to chuckle a bit at the expense of those who paid $4000 for front row seats. Security was nonexistent, not that it was needed, but everyone basically just rushed to the front and enjoyed the show.[/quote]

Yeah right, I had a 3200 NT ticket, and rushed in front like everyone as it started… didn’t want to buy cheaper, as I got cheated last concert for Gamma ray, which ‘rock area’ ticket didn’t allow us to go in front of the stage, reserved for the VIP ones…

still think it was worth it ! rock’n roll never dies.

I thought his vocals lacked on the high notes.

Compare this
youtube.com/watch?v=PLgOcNAVzvo
to this
youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c&NR=1
and you can hear.

I do remember reading his vocals were never the same after something happened (I can’t remember what) about 20 years ago…

I also thought some of their new stuff was average.
But it was good to see a large crowd and another international huge selling band performing in Taiwan (which is a joke for attracting such acts unfortunately).

One of the reasons I wouldn’t stay here permanently is the lack of access to gigs from named bands.

puberty?

puberty?[/quote]
He’s older than that.
I wish he would have done the Jesus Christ Superstar movie. The most disappointing thing about that movie is the crappy Jesus they got.

You’re right that he doesn’t have the power he had back then. But he was perfectly in tune, which is more than I can say for many modern acts. Also, as people in my group noted, they didn’t do Child in Time - probably to avoid Gillan stroking out during one of the high wails. Still, it was pretty impressive from someone who is (just about) old enough to be my grandfather.

No, but a decent sized crowd. Surprised me. I liked the guitarist Steve Morse; he was, like, shit-hot.[/quote]

Steve Morse is phenomenal. I had the great pleasure of joining a guitar workshop with him back in the early 90’s. I didn’t know that he was touring with Purple now.

You’re right that he doesn’t have the power he had back then. But he was perfectly in tune, which is more than I can say for many modern acts. Also, as people in my group noted, they didn’t do Child in Time - probably to avoid Gillan stroking out during one of the high wails. Still, it was pretty impressive from someone who is (just about) old enough to be my grandfather.[/quote]
Agreed. Some of the higher notes weren’t spot on, but hey, it’s not 1971 anymore! :laughing:

I think I remember reading something from an interview with Gillan back about 10 years ago and already then they had phased out doing Child In Time live. It’s a killer. He said he didn’t want to do it if he couldn’t do it as it should be done. While I would have loved to have heard it, I admire that integrity.
All in all, he sang very well and the band was awesome for their parts. Can’t say Ian Paice on drums is any different now than he was back in the day.