Deep thoughts on Chinese repairman fixing your water pipes

If you ever have a Taiwanese man tearing up your bookshelf to get to a leak and see him start banging away at hole where there is a steady stream of water pouring out and you get to thinking, “Maybe I should ask him if he shouldn’t turn off the water to my apartment before he continues”… speak up.

Hmmm…Mei Guan Xi !!!

A fellow up here has the opposite problem. His water pressure is nearly zilch.

Maybe that was me? I believe we got it fixed now. Seems to have be the a clogging in the water tower.

Good luck with your apartment. I hope the guy is not flooding it… :unamused:

No worries - it’s just water. My gas-man tried to repair my gas stove with a lit cigarette in his mouth

All very strange, they usually fix problems like that with a Ton of Silicon, obviously with the main water supply still on.

[quote=“mesheel”]Maybe that was me? I believe we got it fixed now. Seems to have be the a clogging in the water tower.

Good luck with your apartment. I hope the guy is not flooding it… :unamused:[/quote]
Ah, but then how would I gain such valuable insight into the universe?
Floor is dry now. Shoes are not.

He has water pressure now.

2 1/2 years ago guards at the front gate used to ask us about the water so we knew there was a problem.

Finally, after 3 months of phoning each day the repairman came out and announced we had water pressure to the meter. Just behind the meter was a garden tap with no pressure but a dribble so I asked how that could be. No answer, no return from these people and 2 more months phoning them.

Turns out there is a pressure limiter. I was finally told ours was busted. We had no water at this time and I went out on the road to get water for a shower/ bucket job each morning and night.

So, pissed off at 5am one morning with no repairman coming soon I pulled the pressure limiter apart and tried shoving a bolt in it then tightening the assembly back up.

We now have enough water pressure to blow christ off the cross to use an expression from one of my Dads employees years ago. Dad was deeply religious btw and was deeply disturbed to find that we had a tractor that could pull christ off the cross and we had JC nails that we used on various projects.

I’ve just had an electrician rewire and reconnect two light fittings without turning the power off. Basic electrical safety 101… :loco:

I freak when I see office cleaning staff plugging in vacumn cleaners and such with the electrical prong ends being bare stripped wires…

OSHA? I think no…

I have continually had the worst luck with any repairman doing work in my apt. I have never successfully had anything repaired on the first visit. I am so disgusted with repairmen in this country it would have to be dire for me to allow one into my apt. again.

Leaking water pipe would qualify as “dire”.

My old landlord once sent somebody over to fix the electric lines, as my apartment was the only one in the building that suddenly didn’t have any electricity. (Which, as it was a rooftop apartment, also meant we had no water pressure.) After several hours of work, they found the lines. Instead of re-connecting them, they merely capped all them off and left. As the circuit had not been re-established, the apartment of course still had no electricity.

This is part of the “almost” approach.

Its almost right.
It was almost completed.
It was almost level.
It was almost waterproof.
It was almost safe.

and on.

We have a problem in our apt at the moment. Half of the plug sockets have stopped working. We haven’t overloaded the system as far as we can tell… only had a fan on…not air con. We go to the fuse box, sort it , and then it cuts out after about half an hour… Should we call in a local electrician (i.e. one we have chosen) or get the landlord to sort it?

Judging from what you’ve said above… sounds like I’m in for some fun

[quote=“Funk500”]We have a problem in our apt at the moment. Half of the plug sockets have stopped working. We haven’t overloaded the system as far as we can tell… only had a fan on…not air con. We go to the fuse box, sort it , and then it cuts out after about half an hour… Should we call in a local electrician (i.e. one we have chosen) or get the landlord to sort it?

Judging from what you’ve said above… sounds like I’m in for some fun[/quote]

Your in New Orleans, whats the problem?

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Funk500”]We have a problem in our apt at the moment. Half of the plug sockets have stopped working. We haven’t overloaded the system as far as we can tell… only had a fan on…not air con. We go to the fuse box, sort it , and then it cuts out after about half an hour… Should we call in a local electrician (i.e. one we have chosen) or get the landlord to sort it?

Judging from what you’ve said above… sounds like I’m in for some fun[/quote]

Your in New Orleans, whats the problem?[/quote]

In spirit only I’m afraid :slight_smile:

Well, your in deep crap.

There are good people, you just have to use the friends of friends thing.

Your first port of call must be the landlord though unless you got cheap rent to do your own repairs.

Actually, in Taiwan everybody qualifies as “repairman”, It’s like the lotto, if you’re lucky you get a good one.

I’ve just had an electrician rewire and reconnect two light fittings without turning the power off. Basic electrical safety 101…

Aww, heck, I’ve had that in the States!

…of course, the electrician was Chinese, but…

Back when I had to have my apartment’s electricity re-connected, it was rotten deal. The landlord, himself, had a business selling electrical stuff and even he had no clue that the circuit needed to be completed before my apartment would have electricity again. The electrician he hired back then also apparently had no clue as to electric basics.

Since then, I’m amazed by the pathetic wiring work I’ve seen around town. One of the swimming pools I go to has all sorts of stuff just patched together with spliced wire and electric tape. It’s as if nobody bothers to wire things up the right way. And the number of fixtures with scorch marks around them!!

I recently had some work done – the electrician (not one of the bozos chosen by the landlord) was impressed that I actually cared about getting genuinely grounded outlets.