Degree not Recognized by Taiwan Government

Here’s a joke that might help.

An external review committee came in to assess the workings of an academic department in Taiwan. In their final report, this committee noted critically that the faculty regulations kept changing, almost yearly. In response to this report, the faculty gathered round, nodding their heads in agreement, and . . . changed the regulations. :upside_down_face:

Guy

5 Likes

I think we’ve talked on here about whether or not degrees from accredited universities in the US that had online classes. While trying to refind that link, I came across this:

2. a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university (database for the Reference List of Foreign Universities https://www.fsedu.moe.gov.tw ), excluding those degrees which have half or more of the courses completed online or through distance/correspondence learning

Those qualifications are only for that program, but that’s a government program and it’s very specific about online learning. Does that mean it’s not possible to get a work permit if you have a degree from, say University of Phoenix, which is on the list? I don’t know how they would know unless there is a separate list, or if it’s indicated on the diploma.

1 Like

This has often noted as a disqualifying factor in the past.

Why would they even put that on the degree if it prevents people from getting a job. It doesn’t seem like something that would be required.

Thanks for the link, @tempogain!

On the May 1, 2019, Internet Archive capture of the homepage of the site http://www.fsedu.moe.gov.tw, there’s a phone number and an e-mail address, which hopefully can be used for questions about the site:*

Google Translate translates the above as follows:

*A word of caution: The Internet Archive Wayback Machine capture of the page doesn’t seem to be fully functional. Also, I can’t guarantee that the above-quoted e-mail address and phone number can provide the necessary information about the site, or about degrees.

1 Like

it’s not on the diploma

the only possible way to find out if credits were earned online would be through transcripts…but even transcripts don’t often state that.

So how can it be given as a reason for denying a work permit? Transcripts aren’t required for work permits anyway. I don’t understand why that requirement would be on a government program if there is no way of verifying it.

People have said in the past they won’t take diplomas that specifically denote they’re from online courses, that’s all I know.

You don’t remember any of the issuing universities?

Anyone know any universities that definitely don’t denote this?

Phoenix

Ashford

Many of the major US universities make no distinction between the on-campus and online programs. It should say so on the program website, for instance: FAQ | Computer & Data Science Online

Is this degree equivalent to the UT Master of Science in Computer Science degree offered to on-campus students?
Yes, your diploma will read exactly as that of an on-campus graduate.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

Anybody know the exact procedure/requirements on getting the Taiwanese Government/MOE to accept your qualification/college and has anyone had any luck in doing so?

From what I’ve seen in the thread you have to get your qualification certified by the Taiwanese Embassy in your Country but not sure the steps to then take thereafter. Can the employer in Taiwan apply for this on my behalf once I have my Qualification certified or is this something I have to do?

I’m in South Africa and I have a 2 year degree from a Pearson Institute which is accredited by the South Africa Government.

Sorry, is this for English teaching or something else?

@tempogain correct, this is for English Teaching.

1 Like

If you mean in a cram school, you just hand in the embassy-certified diploma with your work permit application. There’s no additional process.

I did not have to certify any diplomas. I sent pictures of my M.A diploma, teaching certificate via e mail and the agency did their job.

sorry should have been more clear, I’ve been made an offer to teach at Genius English, http://www.geniusenglish.com.tw, and my employer is trying to obtain a work permit for me so that I can get a working Visa, but the Taiwanese government won’t accept my qualification as the Institute I obtained the qualification from is not on their list of approved college/universities. That is why I would like to know how I can get them to accept my qualification.

Diploma yes, apologies. I also have a 126 Hour TEFL diploma, and yes the School did.

If they won’t accept it, they won’t as far as I know. I’m not aware of any way to get them to accept a diploma they don’t recognize. Did the embassy certify it?

I did not certify it by the Embassy no, I provided the Diploma to the employer and they applied for the permit. So even if I get it certified, is there anything else I can do if they do not accept it?