DEHP: Taiwan's Version of the Chinese Milk Scandal?

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … racing.htm

oh boy !!! how long have we been drinking this stuff? Lets hope not much of it found itself into food.

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2011/05/25/303658/DOH-tracing.htm

oh boy !!! how long have [color=#FF0000]
we
[/color] been drinking this stuff? Lets hope not much of it found itself into food.[/quote]
Hmmmm… Where do you live again? :whistle:

This is why I only drink tea, coffee and beer.

well WE (meaning me) was there in the summer of 2009 my friend and I may well have ingested some of this chemical shitzle . I sure hope not.

And I am concerned for you guys/gals wellbeing ya know?

If you are a guy, just wear your girlfriend’s bra and you’ll be just fine.

Yeah, but you can’t drink from your girlfriend…

Is there a list of the affected products?

It’s a bit difficult to pinpoint all the products, you see, the problem is at wholesale level:

[quote]Prosecutors said clouding agent formulated with palm oil may be used as a food additive. However, as the cost of palm oil is high, Lai is alleged to have been adding industrial plasticizer to his clouding agent, which he supplied to at least 45 soft drink and dairy manufacturers around Taiwan.

Lai, 57, the owner of the largest clouding agent supplier in the nation, has a high-capacity manufacturing plant in Dongguan, Guangdong Province, China, and supplies Chinese and Vietnamese manufacturers as well as local companies.

[/quote]
Taipei Times

Here a partial list from Taiwan’s FDA:
fda.gov.tw/files/news/附件3%20%20%20%20食品中檢出塑化劑DEHP清單修改.pdf

Here a longer explanation: fda.gov.tw/files/news/0524.1630昱伸下游廠商.pdf

In summary, they put this in drinks, jellies, jams, cake fillings, etc. So, as whole sellers, they gave this to coffee shops, drink stands, breakfast places, etc. meaning that morning toast, that guava drink, the passion fruit green tea, the snacks, etc. are all laced with this plastic.

Edit:
Mods, help, can’t make links work

The guy should be executed like they did with the perps in China. Messing with peoples lives like that.

[quote=“Icon”]Edit:
Mods, help, can’t make links work[/quote]

Maybe these will work:

fda.gov.tw/files/news/%E9%99 … %94%B9.pdf

fda.gov.tw/files/news/0524.1 … %95%86.pdf

I guess the board doesn’t embed Internet addresses that contain Chinese characters.

The “Inspect element” function of Google Chrome (made available by right-clicking the page) gave Internet addresses that didn’t have Chinese characters.

Edit: It may be that this particular adulteration is something new:

[quote]Yang, who works for the Food and Drug Administration under the DOH, spent two weeks identifying the signals as being caused by DEHP, which had never previously been used, to her knowledge, as a food additive.

"No medical or food-processing archives from Taiwan or abroad have indicated that DEHP has been added to food or drink products, " Lo quoted Yang as saying.[/quote]–Central News Agency, “Taiwan: Mother of two becomes heroine behind DEHP-tainted drinks probe,” Taiwan News Web site, today

Some additional information (OT): as far as IT related software and hardware is concerned there can’t be anything except alphanumeric characters (letters, figures) and a few permitted punctuation marks in a URL or e-mail address, so internally all those URLs and e-mail addresses in domain names with kanji use forms humans can’t read, and certain browsers then translate those into human readable form when the display them. BBS and e-mail software by and large doesn’t seem to be able to do that (yet).

Does that mean it’s also in the standard green tea, coffee and those small little yogurt drinks the kids love?

It seems a bit of a stretch to draw any comparison whatsoever with the melamine scandal on the mainland. Where is the massive government cover up? Have victims been put in the clink for speaking up? Taiwan’s regulatory efficiency can be a total joke when compared to that of first world countries, but this case seems to be being handled a lot more like cases in North America or Europe than those in mainland China.

Does that mean it’s also in the standard green tea, coffee and those small little yogurt drinks the kids love?[/quote]

Depends. What brand?

Does that mean it’s also in the standard green tea, coffee and those small little yogurt drinks the kids love?[/quote]

I don’t know. But I did some googling on the little yogurt-like drink (are you talking about the kind that comes with some biandangs, pictured here?), and if we’re talking about the same one, it’s called Yakult in Japan, where it originated. Here I think it’s called 養樂多, and maybe nicknamed 多多 (I never knew any of this until today, and I don’t know Chinese, so I could very well be wrong).

I pasted 養樂多 in the “Find” box for the two PDFs that Icon linked to, and I didn’t get anything, so [color=#FF0000]as far as I know[/color], the little Yakult or 養樂多 drinks [color=#FF0000]have not[/color] been named yet.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Problem is cross-contamination or use of same basic ingredients in the same factory, for instance, if they are made in any of the ones that have “problems”.

So, maybe having a duo-duo is OK, but going to a drink stand and ordering a passion fruit duo-duo is not. Green tea should be OK, me thinks.

Oh, my delicious passion fruit green tea, I will not see you for quit a while.

I don’t know. But I did some googling on the little yogurt-like drink (are you talking about the kind that comes with some biandangs, pictured here?), and if we’re talking about the same one, it’s called Yakult in Japan, where it originated. Here I think it’s called 養樂多, and maybe nicknamed 多多 (I never knew any of this until today, and I don’t know Chinese, so I could very well be wrong).

I pasted 養樂多 in the “Find” box for the two PDFs that Icon linked to, and I didn’t get anything, so [color=#FF0000]as far as I know[/color], the little Yakult or 養樂多 drinks [color=#FF0000]have not[/color] been named yet.[/quote]
Yep…those are the ones I’m talking about. My son drinks that sometimes.

Also

See above. And any green tea and coffee at 7-11 or any old regular tea shop like Red Sun Tea etc. I like their 綠茶 and 多多綠…

You know what really gets me about this situation?

(I know, you’re just DYING to know.)

The person of uncertain parentage responsible for this problem says that he’s been selling this stuff for decades, knew that it was illegal, and doesn’t feel guilty at all.

Here’s the link to the article:

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/a/110524/2/2s2ll.html

http://udn.com/NEWS/NATIONAL/NATS2/6357770.shtml

Completely and utterly maddening. :taz: :grrr: :rant:

I pasted 養樂多 in the “Find” box for the two PDFs that Icon linked to, and I didn’t get anything, so [color=#FF0000]as far as I know[/color], the little Yakult or 養樂多 drinks [color=#FF0000]have not[/color] been named yet.[/quote]
Yep…those are the ones I’m talking about. My son drinks that sometimes.[/quote]

Man, I’m so unobservant.

I’m eating a biandang now from the place where I usually buy them, and I notice that the brand name on the yogurt-like drink that comes with the biandang is 可可多 (see linked picture), a different brand from the one I mentioned and linked to in the quote above.

The reason I’m bringing this up is that I don’t know how many different yogurt- or yogurt-like drinks are out there, and until today they were all the same to me (I mean the ones that come in the little bottles).

Did he actually say that in person to investigators, or did they find it in a company memorandum, or what? I can’t tell from looking at Google Translate. I also can’t figure out (using Google Translate) the quote about Southeast Asia.

Ah, i feel reminded of people who run factories that make bombs, ammunition, and such…

Ah, i feel reminded of people who run factories that make bombs, ammunition, and such…[/quote]

Well, at least you know what they are. They’re not dressing them up as fruit drinks.

And, please, let’s keep this on topic. The International Politics thread is elsewhere.