Delayed departure after expiry of ARC

I would like to know if it would be possible for an extention to stay (for a period of around 1 week) in taiwan after the expiry of ARC. This having already booked the flight on the day I propose to leave.

Example : The ARC expires on 20th and I already book a flight out of the country on 27th.

Thanks in advance.

You get 14 days after your job finishes. I assume your work permit determines the length of your ARC, so it should be no problem getting a 2-week extension at the FAP.

Thank you for the quick reply.

maybe things have changed, but when my ARC expired a few years ago i tried to get an extension at the FAP becuase i couldn’t get a flight until a few days afterwards. they wouldn’t extend it and told me i’d have to overstay and pay a fine when getting stamped out.

So this means, when leaving Taiwan in the time period of this 2-week extension, one is not overstaying? And can re-enter Taiwan with a landing visa?

Also, when your employer cancels your work permit, you have to go to the FAP yourself to cancel your ARC and ask for this 2-week extension? Is this correct info?

I asked permission once (in advance) and got a one-month extension because I already had paperwork submitted for a new ARC. This might not work for you.

Another time, I asked the police if I could leave 1-2 days after the expiry and they said ok.

Just FYI.

Thanks for the quick reply.
However, I cannot renew my ARC since I am looking for a new job and am not studying here. If I overstay, I cannot enter Taiwan with a landing visa and this for the period of one year.
That is why I want to make sure what that extend of 2 weeks after you cancel the ARC means.

I found the answer on my previous question myself, but would like to share it in case somebody can use it.

If you quit your job, your employer has to cancel your work permit within 3 days following your last working day.
Then you have to go to the Foreign Affairs Police Section (At Police Headquaters) to cancel your ARC.
The police will cancel your ARC, cancel your re-entry permit, but he will put a stamp in your passport which allows you to stay legal in Taiwan for another 7 days. Probably, if you smile nice to the officer and ask for a few days more, he will give you that extra time.
Things to bring to the Police Haedquarters:

• Passport
  • ARC
  • A letter of your employer with the date of your last working day!

[quote=“taitai wan”]I found the answer on my previous question myself, but would like to share it in case somebody can use it.

If you quit your job, your employer has to cancel your work permit within 3 days following your last working day.
Then you have to go to the Foreign Affairs Police Section (At Police Headquaters) to cancel your ARC.
The police will cancel your ARC, cancel your re-entry permit, but he will put a stamp in your passport which allows you to stay legal in Taiwan for another 7 days. Probably, if you smile nice to the officer and ask for a few days more, he will give you that extra time.

• Passport
  • ARC
  • A letter of your employer with the date of your last working day![/quote]

good info!

in the past there have been previous inquiries as to whether or not an employer can cancel a person’s ARC without telling them… with the above information it seems as though it’s not possible to do that, esp. if you need to bring the arc, your passport with the work permit, and a letter to the police station. if one doesn’t bring the latter, can it be assumed that ARC’s can’t be cancelled without notifying the employer?

now off topic, i know, so maybe this question should be split into a different thread…

[quote=“bushibanned”][quote=“taitai wan”]I found the answer on my previous question myself, but would like to share it in case somebody can use it.

• Passport
  • ARC
  • A letter of your employer with the date of your last working day![/quote]

good info!

in the past there have been previous inquiries as to whether or not an employer can cancel a person’s ARC without telling them… with the above information it seems as though it’s not possible to do that, esp. if you need to bring the arc, your passport with the work permit, and a letter to the police station. if one doesn’t bring the latter, can it be assumed that ARC’s can’t be cancelled without notifying the employer?

now off topic, I know, so maybe this question should be split into a different thread…[/quote]

bushibanned,

I didn’t bring my work permit with me.
What I brought with me was my passport with inside the RE ENTRY permit. ( I don’t want to split hairs, just want to make things clear) :slight_smile:
I am pretty sure, understanding from all the phone calls I made, that your employer (a company) can send a letter declaring you don’t work for said employer anymore to the MOFA. Then MOFA will pass this info to the police headquarters, so they can cancel your ARC with computer.
So , IMO, a company can cancel an employee’s ARC without (or too late) telling said employee.
cheers

sorry… meant re-entry permit… but guess it doesn’t matter… thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Your ARC can be cancelled by your employer without your knowledge that this has occured. While I don’t know if the employer can actually cancel the ARC itself, they most certainly can cause for the ARC to become invalid. By cancelling your work permit, your resident visa becomes voided. Without a resident visa you can’t have an ARC.

If you were to go to the FAP after your work permit and resident visa had been cancelled then they will know on their computer that your ARC is now invalid. This very thing happened to me a few years back.

I am confident that you could cancel your own ARC without notifying your employer.

“So this means, when leaving Taiwan in the time period of this 2-week extension, one is not overstaying? And can re-enter Taiwan with a landing visa?”

Well I’m in this black hole now… Any ideas?

1. Left job
  2. Employer notified CLA
  3. I leave Taiwan a few days later
  4. While away, CLA sends letter to ex-employer saying I have 14 days to leave.
  5. 12 days after leaving Taiwan and about 7 days after receipt of the CLA letter, I arrive again expecting a landing visa.

Immigration at CKS are not aware of anything being cancelled. I show them the letter from CLA to my employer (which was faxed to me) - which proves my work permit has been cancelled. They say because the re-entry permit is still valid, they cannot give me a landing visa - even though they accept I no longer work in Taiwan. I have an onward flight ticket out of Taiwan within 30 days - but they can do nothing. 4 officers all looking at it. They said they don’t have the power to cancel the re-entry permit. I was with a Chinese speaker - it wasn’t a language problem.

If they gave me a landing visa - no problem - I get 30 days. But now it seems I’ve only got a few days - I cannot stay long enough to use my onward flight ticket and might have to leave again unless I can bring forward the ticket.

As I understand it, the police are supposed to send me a letter - but its unclear to me if the deadline will be any later than that quoted by the CLA to my ex-employer. And if they saw that I already left, perhaps they wouldn’t bother!

In the absence of anything definitive from someone else, my advice to anyone reading this thread is don’t come back before you’re beyond the deadline. In my case I wasn’t doing a visa run - its a genuine stopover on the way to somewhere else. I left my job, left Taiwan and am just revisiting here for 10 days on the way to somewhere else.