Delayed start of the new semester in Taiwan (but summer vacation two weeks shorter)?

As if I weren’t jealous enough of all my teacher friends for their three week vacation :unamused:

Spend an hour with the rugrats, the dripping nose wet fingers little Napoleons, and you will not. Them teachers deserve every penny and any extra vacation rest time.

4 Likes

Some private schools are still opening.

Which ones?
Source?

Mine. We already had students last week.
They’re now going to look over the law and decide tomorrow.
Another private high school in taichung is opening as well. Source. My friend got an email from the boss

And that is?

I’m not comfortable sharing that info. But I assure you, as of now, some schools are going to open.
There’s some confusion whether it covers Sr high.
Our school isn’t covered by the MOE, so we’ll see for sure tomorrow. But they think they can open.

3 Likes

Taipei American school and hsinchu American school are scheduled to open on Feb 6th
It’s posted on their FB page

Well those are international schools a bit out of the reach of the MOE. They have always had different schedules from the MOE.

Mine is as well. It seems after talking to a couple people, there will be meetings tomorrow about what to do at a few schools. you Optics are important. No one school wanted to open alone. If a group decides, it won’t look so bad. That’s what I gather is happening now

Also buxiban teachers say they’re open

1 Like

Heard from our kids’ school (a local one) at 8pm there would be no winter school tomorrow, and semester starting 2 weeks later as per thread. They really couldn’t have left it any later to call it…

1 Like

北市明天開始是國中小的寒假輔導課,今天中央才公布,今天宣布馬上停止的話,將造成家長安置上的困難,所以課輔部分北市明天將統一規定因應。

I don’t understand, schools out but folks have to work still. Do we just do this old skool, chain the littlies to a pole or something?

Is the decision based on science or just FUD?

They’ll just use the same arrangement they did for the rest of the winter vacation (or summer vacation for that matter)

Some schools offer 寒假 care as above in tando’s post. This has been cancelled too. So for some of us that arrangement is kaput.

1 Like

In the official Taiwan CDC report they cancelled 國高中一下, senior high school on down.

Isn’t it a bit stupid that they close schools and universities, but buxibans and kindergartens are allowed to remain open? Kinda defeats the purpose of containment. Sounds cosmetic. Much like paper masks.

10 Likes

I just had the same discussion with my better half!

Stupid, really.

Students can’t go to public school, so parents dump them into bushibans all day instead!

I can hear the bushiban owners rubbing their hands together thinking about all the new income they will make!

9 Likes

Yep. It’s all business and politics. Not alienating the voting parents who have to go to work. Public schools and universities aren’t going to lose money, because fees have already been paid, or will be once they reopen.
It’s different for the buxibans and kindys that operate on a daily payment basis.

1 Like

So they still haven’t figured out what they are going to do about winter school… oh dear.

1 Like