Delete

delete

Dude how long have you lived in Taiwan to ask a silly question like ‘Is this legal or not’ ? :laughing:
But to answer your question if you are married you can run almost any business you like, including running a food stall at a night market.

delete

You have an open work permit, so no worries. They won’t kick you out.

I would not know about legality vis a vis night markets, however if i were you I would ask around at the local night market, or the target one.

A friend runs a booth at a night market in Kaohsiung. If I remember correctly, he pays about NT$8000 per month and he had to put a three months deposit + first month to get his booth. He’s not married and he doesn’t even have an ARC. He’s been doing the visa runs for 4 years now. He usually does his visa runs in Thailand because that’s where he buys his merchandise. He removes all the price tags from everything and passes customs with no problems claiming the clothes as his own clothes, and he re-attaches the tags once he’s back in Taiwan. He sells knock-off Nike clothing and the like. And that is all I know.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]A friend runs a booth at a night market in Kaohsiung. If I remember correctly, he pays about NT$8000 per month and he had to put a three months deposit + first month to get his booth. He’s not married and he doesn’t even have an ARC. He’s been doing the visa runs for 4 years now. He usually does his visa runs in Thailand because that’s where he buys his merchandise. He removes all the price tags from everything and passes customs with no problems claiming the clothes as his own clothes, and he re-attaches the tags once he’s back in Taiwan. He sells knock-off Nike clothing and the like. And that is all I know.

marboulette[/quote]

It’s like selling ice-cream to eskimoes…

Are there actually ‘legal’ night markets except for the big ones … like shilin and snake alley … and then, how many of the stands would be legal, like having a license?

Most night markets are run and divided up by local gangs … I believe … :ohreally:

Is it an issue that they are gangster run?

If you pay them, and they keep the place running OK, and the police and sanitation people at bay, what do you have to complain about?

It will at the very least sort any issues regarding the legality of the business venture.

delete

Stainless steel booth the size of a tea booth. About NT$15000 second-hand in top condition. 20 to 25k brand new. Pretty small investment, really.

marboulette

A friend has a bakery stand in front of a drugstore in Banciao Night Market. Since the stand is outside the drugstore, they don’t need a license because the drugstore business license is very broad. They are charged 500 NT per day for the use of the space. I also concur with the costs of the stand as mentioned before. Used ones are pretty easy to find but filling your exact needs might be a problem. Also, some stores want you to move the stand if it is not open so nearby storage becomes a problem. Make sure you have access to electricity both at the sales location and at storage. Sounds like you might need some refridgeration.

Looked into this idea myself, a little bit. Be careful in the asking around in the night market–some venders will NOT like the idea of another competitor moving in. There is usually some ‘boss’ or land owner to talk to about renting space. Selling food, you will need access to refridgeration/electricity. Good luck! A successful vending stand makes about 3-5 hundred grand a month, I think.

Makes sense. If you only sell 10k per day, that’s 300k per month. Selling hot dogs, as an example, your food cost would be about 25%. Do the math, it’s good money. Of course you’d have to work 7 days a week, but make it 5 days and it’s still darn good coins, and you don’t have to teach. I’d do it. Suffice to have the right product because as a foreigner, your marketing is a lot easier. A white face selling hot dogs would sell a lot of hot dogs, methinks.

marboulette

[quote=“marboulette”]A white face selling hot dogs would sell a lot of hot dogs, methinks.

marboulette[/quote]

Yes, but you really must consider all the aspects of that dynamic. I remember a white guy who opened a drink stand on a nice bussy corner in Taipei, making, he (reportedly) said more than 300 G’s a month, who was constantly harrassed by his Taiwanese competition. He didn’t have the open work permit, (I think the guy was single and doing visa runs every month or two, and I also think it was before the open permits were available). Anyway, he was eventually deported.

Ideally, you need to be doing something/providing something that they cannot. Foreigner food that they would not innitially know how to make, but that would appeal to many Taiwanese, would be good.

My boyfriend had an idea for this…

Obviously, the problem is the legalities of having a new food stand in the night markets and following the unspoken rule or whatever we have to do to get a spot, AND something a family friend in Taiwan told us; he is saying that most night market stands are struggling from the economy as well, he suggests putting that idea on the back burner for now.

Any opinions on this?

And, wow, so not only do we have to possibly practice the run and hide technique, pay for a spot at legitimate night markets, OR go through the gangs?!?! :frowning:

Go to any popular night market area like ShiDa, still doing great.

I’ve been considering this option for some time. Sure it’s hard work, but you dont have to attend to it every day. Simply make the initial investment and hire someone to run the stall. Sure, you profit will be less, but you can sit at home, drink beer, play your Xbox360, well, generally, NOT WORK! After a few months of reserving 20% of your profit, buy another stall and set it up somewhere different. Again, hire a lackey to run it. Same process again, until you have 5 or so stalls. Sitting pretty in your air-conditioned apartment instead of braving the Taiwan humidity for 7 days a week. Make sure you have a niche, though.

And make sure that the lackeys missed one crucial ingredient in your success mix, or it would go:

… And the “lackeys” ripps off your idea, open their own stalls, and you don’t make a cent. That’s the standard mote of operation here, especially when it comes to new night market ideas.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“jimipresley”]

… And the “lackeys” ripps off your idea, open their own stalls, and you don’t make a cent. That’s the standard mote of operation here, especially when it comes to new night market ideas.[/quote][/quote]
Come on, Mr Mr He. You hire THICK lackeys. As long as they can work out the change for your “hot dogs”.