Democracy is a choice between piss and shit

The 5 % rule for party seats is holding the place back and not giving enough options for coalitions and also younger voters. I think this is the biggest problem.

1 Like

Those eyelids look painful. I have no idea why people here mutilate themselves in such a way. Just looks fake.

1 Like

There’s never a such thing as good people in politics, it’s one of those things where only the most ruthless, self serving people, ever gets ahead.

3 Likes

You talk about people who have a job as if they’re selfish and ruthless to.

Are the only good people in the world those doing nothing?

Politicians aren’t most people’s favourite people but that doesn’t mean they’re all bad. The point of democracies is to have people with different opinions to choose from. You’re not not supposed to agree with them all.

1 Like

True that! I second this.

1 Like

Every small country has this problem. That’s why there are strategic alliances.

Like Latvia, they are not contemplating joining the US or Russia, do they?

3 Likes

Latvia is part of the EU, and the Schengen zone, so they do not stand alone. Any EU citizen is free to move there. In fact the whole point of the EU is because self reliance sucks, and that they are better off working as a bloc.

Go look at Albania if you want to know what self reliance looks like… it’s not good.

Taiwan needs to be part of a bloc if it wants to maintain their prosperity. Either as China, or as a pact between various Pacific nations (with no trade barrier between them), or something.

I know politicians. My uncle is a retired politician, lost his power when the national assembly dissolved (casualty of Taiwan becoming democratic). I don’t really believe much of what he says though he seems to take care of me whenever he can… maybe it’s a political move on his part.

1 Like

I thought he was a gangster? Or are they the same thing?

Old KMT government pretty much were hugely connected with gangster. Almost zero difference sometimes.

That’s how they were able to hire gangster to go to the US and assassinate someone, which caused a huge international incident…

You can bet a lot of higher level politicians all have connections with gangster, probably doesn’t matter what party they belong to. But then you have to realize that gangster in Taiwan isn’t like the states… they’re gangster but often they are businessmen.

2 Likes

Crime is crime, regardless of the job title.

2 Likes

Democracy is the right of the majority to tell the minority what to do. However, the outliers at each end of the intelligence bell curve tend to cancel each other out. A democracy with a bill of rights is the best system to date in my opinion.

2 Likes

Who are you, with your cynical views, to trash everyone involved in the political arena?

What exactly have you done in your learning and your studies to justify your view-of-god over such a large number of people?

There is no rule on this site against posting huge piles of horsesh&t, but there is also no rule against calling such posted views what they are: complete horsesh&t.

Guy

7 Likes

But that’s cancel culture! :astonished: :whistle:

TL : 1

Others:

1 Like

How do you consider disagreement to be cancel culture?

I was referring to TL’s previous comment that democracies are similar to dictatorships because of cancel culture, i.e. that if one voices an opinion in a democracy which is not “allowed” that one will be cancelled.

So mockingly, in this instance afterspivak “canceled” TL by calling him out.

2 Likes

Democracy is really good, warts and all. It amazes me that a tribal species managed to pull it off. Any alternative is a historical failure in every way. Democratic countries always prosper over time. I appreciate that some people feel like democracy has failed them, but they’d be much worse off in any other political system.

5 Likes

You still need a bill of rights that’s followed to the letter if you want democracy to work, not have it diluted and eliminated gradually by Congress.

As opposed to no democracy and the bill of rigths and the constitution is diluted by a dictator on day one?

No one claims any democracy is perfect. But if you use any metric other than oppression you must admit democracy is so far the best (on record) form of collective agreement and cohabitation. Do you have a better example?

Note: most people aren’t cool with living like ants or bees. So, china sucks.

2 Likes