Demographics Taiwan (How Many of What Kind of Foreign Residents)

Some of the numbers posted in the link above do not pass the sniff test. I have more Macau students in one of my university classes than apparently are in all of Taiwan!

Guy

Yes, thereā€™s something funny about that Macau number. Considering how close it is to Taiwan, that doesnā€™t make any sense. Could they be here studying but not residents?

Actually, yeah, now that I look at it, thereā€™s some pretty hinky shit going on there.

One Barbadian??
One Albanian and 27 Croatians???

The numbers are low. Probably only takes in residents and not people here on student visas and such. Each countries embassies or the equivalent should have a better number of their citizens.

there are special regulations for HK and Macau people and students.

yeah, only people on usual ARC.

You can check how many foreign, hk/macau, overseas taiwanese students are in each university here.
https://ois.moe.gov.tw/WEB/fs/html/StatisticSearchD.html

Interestingly no foreigners living in Matsu, except for what I guess are foreign workers from SE Asia. Are there restrictions for other foreigners or is there simply no interest in living there, I wonder.

Or the chart is full of shit, pretty sure there are a few foreigners living on Matsu

It just shows from the hukou in a lot of cases.
So it had me as the only countryman in Miaoli for years even though I have never lived there long term.
When I finally moved my hukou we went extinct in Miaoli.
They donā€™t get my tax now either .

Good. Thatā€™s one of the most corrupt fiefdoms in Taiwanā€“despite some heavy competition!

Guy

1 Like

Welcome the Uzbeks! Let this become a center for Chinese subversion.

Looks like foreigners have increased across the board (SE Asian, altaic-speaking peoples, whites).

This is good for Taiwan.

WTF. If thereā€™s only one Irishman in town they should suppress that number and only publish national totals. Otherwise, you could be outed.