Dengue Fever

First case has reached as far north as Taoyuan.

A lot of cases reported in the Philippines recently

A lot of cases reported in the Philippines recently in the press …sorry double post .

Many cases in the, ah, Phillipines.

600 deaths already this year.

this is true, whatever area with standing water is where they reproduce

Well, they told us we have to throw the water out of our acuatic plants because of dengue. :frowning_face:

Put tiny fish in the water, that is what many people do. They eat the bugs.

You want me to kill the fish, too?!

I second that. Try the Siamese Fighting fish, specially a female one. You don’t need to air the water for it and, if the aquarium is big enough, you don’t even need to filter it. Just buy the fish and some food.
They are carnivorous and will keep your aquarium free of bugs.
You can try a male too, but they are very eye-catching and will take the attention from the plant, which is the primary reason you’re buying it.

Another option is to place an air pump there. The mosquito likes stagnant water and won’t be able to place their eggs there.

2 Likes

IMG_20190819_104501 I live near Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT and yesterday morning saw group of cleaners fully protected cleaning streets and small alleys and there was guy in suit with them. Found bit weird but what do I know… Today morning noise on street, police together with team of people spraying streets, local shops open for them to spray inside. They spray entrance of our building, stairs and whole rooftop. Seems there was discovered dengue fever in neighborhood

1 Like

Radio news this morning said they found one Dengue case in Daan district and that the person had been traveling in South Taiwan so they’re not sure where it came from. And they are cleaning n spraying the area.

Nice to see that the Taiwan government tries to stay on top of it and even get ahead of it.

749 cases so far this year and 1 death.

1 Like

First case Taipei in 3 years.

1 Like

It’s in Xindian now, @Icon :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

新北本土登革熱+1 住新店有台南市旅遊史 - 生活 - 自由時報電子報 (ltn.com.tw)

Old news.

You should see the nasty tiny black mosquitos we get in Xindian. Each bite is like a stab with a broken glass bottle.

:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream::runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

And dengue I can take. A few months ago there was a case of cholera of all things, down South if I recall correctly. Now that’s worrying.

My neighborhood in Xinyi seems to be full of rats. I saw one going inside a open restaurant at day light, and I heard people complaining too.

Over 4,000 now:

During the week the total number of local dengue fever cases rose to 4,338, of which Tainan has recorded 3,788 cases (87.3 percent), Yunlin County 302 and Kaohsiung 157.

“According to the CDC, all three deaths were males aged 60-90 with underlying chronic illness who died within a week of being hospitalized.”

So did they die because of Dengue fever or underlying chronic illness?

1 Like