Dengue Fever

We should make the mosquitoes wear masks.

and stick them with a needle, see how they like it :syringe:

And make them swipe into restaurants and convenient stores.

1 Like

I wrote convenient on porpoise.

Build a wall!

And another 2000+ cases last week:

So far this year, Taiwan has recorded 6,464 dengue fever cases and nine deaths from the disease, marking the country’s worst outbreak since 2015, when it saw more than 43,000 cases and 228 deaths, CDC data shows.

According to the World Health Organization, most people who get dengue fever don’t develop symptoms. For those who do, the most common symptoms are high fever, headaches, body aches, nausea and rash, which typically clear up within 1-2 weeks.

A small portion of those infected develop severe dengue, which requires hospitalization and can be fatal.

Not looking good this year (especially in Tainan)…

3 Likes

Over 10,000 cases by now this year:

According to CDC figures, 9,463 of the 10,496 local dengue fever cases this year were recorded in Tainan, as Taiwan tackles its most severe outbreak in nearly a decade.
[…]
According to the CDC, three more dengue fever deaths were recorded nationwide over the last week, bringing the total number of fatalities this year from the disease to 15.
[…]
It added that Taiwan has recorded 10, 496 local cases so far this year, the second highest in ten years, just behind 2015, when over 43,000 cases were reported, and that more than half of the country’s administrative areas have reported cases.

1 Like

“outbreak centered almost entirely in Tainan”

Dengue Dragoons, fighting house to house in a domestic environment near you (well me, anyway).

Three days notice, during which I “helped” the GF cover up all the domestic stuff in her bros 4-story house with thin polythene film, (with all the scope for rows and irritation that implies).

Does this defeat the object? Assume not or they wouldn’t let you do it, but in that case is there any point in doing it?

Truck convoy arrived about midday. They missed out, in my view, by not having loudspeakers mounted on the lead Jeep. Could have played “Ride of The Valkyries”.

National Servicemen according to GF. She wanted to stay and “supervise” (in which case my sympathy for the army would have been very great) but they weren’t having that.

Returned that evening to clean up the ground floor a bit, with limited success since the curtains hadn’t been taken down so strong chemical smell persists.

Feel ill today, but have a middle ear infection and have probably caught the GF’s flu, so cant put that down to the chemical (or dengue)

I hope this works, cos its too much hassle if its just a token gesture. We didn’t have any actively biting mosquitoes, and hadn’t seen any resting ones.

Seems to take 5-10 days for symptoms to show, from a bite, which would be plenty of time for the carrier mossie to bugger off out of the treated zone, but perhaps when heavy with blood they hang around forming eggs.

1 Like

Let us know if they start spraying the beaches. They love to disinfect beaches here.

2 Likes

Surprised this hasn’t been in the news more. Apparently, dengue fever is Chiayi area is bad enough where they are making it mandatory for the inside if your house to be sprayed. Refusal is not an option.

1 Like

In my neck of the woods they put up a paper in the elevator saying that in the immediate neighborhood cases were abnormally high. And it’s not in Taiwan but NTC.