Dennis Quaid, on a sled, in New Hampshire

Holy batcrap! That’s a whole ROTTA snow!

wral.com/weather/5120963/det … tionalnews

[quote]N.H. Peak Hammered By Major Snow Storm

POSTED: 10:07 pm EDT October 18, 2005
UPDATED: 10:13 pm EDT October 18, 2005

MOUNT WASHINGTON, N.H. – Those looking for fall foliage in New England should probably go somewhere other than the top of Mount Washington.

The tallest peak in the Northeast has been covered with snow after 34 inches fell between Saturday and Monday – the most snowfall ever from a single October storm.

One weather observer said the conditions at the summit look more like January or February because of 12-foot snow drifts and lots of ice.

Observers are confident the summit will beat the record for overall October snowfall of 39.8 inches.[/quote]

BTW…“Hammered” by snow??? :loco:

I can’t find anything to do with Denis Quaid. :help:

That’s one shitload of snow. Even for peak season.

Day After Tomorrow reference :wink:

program
get with it. :slight_smile:

BTW, I just did a search on DQ: imdb.com/name/nm0000598/

he’s been in some real loooooser movies! yeesh. He’s no Kevin Bacon.

That is a lot of snow, but I don’t find it surprising. Jdsmith, you’re a newenglander, right? Have you been to the top of Mt. Washington? I have. My family climbed it when I was a kid (in the summer of course). It was a great experience, very beautiful, though it was disappointing climbing up through the forest, along the ridge enjoying the wilderness, only to encounter all the fatties who drove up or rode up on the train.

As for the snow, Mt Washington for some reason, as I recall, has some of the coldest temperatures and strongest winds in New England. It’s not really very tall (at least compared to high peaks in CO, CA, etc., though maybe it is by NE standards), but for some reason it gets buffetted with bad weather, and I believe lots of people have died of exposure there, right? Isn’t it a popular spot for skiing, ice-climbing and winter mountaineering?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]That is a lot of snow, but I don’t find it surprising. Jdsmith, you’re a newenglander, right? Have you been to the top of Mt. Washington? I have. My family climbed it when I was a kid (in the summer of course). It was a great experience, very beautiful, though it was disappointing climbing up through the forest, along the ridge enjoying the wilderness, only to encounter all the fatties who drove up or rode up on the train.

As for the snow, Mt Washington for some reason, as I recall, has some of the coldest temperatures and strongest winds in New England. It’s not really very tall (at least compared to high peaks in CO, CA, etc., though maybe it is by NE standards), but for some reason it gets buffetted with bad weather, and I believe lots of people have died of exposure there, right? Isn’t it a popular spot for skiing, ice-climbing and winter mountaineering?[/quote]

I’m not really a New Englander, but close enougher. I’ve done a lot of climbing in the region, and lots of winter climbing. It’s not underheard of to have a heavy snowfall on top of one of these eastern hills, but in OCTOBER??? That’s the shocker.

Reason #1 of why I chose Taiwan over Russia. I’m wearing a tee-shirt, capris, and sandals whereas back home, I’d be too busy freezing my butt off to even consider such clothes. It is now 7 degrees C (44 degrees F) in my hometown…and that’s with the sun up!

39.5 inches is a lot of snow, but in the White mtns the diehards can get “first tracks” with their rock skis by the first week of October most years.

[quote]Mount Washington is the highest mountain in the northeast . . .The highest surface wind ever recorded on earth was on the summit of Mt Washington, 231 MPH on April 12, 1934. . . It is known for having the worst weather in the world, especially bad in the winter. . .

Elevation: 6,288 feet
Highest wind (world record, April 12, 1934): 231 MPH
Lowest temperature (state record, January 1934): -47

Snow is great. That’s one thing I miss about being here. At least some snow. Especially with having kids and the whole Christmas deal. Though I used to hate having to shovel the driweway clean a couple of times a day, I miss that angle now. The outdoors in all it’s grisly fickleness, it’s a great forum for the youngsters…

39.5 inches is an insane amount of snow. In October it’s just… even more insane.

Snow is good for skiing, snowmobiling, cancelling school/work, staying inside. Other than that, it sucks ass.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]39.5 inches is an insane amount of snow. In October it’s just… even more insane.

Snow is good for skiing, snowmobiling, cancelling school/work, staying inside. Other than that, it sucks ass.[/quote]

What about snowballs, black ice, slush balls, snow forts, snow men, Pissing in the show, and those pick up winter hockey games on a river or a pond…

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“j99l88e77”]39.5 inches is an insane amount of snow. In October it’s just… even more insane.

Snow is good for skiing, snowmobiling, cancelling school/work, staying inside. Other than that, it sucks ass.[/quote]

What about snowballs, black ice, slush balls, snow forts, snow men, Pissing in the show, and those pick up winter hockey games on a river or a pond…[/quote]

Don’t need snow for that, but I guess it usually comes with the picture (and it comes in handy for sitting down to tie your skates). I don’t do any of those things anymore though.

Black ice? Why’s that good?

I know all too much about snow. I’m an expert driver in it. I drove a whole winter in a little Toyota with no treads on my tires (and no insurance). In New Brunswick.

Shoveling SUCKS!

I’m with Gingerman:
I’ve been two winters without snow now, and I’m starting to miss it. G-man: what about going to the K-mart parking lot after a snowstorm and doing donuts, or driving fast in a straight line and throwing on the e-brake to make the car spin?

Didn’t you think Dennis Quaid looked old in The Day After Tomorrow!
No wonder Meg went off with that kiwi jerk.