Dentist using javelle water?!

My boyfriend just called me in total shock: He went for a root treatment to a dentist in the Taipei Medical College Hospital 台北醫學院. When cleaning his wound, the dentist shot javelle water into his mouth :noway: :noway:

That does not sound right to me. I’ve never heard of javelle water being used by dentist and I doubt it’s healthy to have it put in your mouth. Javelle water is for cleaning floors and bleaching white shirts, but that’s about it!! Or not?

This is the best I could find on javelle water.
It does say that it can be used as a disinfectant, but it could be a household disinfectant.

64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:tr … unds&hl=en

I know what javelle water is and as far as I know it is ONLY used as household disinfectant or for bleaching, but NOT by dentists…

This sounds very unhealthy to me… :help:

In a pinch, urine can be used as it has astringent qualities as well.

It can also partially block mustard gas if you soak a tissue in it and place it over your nose/mouth.

Gotta love that can do/ch bu duo spirit in the medical community here!

Bring back urine & bloodletting.

[quote=“mesheel”]I know what javelle water is and as far as I know it is ONLY used as household disinfectant or for bleaching, but NOT by dentists…

This sounds very unhealthy to me… :help:[/quote]
Maybe it’s just a “translation error” and it wasn’t really javelle water the dentist used!?

I’d never heard of the stuff, but I found this which might be reassuring:

[quote]Introduction
The use of sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) as an anti-septic began by the end of 18th century, with the water of JAVELLE (1792), a solution containing sodium and potassium hypochlorite, according to PUCCI9. This author also relates that Labaraque

Here we go, I just had a loooong talk with a former dental assistant.

H 2 O 2 hydrogen peroxide is what they used in Europe as a disinfectant ages ago and that might be what they call here 漂白水. Can anybody confirm that?

Ask him if he foamed at the mouth like a mad dog.

Dilutions of H202 - Hydrogen Peroxide have long been used as anti-bacterial agents in wounds and also other things.

Dilutions of H2O2 is also used to introduce additional oxygen into the human system for healing and/or therapuetic effects in a number of health issues. Some people actually soak in dilutions of H2O2. Quite a cottage industry in the realms of the “Alternative Health” field.

H2O2 is called “shuang yang shui” or something here. It’s definitely got “shuang” in it for “double”.

I know a place where people dressed up as dentists tie you down and pee in your mouth, but I think I’ll save that for another thread.