Departing

You’re absolutely right. I need the name of this school so I will avoid it.

Is it listed on the Schools Blacklist thread?

To get to Toronto: EVA used to fly nonstop, so I’d check to see if they can get you there.

Thankfully it’s now possible again to transit in Hong Kong International Airport, so you might also see if Cathay Pacific can get you there.

Air Canada—which has suspended its Taipei-Vancouver route, and which has never attempted Taipei-Toronto—has received a lot of bad press lately for accepting bookings, then cancelling the flight, and then not refunding the money they collected, just providing vouchers for future travel. Under these circumstances, you might want to avoid them if you can.

Good luck man! These are rough times, and I hope you can sort things out.

Guy

1 Like

But keep in mind you will need to quarantine in the first city you arrive in. So that means to transiting through Vancouver.

If you are really set on leaving just wait 2-3 weeks until Canada lifts the quarantine-on-arrival requirements. That will make life so much easier.

1 Like

My point is that EVA and Cathay Pacific have run (not sure if they are still running) direct flights into Toronto; no stop in Vancouver, thus greatly simplifying things for the Toronto-based original poster.

Whoah! Do you have a source for this? If so, I’d really like to know about it. Thanks.

Guy

1 Like

If I go back to Canada it will be in more than 3 weeks after now.

They’re planning to lift the QOA requirements?
I’m callin the MP tonight. This is insane.

2 Likes

We’re waiting for ET to provide a source. Or a retraction. : D

Guy

1 Like

My god. Management behaviour can’t be that universal here. Can it. Surely not.

I just thought I found a bad place and my first school here. Maybe I could look at moving back home.

I won’t give up hope. I found out that I might get another chance here in Taiwan,
so I will keep my head up high.

1 Like

These are strange times. Stay level-headed and be kind to yourself!

Guy

3 Likes

I feel incompetent management seems to be a universal trait.

3 Likes

It might be. But different cultures handle it differently. In other countries you can speak up here you can’t say a word. .

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: From departing

There are all kinds of toxic corporate culture in every country, USA included. You can speak up but then you have to accept the consequences, that could include getting fired for nothing.

4 Likes

From my experience that’s not entirely true. Yes the toxic work culture exists universally. Most businesses will stop at nothing to get rid of anything that stops the business making money. Including bad management practices.

Man, I hope he knows what he’s talking about.

We were supposed to move to Canada this summer (actually in April but that got cancelled). Our cut-off date now is the first week of July. If the mandatory quarantine is lifted, we’re going. If not, we’re staying here for another year.

1 Like

It will coincide with the re-opening of the US border. Lots of pressure from both sides to open things up. Is it a good idea? No.

1 Like

Has he managed to score an ARC that isn’t employer sponsored yet?

I think my life here is much better despite of earthquake; rains and overall I was blessed and share it with my family back home.

No. But there’s a good reason why not. Unfortunately I am not at liberty to disclose the reason. Suffice to say top level spy shit.

2 Likes