Dependant Visa Taiwan

Hi everyone. I’m new to this site. I am thinking of moving to Taiwan to teach ( TEFL). I’m married and would only do this if my wife could come with me. From what I understand she can come on a dependant visa. How difficult would it be for her to have her dependant visa changed to a work visa? She is Italian and speaks intermediate Mandarin and fluent English and hopes to find work there in the teaching field or in another one. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did it turn out?

Thanks everyone

If she’s interested in teaching, then teaching English is the easiest route … if she also has a passport from what Taiwan deems an English-speaking country (e.g., the United States, Britain, Ireland, Canada…).

AFAIK, in order to work in a private English language school (buxiban) one must have a passport from an English-speaking country, as cranky laowai said. If she speaks Italian, perhaps she can find an Italian teaching gig?

If your wife has an MA or higher degree, I’ve read on this forum that it’s possible to work in a university, regardless of passport (https://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=113793#p1464361).

Since she will be joining a non-Taiwanese (I assume you’re not Taiwanese), her work options are more limited than if she were coming to join a Taiwanese spouse (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=50881)

[quote=“m.r.sharpei518”]Hi everyone. I’m new to this site. I am thinking of moving to Taiwan to teach ( TEFL). I’m married and would only do this if my wife could come with me. From what I understand she can come on a dependant visa. How difficult would it be for her to have her dependant visa changed to a work visa? She is Italian and speaks intermediate Mandarin and fluent English and hopes to find work there in the teaching field or in another one. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? If so, how did it turn out?

Thanks everyone[/quote]

Search the forums, not a dependent visa, but a “dependent arc”.

Its all there.

Thanks everyone. I’ll search the forums. Yeah she was hoping to find something teaching Italian. I know it isn’t the most in-demand language at the moment, but we’ll keep our fingers crossed.

P.S. And no, I’m not Taiwanese, just to confirm.

There is a visa class called “Foreigner’s foreign spouse” (外國人之外籍配偶), it is visa class SF, which you would apply for by ticking the “Joining or Visiting Family - 依(探)親” box on the visa application form. So once you have that visa, either visitor or resident visa, you should come to Taiwan to apply for the “Dependent ARC” (依親居留證). (If you have the visitor visa, you’ll need to apply for the resident visa from within Taiwan first.)

Greves is it organized so that she would be able to fill it out while she is in Italy and I in the U.S.? She will be in Italy ( she lives there) while I am applying for jobs form the U.S. Given our distance, how should we go about the application process? Would she fill out the Foreigner’s Foreign Spouse visa simultaneously while I am preparing all my documents for an ARC? Would she first come to Tawain on a tourist visa and then fill out all the documents or would it all be done in her home country beforehand?
I know you’re not a visa officer, and I intend to call the consulate here.
Either way, thanks for all the help.

You’ll need an ARC (I think - maybe a resident visa would suffice but you’d have to check) in order for her to become a dependent spouse. As always, I recommend people to come find a job here in Taiwan rather than finding one at home. Especially if you’ve never worked here before, it will be very hard to know what you’re getting into without meeting the people at the school in person and especially talking to some of the other foreigners working there.

Once you’ve got the ARC, your wife will need a copy of it to apply for her resident visa at the consulate.

Thanks Greves, that puts it into perspective. I didn’t know it was better to go there first before finding a job. I only have experience teaching abroad in China and it is the other way around there. Anyway, thanks again.