Deportation not valid if married for one year

In today’s Taipei Times there is an article about Nigerians who have wives and children in Taiwan but are refused re-entry into the country because they overstayed their visas.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003363034

At the bottom of the article there is a paragraph which reads:

“People who overstay their visas are barred from re-entry for set periods of time – unless they have bee married to a Taiwanese for one year or their Taiwanese wives are more than five months pregnant.” (typo’s not mine)

Does this mean that if you get deported for say five years, and you get married right when you leave Taiwan, you just have to wait one year to come back instead of the five?

Also, how did they overstay their visas if they were already married with children in Taiwan in the first place?

Thanks

from what i understand, they overstayed their visas then married. it is possible to marry at the court without having any legal status in taiwan.

i wouldnt take the taipei times as a valid source of information on that matter. the law in chinese doesnt mention anything about how long one has been married to a taiwanese citizen. however it does say that time one was barred from reentering taiwan will always be reduced to 1 year instead x years. i do know that overstayers are immediately allowed to reenter taiwan if their wife is pregnant or has children.

And they didn’t get a new visa because they used fake documents … smart … but hey it’s Nigeria …

Thanks for answering. Does that mean one year after the deportation or one year after you get married? cheers.

sorry, my post wasnt very clear. in short, the law says, if you are married to a taiwanese, you get deported and are barred from entering the country for a year. it doesnt matter if you overstayed for 1 year or 5 years. you’ll be allowed back in after a year. that is, of course, if you havent used forged documents a la nigerian to try to re-enter taiwan :wink:

sorry, my post wasn’t very clear. in short, the law says, if you are married to a Taiwanese, you get deported and are barred from entering the country for a year. it doesnt matter if you overstayed for 1 year or 5 years. you’ll be allowed back in after a year. that is, of course, if you havent used forged documents a la nigerian to try to re-enter taiwan ;-)[/quote]

and likewise if you are deported but get married subsequently you can get back in one year from the date of that marriage…

of course since you would have to get married overseas that could open a whole other can of worms in getting the marriage legalised in taiwan whil you are in absentia…

Interesting stuff. Thank you Lost in TW and Da Bear for the info.

why would that be a problem? your in-laws and wife could take care of that easily… or does registering the overseas marriage in taiwan requires you to be present?

why would that be a problem? your in-laws and wife could take care of that easily… or does registering the overseas marriage in taiwan requires you to be present?[/quote]

might not be a problem…but you always presume these things will be a problem when dealing with bureaucracy…

many years ago i was deported and my girlfriend at the time wanted to get married in hong kong the next day…I decided to heed the old saw “he who marries in haste repents at leisure”…(and here I am still single 10 years later :sunglasses: )