Deportation of Illegal Teachers

There has been some noise about stepping up enforcement of the “foreign” teacher regulations for bushibans and the like . . . however, much of it ground to a halt as the new push for English education in primary and secondary schools was put on hold during the SARS epidemic (the EFL money went to recovery and the like). Since there is a stipulation that the teachers they want to import need to have qualifications there is some talk about booting out the unqualified ones already here (of course, since there is also a desire for the new teachers to have some conversational Mandarin ability, the likelihood of actually finding that many teachers goes way down). I don’t see the VISA runs stopping but it is very likely that the irregular enforcement parades will increase (it’s also a way for bushiban owners to get rid of the folks who have been around for awhile who might begin asking for more pay). Most of the folks I know who have been deported have been caught in the crossfire when a disgruntled student or former worker has reported a school to the police rather than from random checks).

Bingo…there is something that isn’t being said in the deportaition cases. Before I was married, I worked for several years illegally. There were raids, and the police always opened the back door of the school and told me to get out before they had to arrest me. The “teachers” that were arrested and deported were ones who had caused incredible problems (one guy threatened to burn down McDonald’s because his packet of fries was too small, another guy had skipped out on so many schools that he had a hard time getting hired anywhere, a third guy had, justifiably, gotten into a dispute with gangsters).

The ONE TIME my school (that I am the proprietor of) got a visit from the police, it was because we would not give a 50% discount to a parent who had failed to notice the licence on the wall. She went to the Education guys and reported us as an illegal school. The visit was a courtesy call to let us know that she was doing things that could damage our reputation (lying about all sorts of things). As far as a genuine crackdown? I suppose it is possible, although the parents who want their kids to study with foreigners will not be happy. I don’t know what the percentages are now, but in the late 80s, it seemed at 50-70% of teachers were on tourist visas. I would imagine that it is still 30%? Just a guess, tho…

For native English speakers from wealthy countries, teaching illegally here is cake, so long as your remain in your employers’ – and your students’ – good graces. Don’t want to get booted? Don’t give anyone any reason to want you gone. Follow the school’s rules to the letter. Never make a kid cry. Don’t communicate directly with parents, except for a Norman Rockwell style grin and wave. Don’t give kids or parents any reason to complain to the school’s management about you.

Perhaps most importantly, never be late, and challenge yourself to NEVER TAKE A SICK DAY. Succeed in this last condition, and your boss will see you as very reliable, and forgive most other mistakes and shortcomings. The second your boss starts to worry about if and when you’ll show up, that’s when he/she begins to doubt you’re a good worker who’s worth having around.

I have two jobs, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I lied to each place that the other is sponsoring my visa. I have gone one whole semester at each without ever being late or absent. I give my kids a heavy load of entertainment and games, but at the same time I make sure none of them bring home poor test marks to show their parents. Neither of my bosses has EVER asked me to show, much less photocopy, any ID or documents. Neither have ever seen my passport, my invalid old ARC, my college degree, my health papers, or anything. I could go by a fake name and they wouldn’t know. They pay me in cash. I signed a contract, but so far it’s never been discussed or referred to.

I’m sure I could keep this up for years, and I’m equally as sure many already have. You just have to be the type of person that doesn’t naturally find trouble and get on people’s bad sides, and is able to smell a crooked empolyer after one meeting.

Do you actually think the government doesn’t know about illegal workers?

LOL !! It’s not a secret.