Deportation - reentry on different passport?

Hey, if a teacher is caught by the immigration office for working at a school other than the one stated on their ARC, how likely are the chances of them getting deported? Could they maybe just be asked to lay a fine?

Also if they were deported could they reenter Taiwan on a different passport?

They may be just given notice to leave by a certain date than arrested and deported. Currently the ban on re-entry for working illegally is 3 years, though if the new Immigration Act posposals are passed in the Legislative Yuan then it will be 10 years.

第 18 條 外國人有下列情形之一者,移民署得禁止其入國:
Article 18 Foreigners who have one of the following circumstances may be prohibited from entering the country by the Immigration Agency:

十二、曾經逾期停留、居留或非法工作。
12. Has overstayed, residency or worked illegally.

第一項第十二款之禁止入國期間,自其出國之翌日起算至少為一年,並不得逾十年。
The period of prohibition of entering the country under Subparagraph 12 of Paragraph 1 shall be at least one year from the day following the date of leaving the country and shall not exceed ten years.
法源法律網-法規草案 -行政院會通過「入出國及移民法」部分條文修正草案(2023-01-13)

1 Like

So if they were inly asked to leave by a certain date, doesnt that mean they could reenter then since they were not deported?

They would already have been given notice that they are banned from re-entry and they have to leave by a certain date. Upon leaving the entry ban counter will start from the following date that they leave.

1 Like

The person wasnt given any letter or notice from then immigration office. Would they receive this notice immediately from being caught, or would it take some time?

Also can the person reenter on a different passport do you reckon?

If they were given a notice that they need to leave by a certain date and are banned from reentey how is that different from being deported then? It seems the samw to me. And I’m not talking about forced deportation

Ok then its the same idea I guess, we are just not taking about the Regulations Governing Forcible Deportation of Foreigners
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0080194

Not sure, here is the information from the Ministry of Interior (who the National Immigration Agency is under)

b .Working illegally, shall be subject to a ban from entry for three years.
The period of the entry ban stated in the preceding paragraph starts from the day following the exit of the alien.
https://www.moi.gov.tw/english/News_Content.aspx?n=7630&s=143762

1 Like

No. You are fingerprinted on entry so they’ll know you are the same person even if you enter on a passport from another country with a different name.

8 Likes

Years ago, I recall coming across people who had changed their names and got back in. But how would that work with facial recognition at immigration, for example?

1 Like

I thought about this too, but I’m skeptical that this could be done fast enough for routine use at immigration (i.e., that they could check each incoming traveler against everybody who’s previously entered Taiwan in <30 seconds, say).

I thought they use fingerprints primarily as an additional proof of identity. I’ve actually been pulled over before when entering Taiwan because they said my fingerprints didn’t match what they had on file for me (I was traveling with the same fingers).

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have some mechanism for quickly detecting people entering Taiwan on multiple passports/identities, though. For example, based on name, date of birth, facial features, or some parameters/hash derived from those. And I suppose they could run fingerprints against the database after people have already entered.

I guess that immigration agencies don’t publish much public info about the techniques they use, for obvious reasons.

To sort of answer the question, I don’t think immigration would be impressed if they caught you entering on a different passport after they’ve given you an entry ban (they banned the individual, not their passport), and I don’t think it’d be a good idea to put yourself in that situation.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t work. I know people who (legally) traveled on different passports that have different names years and years ago who have gotten in trouble at passport control in certain countries in the past few years (pre COVID). They could have basically “assumed a second identity” even seven years ago, due to the “mismatch” in records, but since the finger prints and photos are in increasingly more specific software/databases, that’s come back to bite them. I’ve heard a few news stories pop up about how “hard it is to be a spy in the 2020s” for exactly this same reason.

1 Like

According to NIA on this:

To enhance effectiveness of immigration clearance and border management, the NIA has set up Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) and Advance Passenger Processing System (APP), which allow early screening prior to the arrival of suspected travelers and other restricted passengers to prevent them from entering the borders. The Biometric Verification System has been deployed in all main airports and seaports since August 1, 2015, and individual data of aliens were filed using facial images and fingerprints to prevent imposters and identity fraud.

Also the biometric data is held for 20 years, unless a foreigner is naturalised, then it’s deleted within 6 months.

3 Likes

Exactly.

And with this said, everyone please stop discussing whether or not one can enter with a different passport.

If a person is banned, they stay out. We don’t discuss illegal things here… like circumventing entry bans.

3 Likes

Sure they can. But all foreigners are fingerprinted so won’t matter what passport you use.

I travel frequently with different nationality passports using difference names never been an issue. It was only ever an issue at one country where in one passport I had two different names in the same passport.

1 Like

They would simply deport the person.

What do you think I was suggesting? That Taiwan immigration would execute them on the spot?

It’s still going to be a problem if someone flies here thinking they can get in on another passport and they can’t.

Good for you. I was almost detained in China in 2018 because I was traveling with someone with multiple citizenships who had entered under those other passports (and names) in the early 2000s. That person was brought over to secondary for at least a few hours and I wasn’t allowed past the passport check either, because they knew I was traveling with this person.

Maybe not execution. Maybe spend time in a detention center first.

I did the same thing. Traveled to China on an Australian diplomatic passport then entered later on with a Taiboazheng and Chinese name and ID… Completely baffled them They asked me if Australia was having secret relations with Taiwan. They also asked me why I did’t move to China and I replied I was barred from traveling to communist countries for 5 years after I left the foreign service, or as you may know it as State Department. So I moved to the closest non communist part of China I could get to. Taiwan. They were not amused hehehehe

2 Likes